“The best fish restaurant in town”

Soul Bar and Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Soul Bar and Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 2,450 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 100
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 9 September 2017

If you come to this place at night, you have the full panorama of the Auckland harbor in front of you, this is a great view. We have tested several fisch restaurants in town, the soul bar is definitely the best. First of all they offer an incredible choice of fresh fisch. oysters and any kind of seafood. Second the waiters give you perfect advices concerning your favorite options. So we decided to start with three different starters, different "crudos" and crabs. All had been perfect prepared and they offered a unique taste. The main dishes consisted of 4 different fishes, red snapper, tuna, and flounder. Again extremely well prepared, combined with almonds, spices and vegetables, a round taste. Concerning the wines we started with a light NZ pinot noire and than we danced to a more advanced pinot noire form NZ too. AS a desert we decided to taste some of the famous NZ cheeses, which was a good decision. They can concurrent with famous french and Italian cheeses, especially the sheep chases were perfect. The waiters recommendation was on the point and everybody enjoyed.

1  Thank jmayer01

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Soul Bar has been a long time favourite of mine. You can't beat its position and on a sunny day sitting outside looking out over the water and yachts it is beautiful.
I have great respect also that Soul have created a vegetarian menu which is another key reason I choose to go there.
I have been twice in the last week. Reporting on the food as follows.
Entree of Baby kale salad is really nice. A good size too. Entree of Robiolino cheese and long toast was awesome, worth going back for!
However I didn't enjoy the two mains. The first was the mushroom tortelli. The flavour was overthrown with such a rich butter sauce. I only ate half as it was too rich for me. And I do love butter.
The second time I tried the butternut and ricotta cannelloni. This was quite tasteless and dry. Again I only ate half. Why they don't have a tasty sauce, or any sauce with it is beyond me. Even the pasta was dry.
To be honest if I hadn't of been with guests each time I would have sent both meals back. And I rarely ever would do that.
Just like to note also that although they have a vegetarian menu, thank you, it would be nice if the mains weren't 90 pc pasta choices. Compared to all the effort that goes into the meat dishes I feel more effort could be made for more adventurous meals for us difficult vegetarians.
The entrees are mainly salads too which is nice but could be a lot more adventurous there too. Just saying in my opinion.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

On a recent visit to Auckland (from Melbourne) we dined at Soul Bar based on a recommendation. Soul Bar did not disappoint. Excellent service from the moment we walked in. The waiter was friendly and very knowledgeable of the menu. The highlights were the Salt & Pepper Squid and the steak. Great food, generous serves and value for money. Can highly recommend Soul Bar and am already looking forward to my next visit

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Soul has earned its reputation as one of Auckland's established eateries, any traveller wanting to experience the best of the viaduct in the land of the Americas cup should dine here. The service is always exemplified only by the fabulous menu and outstanding wine list

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Resturent has good atmosphere and exclernt menu. Good to sit outside in summer time but can be a bit cold during June to Sept period. Excellent service