See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 January 2016

We had stayed in a B & B in the Bay of Islands for same price at the start of our trip and we were very disappointed when we stayed here at the end of our holiday. No comparison in service and quality of the rooms. Bad communication from owners that they were not going to be there during our stay.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Kate P, Owner at Big Blue House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2016

Hi Jacqui
I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We work hard to make our guests comfortable and look after them. I was away when you came but had left the house in good hands. We usually let guests know we will be away but it must have slipped my mind this time what with Christmas and getting away on holiday. I'm glad you had a good time in New Zealand and hope your visit to Auckland went well, kind regards, Kate.

Reviewed 17 May 2015

I always stay here on my trips to Auckland. Kate and Lynne provide a wonderful personal service without being too obtrusive...And it's great value! Heartily recommended! There's a great little coffee shop down the road too..

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2015

We have stayed here on more than one occasion and loved it ! The rooms were clean and comfortable and it is very much what it says on the tin !! A "homestay" but with the VERY best hospitality ever! The other facilities are just the icing on the cake to what was a lovely place to stay which is pretty much central for most sight seeing. We will be visiting our family there again next year so this may well be on our list of peaceful, just us, retreats !!

Room Tip: The large Ensuite room on the front corner is great for either just a couple or it is easily big enough to be a family room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I travelled with 2 children from the UK to NZ and stayed here for just over 2 weeks... the ladies were very accomodating and friendly, always asking if we had everything we needed and suggesting things to do for the kids. We had the big room upstairs, with views over Grey Lynn and down to the ocean, beautiful! There is a fridge in the room and drink making facilites which was useful but we could help ourselves to drinks, fruit and yoghurts from the fridge downstairs any time. The room also has sky tv and a selection of books to borrow as well as 2 single beds and a double, the room was also en-suite, all nicely presented and clean. The lounge downstairs is huge and the swimming pool and hot tub were excellent for an afternoons entertainment for the kids when sightseeing got too much..
Breakfast always came with a fresh baked loaf of bread, cereals and plenty of fruit and yoghurts and freshly brewed coffee and teas.
Overall, a lovely quiet house in a great area for exploring Auckland... Grey Lynn park is in walking distance, there is a good bus service and its close to the local shops.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Cerveza-y-sol
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The ladies of the Big Blue House went out of their way to make me feel welcome in their house and in Auckland - I couldn't have had a better start there! They were very helpful and friendly. I liked the room very much, it was spacious and clean. And the towels there were the thickest and softest I ever had! *lol*

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo