“Good location, friendly people, clean room, cozy environment” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Witch's Hat Backpackers Hostel

Witch's Hat Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #2 of 59 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
“Good location, friendly people, clean room, cozy environment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

This review is for the double room only, stayed in the double room for a week, but not the dorm.

The location is great, only 5 minutes drive to city center, and it is near Northbridge chinese area where you still can get nice food at night.

The room is not very big, but quite clean. No bed bugs and bad smell, very comfortable for couple to stay in the double room.

Staff are friendly and helpful, especially a lady who checked us in named SKY. A rack with lots of travel informations, maps, and leaflets is available in the hostel. Felt so cozy and homy by the time we first stepped in.

Kitchen is also very good, cookware are complete, clean, and easy to use.

Night time around 7-10pm are quite noisy, people will gathered in the kitchen yard to eat, drink, and sing, almost every night. Not very comfortable if you plan to sleep early.
But they really follow the 10pm house rule, the party will end and the yard will close at 10pm sharp.

Overall a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are without toilet, so choose a room which is close to the shared toilet will be a bonus.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SingCheong_Tan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Northwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I would just like to say that having stopped in the Hat from the start of Jan to around 20th Jan I had the best time and found the hostel to be clean, friendly and fun without being too in your face. There was a good mixture of age ranges as well most from mid twenties to early thirties which was great and it was so easy to make friends.
Yes its a bit more expensive than others but you get what you pay for and yes there is deposit for your plate etc and key but you get this all back, I didnt see a problem with it and they put a bbq on every sunday called the sausage sizzle! If you are wanting help with booking trips or just advice in general of where to go in Perth the management and other long standing residents are only too happy to help. Location wise its just a short walk into town or you can get the blue cat buses which are a really good service.
I came out on my own to Australia as a lot of people do and was nervous at first of staying in a hostel not knowing anybody but there is really no worries with anything to do with Hat, I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this to anybody and when I get back to WA booking in at the Hat will be the first thing I do.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Bali
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I have recently left the hat after spending 4 months there so my review is based over a considerably amount of time. So here goes:

1. On the website it says that the plates and cutlery are without hire-charge, which is true but you pay a deposit. The reality is if you take your eye of them for a minute they will go missing so more likely or not you will lose your deposit. Secondly in the 4 months I was there the management never (not once) provided free tea, coffee, milo, sugar, rice or flour. If there was any free food is was left by the previous residents.

2. It is situated in a good location near the bars and cafes of Northbridge but far enough way that you don’t get the noise associated with such premises.

3. It is expensive probably the most expensive hostel in Perth that I know of. You do NOT get your money worth. For instance there is air conditioning in all the rooms but the management turn it off every morning at 9 o’clock no matter if its 40 Celsius out side. However the air conditioning in their office is on all day long.

4. The actual building is homely and it does create a welcoming atmosphere.

5. The management have tidied up the hostel painted the halls and they have taken down almost all the washing lines as they were an eye sore. That means the entire hostel has to dry their clothes on 3 washing lines! This might not seem like much but its symptomatic of their thinking, they think in terms of what will look nice and not how it will impact on the lives of those living in the hostel.

6. In terms of how clean the hostel is, it has had its up's and down's, really depending on the residents and how well they tidy up after themselves. However on the whole relatively speaking it is one of the cleaner hostels I have stayed in.

7. On the social scene it depends much on who was staying there at the time but on the whole its relatively quiet on the weekdays but understandably gets a little louder on the weekends.

To summarise the hostel has potential to be a great hostel however due to price increases and the penny pinching nature of the management (I am sad to say this as I had some fun times at the Hat) but it is not worth staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Judy D
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Now I understand we can't get a good accommodation even though we pay more than the usual backpackers.
We arrive as a couple on 10th of January 2012. I asked before the check-in by email if it's possible to check us in around 11 pm. When we arrived there, few people helped us to open the gate (quite safe backpackers 25 or 30 minutes walk from the city).
After the receptionist checked us in our double room, we didn't have any cover, blanket, the room was so cold that we got sick for the rest of our travel. I had to ask if we could have something! What's more it was dirty. But we just had to check-out the next morning. The receptionist asked us to let the keys under the door because it was too early (06h40). Be aware of that if they ask you a key deposit.

I had booked 2 other nights from 12th of January, we arrived to check-in, no problem although I had to ask to someone else where was the receptionist... He gave us the keys we tried around 5 minutes to open the door (it was almost midnight! WE JUST WANTED to sleep). We couldn't entered and then the receptionist came to open us and he tried to fix the door. He did it and we closed the door.
The problem was: we could'nt get out the room! Impossible... We had to call the backpackers (fortunately I kept the phone number!) to ask someone to help us! They opened by hitting the door and then have fixed it.

The shower room and toilet were very dirty, with one big spider in one of them, crushed... During the 2 nights we were there, 2 parties! The people are so loud, the music is so high and next to the rooms.

We paid 88$ per night. Although they gave us back 40 dollars, it doesn't give me a good opinion of this backpackers. I think we could have found much better and cheaper, like City YHA Perth...
Never go there!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aradis
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

This place aint all bad. It has a cosy kinda charm to it. Travellers at the time were all fairly young (early to mid 20's), lively and friendly. A few long term stayers who are working in Perth. All rooms are ground floor level (no lugging your bag up stairs).
The worst thing here was it wasnt the cleanest place I've seen. The floor of the room I stayed in didnt look like it had been cleaned in a while (there was a dead roach in the corner - even he couldnt hack the dust!). There are a few live ones too, be warned.
The living/ dining area and kitchen are fine (although I didnt cook whilst I was here). Bathrooms are ok. Outside area is a good place to congregate. There are small lockers in the rooms.
Stay here if you're not gonna be spending all day in the hostel as its well located near the city.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo