“A disappointment I wouldn't stay there again” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Arnaud

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Melbourne
St. Arnaud
Ranked #12 of 16 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Hokitika, New Zealand
“A disappointment I wouldn't stay there again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

I arrived in Melbourne at the end of February this year to stay for a few days.i had intended
to stay at the St Arnaud as it looked very nice on the internet.However I was soon disappointed.The room was beautiful though it was quite a walk to the bathroom,
and the shower was DANGEROUSLY HOT.I nearly scalded myself badly.
The caretaker was unbelievably rude to me,so I did my best to avoid him during my
stay there.I was astounded the way he spoke to me and very nearly complained to
the manager.The one positive thing was the gusthouse was on the tram route to town,
and is close to the central city. shops,drycleaners etc and Toorak which is a nice area,and the Manager was very polite to me.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank andrewknight7
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

We booked 2 tripple rooms for 4 nights there. The room we stayed has stale and very unpleasant smell. Looks like the bedsheet is not changed as it did not smell fresh. The wall there is no sound proof. The shower rooms there only 1 with hot water. The rest are cold water. Very noisy! You could hear people open and close the door, perhaps to the toilet or there rooms. The kitchen only open at 7am and most of the time we need to leave early before 7am, either to join the Day Tour or to catch our flight. So we could not have the breakfast at all for the 4 days stay there. We asked the staff if we could prepare our breakfast which we entitled to the night before. She just brush us off and said rules are rules, she cannot change it!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Daphne013

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

Australian, stayed 5-6 times from countryside, most economic priced singlerooms, while working 2 days a week in Melbourne.

Location good (for work), near Botanical gardens, No. 8 tram bw city and Toorak, looks old wordly and charming, single rooms ok'ish, bathrooms average (often long walk).

My real issue was bed bugs once, and "attitude" of manager/owner (maybe tired of hospitality industry....) after mix upon reservation (very condescending), yes as comment said, English backpacker working on reception, cold as a fish, but an Australian and an Asian international student working there were fine (maybe saving grace).

Breakfast very average compared to main competitor on Toorak Rd., had to pay for wifi, and in winter rooms bit cool, i.e. small heaters not adequate.....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank balkanghost
Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

Was a bit worried about staying at the hostel after reading some of the reviews and if you are looking for a flashy hostel with all the trimmings then this isn't the one for you. If however, you are looking for a hostel with a bit of charm and character then this is it. Stayed 2 nights and the free internet, free breakfast, free rice and pasta made up for the fact that it is slightly out of town although the city centre is only a 35 min walk away or you can hop on a tram (there's a stop 2 min walk from the hostel). St Arnaud is in a quiet area and the building it self is like a big old house. The rooms are large and there are two TV areas, one with seating for dinner and a smaller, quieter one with sofas which is a nice area to sit and read or just chill out. The bathrooms are old and could do with updating but they were clean. The bed mattress wasn't brilliant but Ive slept in worse. Overall, a pretty good experience

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

St Arnauds looks like a quaint little guesthouse brimming with character, warmth and relaxation..it is NOT..arriving to rude receptionist, english girl with all the charisma of a wooden chair and a face like a smacked butt, you are given your map of the hotel without the curtsy, infact you'd be lucky if she maked eye contact, shuffled into a single room...with bunks, smells old, smells damp and feels eerie.. my tv didnt work, i was told it was because of the rain..riiight...fine, id booked four nights, im a backpacker who has settled in a house, inbetween houses looking for a property i thought id seek solice in St Arnauds while i got to work everyday and viewed property that night, i didnt sleep a wink on my first night as i was bitten several times by bed bugs....

no reception open to complain, no reception to switch rooms i made my way to the tv room where a antsy teen was watching action films, i had no choice but to sleep there for the night..freezing cold with a cat running around me..lovely and relaxing *scratch scratch

I got to work the next day with barely any sleep and called St Arnauds charming reception to complain and asked to move room (no accomdation available) they were less than happy and explained that 'we dont get bed bugs' OH REALLY...maybe i should have read the reviews...silly me. then follows a call 'i have great news..we moved your room' and why i asked 'unfortunately we do get bed bugs' ahhhhhh YOU DO???

So i was moved to a new room, i asked the staff to bring my bags to this new room as i was at work and worried about transferring these bugs to another room or to wherever i go..this didnt happen so i returned to my bags in same bed bug ridden room....i had to throw out all my luggae, jackets, clothes...stayed with a friend after that.....

so in summary i paid 250 dollars to sleep in a tv room, throw all my clothes out, have bed bug bites all over my arms face back and stomach..and the best they could do was refund me 63 dollars for the night i slept in the tv room.

THIS PLACE IS A DISGRACE, NEVER STAY HERE, STAFF ARE HORRENDOUS, ROOMS ARE DISGUSTING

Room Tip: dont stay here