“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Invercargill, New Zealand
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Got a great deal off wotif.co.nz so great room rate. Looked out on SkyTower out our room window. Room lovely and clean, everything we needed for girls shopping trip. Nice and central. Caught link buses round the corner. Viaduct restaurants and bars a short stroll away, as is Queen Street and shops. Would definitely stay here again if get more good rates like this was. Didn't eat at the restaurant. Staff pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed twice, on 7th floor and 13th, both great rooms with SkyTower views. Great to help you fin...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank GTG2
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review on your stay with us at Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased we had everything you needed for a great girls shopping trip in the city.
The location really is great for shopping in and around Auckland and of course so close to the Skytower and Viadust harbour.
I hope you don’t leave it too long to have another great girls shopping trip in town as we would love to welcome you back soon.
Warm regards,

Quenton
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed here on our final night in Auckland before flying home to Sydney. Our flight was at 9am the next day. I asked at the desk how early we would need to get to the airport when I was trying to book a shuttle (not wanting to make the taxi mistake again -- it cost $NZ80 to get into town when we arrived!). The guy said four hours. Four hours? For a flight Sydney? You must be kidding. He told me that was just the way it was for international flights out of Auckland. So that meant we would need to get up no later than 4am, allowing for the shuttle picking up at other hotels, so we could arrive at the airport at 5am.

I tried to find something about this on the Air NZ website but could not. So I rang the airline. The Air New Zealand lady on the phone told me that two hours "would be more than sufficient" and that she didn't know why the Rydges person would say four hours. As nice as Auckland Airport is (and it is nice), no one wants to spend two unnecessary hours there at the crack of dawn. Rydges should not be misleading their guests in this way. Of course, even getting there at 6am was too early.

As for the room, it was perfectly nice with a comfortable bed. But when I ordered a bucket of ice, there was no scoop provided so we had to use a coffee mug. Then we discovered there were no tumblers in the cabinet, only huge delicate wineglasses. Naturally, though, there all sorts of mixed-drink items in the minibar! All the surfaces were covered in glass but there were no coasters to catch the condensation. Out came the tissues.

The in-room manual said there was no free WiFi in rooms but it actually worked, if slowly.
The flush button for the toilet was very hard to push in. An elderly person or someone with arthritis would have had trouble. When you are paying this kind of money, the little things really do matter, I'm afraid. We won't be back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on your stay with us at Ryges Auckland – I would firstly like to apologise for being told to get to the airport 4 hours early, the staff and concierge are very well informed of the times it takes to get to and from the airport and how long to be there for both international and national flights – although not all international flights and carriers have the same check in rules.
I am pleased you found the room nice and the bed comfortable.
I am also pleased you mentioned the flush button for the toilet, this has been mentioned previously by past guests and we have listened, after months of designing we have finally started renovations on the bathrooms in the hotel, this includes total overhaul of the showers and baths and of course replacing the toilet flusher for the reasons you mentioned. So thank you and the past guests for these comments.
I do hope you will decided to visit us again very soon.
Best wishes,

Highworth UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

This hotel is right in the centre of Wellington. Beware it cost $25 per night to park our car. A very well appointed but soul-less hotel. Close to shops and waterfront. Did not eat in hotel.A great little cafe next door where we had a superb breakfast at reasonable price. Apparently a lot of guests at Rydges opt for this breakfast venue rather than be ripped off in hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I was at the Rydges as part of a conference booking. Location wise the hotel is quite central in downtown Auckland, with the Sky City Casino, restaurants and shops all within a leisurely walk from the hotel lobby.

On the downside, I was disappointed with the quality of the overall experience for the price paid. Rooms are furnished with basic (cheap) furniture and the bathroom looks/feels cheap. The rooms are noisy at times with thin walls. My room overlooked an adjacent apartment block (which was very close, and looked very impersonal) meaning that opening my curtains made it feel like I was being watched by dozens of student neighbours.

The hotel internet is both expensive (although included in my room rate) and unreliable. Wifi would drop out frequently, probably due to poor network design and overlapping signals from the nearby student/budget apartments. I could not do Skype calls with the internet.

Breakfast was also disappointing. Coffees are good in the lobby coffee shop though - so that's a good way to kick start your morning.

Many maintenance issues in the hotel. The worst was the elevator door on my floor - every time it opened there was a terrible screetch that would wake you every time someone used that lift. It was reported to the hotel but not fixed over my 4 nights in the hotel. I had to move room.

All up, it was an OK stay but I was looking forward to leaving.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello there,

Thank you so much for writing your review on your stay with us at Rydges Auckland, all reviews are taken very seriously and this is a great way to find out any of our guests concerns.
I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel and of course the wonderful coffees from the Barist’a on the Corner Cafe in the hotel lobby, it really is a great way to start the day, especially now it’s getting so much colder.
I would also like to thank you for commenting on the issues you experienced while staying with us, including the internet and squeaking lift doors as we can look into these as soon as possible.
I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Kind regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was an awesome experience in a surprising affordable hotel. It is close to everything and what you can't walk to there is plenty of public and private transportation available. Very clean comfortable room with all of the amenities.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Hello,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland and I am so pleased you had an awesome experience while staying with us.
Our location really is fantastic and very close to most things you would want to see and do and in the city.
I hope we can welcome you back soon for another awesome Rydges Auckland experience.
Regards,