“Convenient - thats about it”
Review of Alpers Lodge

Alpers Lodge
Ranked #56 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 22 June 2017

We stayed here due to it being almost the closest accommodation to the Surgical Centre on St Marks Road. I had asked that we have a ground floor as our daughter's leg was operated on, she was in a brace unable to bend it and so could not negotiate steps/stairs very well. Two steps up to the main door and then into the room and hello, steps up into the shower - couldn't believe it. When I first walked in the lady at the counter just said Yes like as if to say who are you and what do you want. So I spoke back to her in the same manner. Another young asian gentleman had the same mannerism. There was another lady on reception who was quite nice. Not too sure if they understand what a service of the room meant as to my understanding the bathroom usually is the main part that needs a service and yet flannels were left in the bottom of the shower etc. Despite all this, beds were comfy and it is convenient to the Newmarket shopping area. Also one of your questions is does this motel have kitchenettes? Well I would have thought a kitchenette meant two hotplates on the counter but no. Maybe just a misunderstanding.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 May 2017

The room did have clean sheets on the bed and clean towels in bathroom but the rest of the room needed a damn good clean. For the price of room I would expect a lot more, as in seats to relax in very old, hard as rocks one of them, the other seat lost any springyness and it felt like I would fall straight through.

Asphalt around Lodge appalling, lumpy, bumpy and full of pot holes, no numbered parks to match your room, so take your pick of what's left and then walk some distance to get to your room. No help whatsoever from staff even though I was obviously disabled. Oh and it's on a one way street, not advertised this way, inconvenience plus.

Room Tip: No comment.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Older Motel, probably a little run down but clean and very handy to the wharf and city centre, Asian managed, bed was comfortable, a little noisy but then we live in the country so not used to neighbours!!! well priced and very helpful, food available which we took advantage of and was also reasonably priced and presented. Free internet was good too.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2017

The rooms are old. The shower dribbled water and the entrepreneurial manager even charged us to use the BBQ. Whilst using the outdoor furniture, two of the chairs broke.
$4 per load of washing in the communal laundry. The only positive was being able to hear the birds (one in particular that sounded like a cat) through the paper thin walls.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2017

This is a very old dated property. I stayed here as needed to move out of my house for a few nights. We stayed in the unit area not in the main lodge. The units are standard motel units and I guess what you would expect in a motel so I didn't have a issue with the room. Big beds and a couch and chair. Fridge and microwave were very handy.
We asked for a accessible room and I was informed that is what we got, but let me tell you this is not an accessible room. The room is not suitable for wheelchairs, you could not get into the bathroom and the shower is in a box unit with a step up to it.
The motel did serve its purpose for us however, one thing I did not like was that there are people actually living in these units. Whilst harmless I expect, it did put me off guard. I felt like I was being watched the whole time, especially by the resident next door. And across from us a domestic broke out one night.
I would not stay here on my own!
Area is good, but I didn't feel totally safe in the street. Very handy to Newmarket.
Just remember you get what you pay for and I did get it at a good price.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family