“Wonderful location great gym”

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #5 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Langham really is central to beach, tourist sights along the river and has good meeting facilities. The room was large by European stds and well equipped except for one extremely frustrating design issue. All the electric outlets were so close to the edge of something (floor desk ) that one could not fit a purchased voltage adaptor that wasn't streamlined. Anywhere. I was consistently struggling to charge things off the one adaptor they had provided. The breakfast buffet was large and plentiful but any coffee specials ( long blacks cappuccino) took too long to deliver or were forgotten and never asked if you wanted another cup. They are also very strict about even bringing a banana out for later and made me leave it behind. Spa and gym were great lots of choices. Room service was quick and lovely but the food was just okay. Concierge not on the ball. They made a reservation for me at my request to go on a wine trip but never confirmed there was room and it was a go. Next day I get a call that the tour guide for a wine trip is waiting for me downstairs. The guy was kind enough to pick up other guests and come back for me in 5 min where I hurried upp and got dressed- excellent trip and recommendation but the concierge should have slipped a note or left a message. Check in and out was speedy but if you stay more than 3-4 days and your bill is over ~1000aud you have to pay it in parts.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank June K
DavidLM_LanghamMelb, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for your review and we’re glad to note that you found the hotel to be central to so many of Melbourne’s attractions – as well as great meetings facilities. We’re also pleased to hear that you found many choices in our Health Club that overlooks the Yarra River. We were sorry to hear about the issues with the electrical adapter, but we are able to provide with more in the room upon request – just contact our Housekeeping department. We will pass on your feedback about the concierge services to ensure corrective action is taken. You will be pleased to know that we now pre-authorise the cost of your stay on your credit card when you check-in so that you are no longer inconvenienced by multiple payments whilst with us. We do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back once again in the future.

David Landis-Morse

Guest Relations Manager

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Langham, Melbourne

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Aside from the great views and friendly staff, I found this hotel disappointing in every respect. I chose to stay here based on its being rated #1 on tripadvisor as well as being a member of the American express fine hotels and resorts. Two things that really influence my enjoyment of a hotel are the design and aesthetics of the hotel as well as the quality of food available. The hotels interiors are a bland mix of pinks, burgundy, brass, and "fancy hotel furniture" that seems meant to resemble antiques. The breakfast, high tea, and room service dinner were all average or worse. The service was slow and yet the prices for these disappointing meals were as high or higher than at really spectacular hotels like the Dorchester or Claridges or the park Hyatt Tokyo. I had an average massage in the somewhat worn spa--it felt more like a high school locker room than a luxury spa. Internet access was also average (slow and sometimes completely undetectable) but $25/day. Although I was upgraded, my room's bathroom felt cramped and dated. The doors to my closet wouldn't shut completely so the closet light was always on. Also I could hear the music and noise from the river area below the hotel. Overall everything was average/shappy but priced as if it were amazing.

I went to the recently renovated Grand Hyatt for lunch and left kicking myself for not having booked that hotel: beautiful new interiors, fantastic service, excellent cuisine, very central--and free wifi (at least for me as a Hyatt platinum). Mystified as to how the Langham is #1on tripadvisor.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Gandaratravels
darty27, Hotel Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you were pleased with the location of the hotel and our friendly staff. However I am sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of our product. We have contacted you directly so that we may investigate further and ensure that corrective action can be taken. Essentially, all Langham Hotels are classic in style and our interiors are a reflection of the same. In Chinese, Chuan Spa means a serene coursing of water and the facilities are modeled to reflect this harmony by using the principles of Feng Shui. The Spa has received many accolades and we will follow up on your comments. Langham Hotels and Resorts also have a guest programme entitled ‘’1865’’. Complimentary Wifi is included as one of the many benefits. Our food and beverage prices are very competitively priced and valued with other 5 star hotels in Australia. Thank you once again for your feedback. Please be assured that you can rely on our heritage of genuine service to ensure you next visit will be a memorable one.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Recommended by friends and the Langham did not disappoint. The location was excellent. Walkable to the CBD and shopping, Botanic Gardens, Olympic Park venues, arts centre and Southbank......certainly didn't need a car.
The entrance/common areas of the hotel are very elegant; service is prompt and friendly. Breakfast buffet was extensive but coffee service could be improved.

Room Tip: River view rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Hubby & I stayed at the langham in Melbourne for a night out from the kids. Got a package deal which included valet parking, buffet breakfast for two and 2 glasses champagne in the aria bar. The room was great, and the common areas are lovely. Breakfast was fantastic! Yes it is pricey but worth staying at least once.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Our family shouted us a night at The Langham for the successful end of a long legal battle and to celebrate my birthday.
We upgraded to a terrace suite with a great large balcony overlooking the Yarra River and city lights. The highlight for us was the sumptuous smorgasboatd dinner. Certainly the best we've ever had. The service was great too and the staff very friendly.
We'll return to stay again and look forward to that wonderful dinner.

Room Tip: Terrace suite was terrific.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple