See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 May 2015

I always stay here on my trips to Auckland. Kate and Lynne provide a wonderful personal service without being too obtrusive...And it's great value! Heartily recommended! There's a great little coffee shop down the road too..

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2015

We have stayed here on more than one occasion and loved it ! The rooms were clean and comfortable and it is very much what it says on the tin !! A "homestay" but with the VERY best hospitality ever! The other facilities are just the icing on the cake to what was a lovely place to stay which is pretty much central for most sight seeing. We will be visiting our family there again next year so this may well be on our list of peaceful, just us, retreats !!

Room Tip: The large Ensuite room on the front corner is great for either just a couple or it is easily big enough to be a family room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I travelled with 2 children from the UK to NZ and stayed here for just over 2 weeks... the ladies were very accomodating and friendly, always asking if we had everything we needed and suggesting things to do for the kids. We had the big room upstairs, with views over Grey Lynn and down to the ocean, beautiful! There is a fridge in the room and drink making facilites which was useful but we could help ourselves to drinks, fruit and yoghurts from the fridge downstairs any time. The room also has sky tv and a selection of books to borrow as well as 2 single beds and a double, the room was also en-suite, all nicely presented and clean. The lounge downstairs is huge and the swimming pool and hot tub were excellent for an afternoons entertainment for the kids when sightseeing got too much..
Breakfast always came with a fresh baked loaf of bread, cereals and plenty of fruit and yoghurts and freshly brewed coffee and teas.
Overall, a lovely quiet house in a great area for exploring Auckland... Grey Lynn park is in walking distance, there is a good bus service and its close to the local shops.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Cerveza-y-sol
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The ladies of the Big Blue House went out of their way to make me feel welcome in their house and in Auckland - I couldn't have had a better start there! They were very helpful and friendly. I liked the room very much, it was spacious and clean. And the towels there were the thickest and softest I ever had! *lol*

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2011

After seeing this house on the Internet for a while I was quite excited to stay here and when we pulled up the location wasn't exactly what I imagined but it was fine. We saw a group of young people on sofas in the garage next door and wondered whether they would be noisy during our stay but there weren't.
We were shown around by other guests and the owners were nowhere to be seen until the next day. Once we were in the hallway of the house we almost left as it was quite dark and old fashioned but at the same time quite quirky and unusual. We went and had a look at our room (the ensuite) and this room is in fact very large and lovely with SKY tv including the movies, a fridge, table and chairs and one queen bed and one single. It has been updated since the last photos were taken and it would pay the owners to update the picture as it really is so much better looking.
The ensuite was very clean but the shower could do with a mat as the tiles are quite slippery.
The room has a great view over the roof tops and you can see the sea and at night it was very lovely with all the sparkling lights.
The guest book revealed that people were very happy and very impressed with the comfortable bed but I have to say that both beds were extremely unconfortable and both my friend and I had sore backs the next morning (we are only in our early thirties!). So not a great bed at all in my opinion.
My friend and I were excited to use the hot tub but went down to check and this was not available as it had not been working for a while apparently and to be honest this was one of the reasons for our stay so it pays to check that all the facilities are actually working.
We ordered a cooked breakfast for the Sunday morning and whilst the host was extremely accommodating and lovely it really was not up to scratch at all. The bacon was not cooked enough, the eggs were made poached but they were dripping in water when put onto our plates and this is just something that I feel is important to get right.

I was looking forward to staying here again but I really feel the price of the room is a little too high. Some Auckland hotels offer similar rates and are in town, have new beds, SKY TV and the chance to order a really good breakfast. Plus you don't need to pay loads for a taxi back.

It definately has a home from home feel and the host was extremely lovely and if you are not fussed about breakfast, price, location or a very soft unsupported bed then this will do just nicely!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends