“EXCELLENT”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 8 January 2018

There was a long line on New Year's Eve but the staff were accommodating everyone quickly and efficiently. The service provided to us was very friendly and beneficial in helping us decide from their comprehensive menu. My personal favourite were the mixed Chinese vegetables. They were full of flavour and the small size was perfect for me to eat all by myself. The prices are also very reasonable for the food that is there. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a full, fresh and satisfying Chinese meal. I surely will be back here whenever I visit Melbourne next.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

The food here was terrible. You couldn't pay me to eat here again. AND they serve SHARK, which is well known to be very unsafe to consume.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

We enjoyed a varied selection of yum cha, dumplings, pork meat, soft shell crab and various prawn dishes. All were delicious. The restaurant was very busy with many locals and visitors to Melbourne.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

My husband and I had wonderful memories of the excellent yum cha (dim sum) eaten in Melbourne when we lived there for a while. So after we checked into our hotel near Chinatown, we headed to Dragon Boat, based on the recommendation of a woman at reception. Alas, we failed to have the expected dining experience.

The clean, well-maintained restaurant itself was bright and cheery with typical Chinese decor. A huge street-side window brought much natural illumination into the dining room. The pleasant hostess seated us immediately in the half-full room. It was 2 p.m. and yum cha tends to attract diners from mid-morning to noon. Most of the customers appeared to be eating standard meals.

We ordered tea and the server set the tone for our lunch here. She immediately filled our cups from the teapot before the tea had time to steep. I sat there looking at my cup of hot water and poured it back in the pot. My husband followed suit and we waited for the tea to brew.

Trolleys came quickly because the place was uncrowded; but the first two were
crammed with fried offerings, and we avoid fried food. The servers seemed bored and failed to smile. Finally, steamed shrimp dumplings (our favorite) arrived and we ordered a basket. We quickly discovered that they had not been separated from each other and were in one big clump. The shrimp were rubbery and tasteless. Some of the other dumplings we ordered also lacked flavor. The only choice we made that we considered to be excellent was a pork and shrimp mixture, and the barbecued pork bun was above average.

We ordered a total of seven items and the bill came to $53 (AUS), a bit pricey for this kind of fare.

1  Thank Rumples
Reviewed 8 December 2017

We were impressed with the service and how hot the straight-from-the-kitchen dishes were. Our two choices were tasty, but we were surprised that the "seasonal" vegetables were so limited. A 20 year old restaurant that deserves its longevity.