“Best tiramisu in the world - yes it's true”
Review of Grossi Florentino

Grossi Florentino
Ranked #58 of 4,249 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Description: Grossi Florentino Upstairs
Reviewed 31 March 2015

From the street, I stepped down into the dining room. The tables were close together and the waiters were busily tending to patrons. I was seated soon after at a table for two along the wall opposite the open kitchen - presumably, the grill. I ordered an Aperol spritz for apertivo to start.

Entree
We decided to share two entrees, the anchovy stuffed zucchini flowers ($26) and the special for the night, the prosciutto, figs and balsamic ($28).

Both entrees were fabulous. The only problem with the zucchini flowers is that there weren't enough of them! They were gorgeous - crisp light batter and stuffed with gooey mozzarella and the salty anchovy. Heavenly. Figs and prosciutto should just marry each other because they work so well. The sweet juicy plump figs with the salty delicate prosciutto that melted on my tongue, was divine.

Main
For main, we shared a huge 600g Black Angus T-bone steak ($52), cooked medium rare. I'm so glad we shared, it was a massive piece of meat.

The waiter presented us the steak first, then whisked it away and sliced it up for us to share - genius! The meat was charred just slightly on the outside and succulent and tender on the inside. It was a lovely steak, but - and I'm sorry Mr Grossi - it did not measure up to the Bistecca Fiorentina we had in Florence. In Florence and Tuscany, a special breed of beef is pasture-raised for bistecca fiorentna. For that reason, I expect it's not fair to compare the two.

For contorni (side dishes - all $12) were green beans with tomato and roast potatoes with rosemary and garlic - both delicious.

Dessert
Still reading? This is where it gets good...

After a query from my dining companion, the waitress said, "The chocolate pudding is good, but the tiramisu is amazing."

Yeah, right. My tiramisu is amazing.

"No, truly, this tiramisu is fabulous, it's really popular."

Popular? Sure, whatever. Popular doesn't cut it with me. Ordering tiramisu out has resulted in disappointment after disappointment in establishments across the globe - mainly because my version is so delicious!

My first spoonful evoked an intense reaction. The creamy layers were smooth and luscious, there was a taste of coffee, but it wasn't overpowering, almost a hint, and then the taste of rich bitter dark chocolate came through just after the coffee. Oh. My. God. I took a second taste just to be sure. Yes. I have found a tiramisu that's better than mine. I never thought it would or could happen. It was out of this world and definitely 100 per cent worth every calorie. Seriously good - and so good in fact I would say that it's worth going to Florentina for the Tiramisu alone.

1  Thank Di B

Reviewed 29 March 2015

I'm a bit of a picky eater however there are restaurants where you can try something a little different and Grossi is definitely one of those. There are plenty of options on the menu for all tastes and the pork skewer was delicious. The service is also fantastic - the staff are very attentive!

This is a place that is a must visit for fine dining in Melbourne.

1  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed 29 March 2015

Booked this restaurant for a special birthday occasion on Grossi Florentino reputation at The Grill . The staff and atmosphere was lovely and that's were it stopped. I had the baked clams; dry and ordinary $32 and then the La Fiorentina steak $52 - sound impressive. NO, a T bone steak with a small red cabbage vinaigrette; no Jus, sauce or even gravy for that matter, a lump if steak on a plate which can be done just as well on the back yard BBQ. I would have thought that this would be served with green beans and mushroom for example. I did order Patate Arrossto $12 which turned out to be a cut chip like potato; about 8 long wedges or 1 whole potato which was oily. I didn't bother with desert or coffee as by this stage I have thrown enough money at this restaurant and wasn't going to waste another $50 dollars. Very disappointed.

2  Thank HSJD700
Reviewed 27 March 2015

It was our 11th anniversary and we wanted to enjoy the romance. Alas -Not possible on a busy Saturday night. It was so noisy! Lots of staff around but hard to get their eye at first. Then Lucy appeared and everything was made right! We enjoyed the amuse bouche to start. Sadly the green risotto dish was just aweful but Lucy brought us both another entree which was nice. The main was wonderful and the wine list amazing. The chocolate souffle was superb.

1  Thank DrJanetHall
Reviewed 27 March 2015

While we were in Melbourne for the GP we tried to go here for dinner - The Grill was booked out, but we were able to sit at one of the tables out on the pavement, and this was just as a good an option (all the benefits of a great restaurant without the noise and heat of being inside). The food here is truely magnificent, with many great options: we had zucchini flowers for entree, then suckling lamb and the veal chop as mains. The wine list is outstanding, with many fine Italian wines to choose from. The staff are warm and friendly, and very knowledgable about the menu and wine list. If you're staying in the CBD and don't want to go out to Lygon Street for Italian - then you must go here.