“Seriously good modern Indian cuisine”
Review of Sauma

Sauma
Ranked #12 of 1,573 Restaurants in Perth
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Indian, Contemporary
Description: Serving Indian street food, curries, beers and great selection of whiskies in the heart of Northbridge.
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Wandering around the Northbridge area of Perth after a night at the rugby my wife and I decided to eat at Sauma. She had eaten there before but for me it was my first time.

Whilst I was initially put off by having to wait for a table (it was a busy Saturday night) we were offered seats and drinks or water whilst waiting. As it turned out the wait was not long and we were soon seated. It was well worth the small wait!

The food was outstanding and we managed to order just the right quantity. For me the highlights were the squid dish that we started with and the banana leaf fish. The squid was cooked to perfection with a lovely slightly charred tinge. The fish was just amazing. We ordered a side of garlic naan and I can say with all honesty that it was the best I had ever eaten. And I have eaten it many times throughout India and Asia. The cheese naan was also very good but could not beat the garlic!

Whilst we really didn't need desserts after such a good meal we were tempted by the dessert tasting plate. Just exceptionally good and delicious.

Service was very good. Our orders were taken promptly and dishes served very timely. As to the value. We shared a rather good South Australian Sauvignon Blanc with the meal and the total was a $125. I would challenge anyone to get a better meal and wine for this price in Perth these days.

Highly recommended.

2  Thank MrAustralasia

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Came here on a whim as we were just walking to la cholita but decided to go here instead. I lived in india for a few months and the food was so authentic. Hands down the best indian food i've had in Perth. Menu was spot on and couldn't fault a thing. Staff were so helpful and seemed to really happy to be there. Great wine, great food, great atmosphere and staff- not sure what else you could really want. We will definitely be back!!! Our new fave northbridge restaurant! Really happy :)

2  Thank Isabellaclark
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

A range of dishes great to share - a little costly for the quantity but the taste can't be faulted. The Indian inspired cocktails are imaginative and all to easy to enjoy.

1  Thank FrancesB B
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely lunch today. I had chicken pieces with green salad, yummy. Ashley can't finish her apple juice and the waitress suggested to put it in a plastic cup. Impressive.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Conveniently located in the busy spot in William St, Northbridge near the State Library, WA Art Gallery and Perth Cultural Centre - great stop for locals and tourists. A skip and hop from the Perth Central train station. A nice stop for daily browsers, work lunch, Fringe Festival goers, or State Theatre fans seeking a meal. Service is quick, and food is delicious. We loved the mountain goat curry, and curry prawns. The raita yoghurt was fresh and good complement to spicy curries.
If we had more time, we would have tried the cocktails.
Seating types options are available for young, or family types. Comfortable seating with just enough privacy for a couple on a date, and ambience is classy and yet down to earth - which is perfect for Northbridge.

1  Thank E H