“Good location, modern design”

Riverview on Mount Street
Ranked #9 of 53 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Reviewed 22 December 2011

The hotel has an excellent location: It is very central, in walking distance to the CBD and convention center, but also in a quite residential street which feels safe and is very peaceful allowing a good rest.

I loved the modern design of the rooms and the cleanliness. Very comfortable place. Helpful staff. There was no reception after 7 pm but they somehow manage it even if you arrive yet, and I had no problems.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ELA-may
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Riverview on Mount Street

Reviewed 5 December 2011

Have people started developing unrealistic expectations when it comes to accommodation? I believe so. I see one reviewer of this establishment bemoaned the fact that there that was no coffee plunger and associated glasses despite the fact that they were advertising a “fully equipped kitchen”.

Oh dear did I laugh. I have a “fully equipped kitchen” at home and I don’t have a coffee plunger or associated glasses either. I invite this person to visit the Duxton, The Richardson or even the Hyatt to be again be disappointed by the lack of such specifics.

My wife and I spent a night at the Riverview on Mount St as her employee was holding a Christmas Party in Kings Park and so the location was within easy staggering……I mean walking distance from the venue.

As per usual I did a little research on line and was a little worried at the raft of negative reviews however, upon pulling up outside first impressions were good. The café was open and reasonably busy, the site was clean and appealing and in the reception the décor looked modern and thankfully not as generic as other ‘boutique’ hotels.

The young lady at the reception was professional and kind and a little hic-up with a credit card (my fault) did not phase her at all and was resolved promptly and with a minimum of fuss.

The room was a pleasant surprise as well. A bit too much black and white but that is a reflection of my personal tastes and not the fault of the hotels. I’m sure other people will find it clean, minimalist and ‘funky’.

There was a fully equipped, clean and modern kitchen, a flat screen tv with a remote that I could actually figure out and a first, an iPod dock which was very handy as I had forgotten the charger for my iPhone. The carpets were new, the towels scratchy and plentiful and the bathroom was modern and clean (although a tad small for my clumsy frame).

Having been down to the beach earlier I was in need of a nap and the bed did not disappoint. It was firm, comfortable and an actual queen size not two singles zipped together. There was the usual layers of sheets which personally don’t float my boat (give me a blanket any time of the week) but I can understand why it’s done and it’s not a show stopper in my book.

Another nice surprise was a full sized balcony not a book shelf with railings. Some nice chairs and a sizeable chunk of jarrah as a coffee table meant there was somewhere for me to have a cigarette, a beer and a bit of a doze.

I really can’t fault the place, or the price I paid ($200 for a Standard Studio). The location is great, Kings Park is literally 5 minutes walk away and its location means traffic noise is the faintest of rumbles, far less than the more substantial sounds you can hear if you stay in the city centre.

If I have one gripe and this applies to all hotels that offer this facility it is tatty ironing boards.

Much to the surprise of my wife I wanted to iron one of my shirts. There was a good quality iron and full sized ironing board available. However, the foam had worn away and the cover was now directly over the metal slats. This means, once heated up, the paint on the metal slats come through the cover and stained my shirt. This same thing happened to me in Melbourne recently which was a shame as in both instances I ruined a shirt I liked.

My fault I should have checked but its something for hotels to be mindful off. There are some things in a room that wear out or wear down such as tv remote batteries and ironing board covers. It would be a good idea to check and replace both on a regular basis as it is the little things that can make or break and fantastic holiday experience.

With that said I genuinely liked the Riverview and I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear if you want a full sized balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sven W
Reviewed 1 November 2011

At $370 per night - nor even a flat screen tv. No wifi, no amenities. While self contained - is cramped and dated with aged decor. A lack of screens prevent opening doors and windows at night - one of the key features of the location. Location is superb - a short walk to Perth CBD and the park.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The Riverview is very close the Perth CBD and we stayed there from the 31st of August for 5 nights. The main Hay Street and Murray Street precints are walking distance. Getting to the Barrack Street Jetty for river cruises or Swan Valley wine tastings are also easy from the Riverview. The Northbridge entertainment district is a tad further but it is also walkable. The glorious King's Park is an easy 1km walk. So location wise, the Riverview is spot on. Accommodation in Perth seems very expensive as a rule, so the Riverview offers a pleasant respite if you want to stay close to the 'action', yet need a quiet place to kip! Now its called "The Riverview on Mount Street". Mount St is close to the Swan River, but don't be taken by the advertising puff in the name. There is NO riverview. Its a shame really, as the view of the Swan River from the buildings opposite the Riverview would be excellent. The reception was always manned professionally by pleasant staff. Both Rina and Eric Maina who attended to most of our needs were thoughtful, helpful and pleasant. We didn't try the cafe/bistro in the building. But Perth offers so many decent options for food, that this was never a problem. We were given Apartment 3. It was on the ground floor and was big with a ensuite, kitchenette, patio and an adequate, albeit barren garden! It was quite cool and it rained for most of the 5 days we were there, so we didn't have much use for the outdoor space. The ensuite is functional but cramped. And the 'once-a-week-only-clean' can tend to leave it a little worse for wear after 3 or 4 days. Call us old fashioned, but we do like someone else to clean the toilets when we pay over $200 a night! The furniture was pleasant enough with an excellent bed, a small flat screen and enough cupboard space. The kitchenette was really nicely stocked. It had everything from crockery to cutlery. The dining table was rudementary but that wasn't a big deal for us. The real odd thing was the jet-black walls... well, it can take some getting used to. The main drawback we reckon with this ground floor apartment, was that it did feel damp. It could have been due to the rain, but the overwhelming black paint-job coupled with the dampness did give it a rather dickensian and bleak feel. We wanted to move to a different apartment but we were told they had no availability. We would consider staying here again, but would opt for an apartment on a higher floor - they had 4 floors. They looked more breezy and airy. Blow for blow against a full service hotel, the main advantages of the Riverview are the generous size of the apartment itself and the proximity to the centre, while being on a quiet suburban street. The downsides are the lack of daily housekeeping and some of the other trappings of a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShSuKL
Reviewed 6 August 2011

These apartments in West Perth are conveniently located close to the CBD. The apartments are a modern refurbishment of some 1930's brick units. The apartments are quite spacious with kitchen and reasonably ample secure free car parking. Reception is closed after 7 pm, so you need to be careful to make prior arrangements if checking in late. Staff are quite corteous and apartments clean. No complaints

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business