“Too expensive”
Review of John Gorilla

John Gorilla
Ranked #96 of 218 Coffee & Tea in Melbourne
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Have been here once to eat- the food was pretty good although the wait was about 25 minutes. I see the price for coffee is jumping up to $5.50 for a large. Way too expensive to be honest

Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

Great little cafe for a nice breakfast or a lazy morning coffee. The staff are really friendly, all the consumables are delicious. They only do one size for coffee but I think that ensures the quality somehow and I'm absolutely okay with that

Reviewed 8 December 2017

We regularly travel here from north of Bell St. It's our favourite local. Just decided to look it up out of morbid curiosity about an incident with some other companies there a few days ago (thought the people involved may have left a review). The incident was regarding screaming children and it got quite heated, but we didn't hear much of either side of the story. I was quite surprised to read so many negative things about the owner here because she has always been absolutely lovely to us, as have all of the other staff. I'll come back to the kids thing in a minute.

I have to be honest when reviewing the food, my partner and I have only ever eaten one thing since we've been coming here because no matter how good the other menu items look, we always crave the same thing. For my lady, it's the BLT and for me, it's the BLEAT. I can't recommend any of the other food but to me I always find something that sparks my interest, despite what some of the other reviewers say.

So back to the kids thing, I'll preface by saying I'd never bring my kids here but that's got absolutely nothing to do with the staff. It has more to do with the fact that on the rare occasion I do get out for breakfast with my kids, I'd research the most kid-friendly places. One reviewer mentioned that perhaps John Gorilla should simply state on their website that they're not a kid-friendly cafe, and perhaps they're right.

More specifically referring to the incident I mentioned above, what happened was that a child was relentlessly screaming with no signs of stopping. The parents entered the cafe, which was moderately full of customers enjoying their breakfasts, with the screaming child. As a dad myself, I'd have probably waited outside with my daughter until she calmed and asked my wife to get us a table. I was sitting outside, so I don't know exactly what was said from there and as such, I won't comment further. What I will say is that I recognise the management's difficult situation there. If I was a childless person enjoying my breakfast on a weekday morning, I'd have definitely been disappointed with the experience had the screaming persisted (hell, as a parent out without their children I'd have been annoyed). Doesn't the cafe have a responsibility to provide a good experience (at least to the majority of their customers)?

2  Thank manofunreal
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

JohnGorilla has a pleasant ambience, light, airy and spacious, and comprehensive all day breakfast and lunch menus. The serving staff are pleasant and efficient, and our experience of the lunch menu was first rate. Excellent French toast, lovely quinoa and falafel salad, and a great chicken burger. Prosecco was a welcome inclusion in the drinks selection. Naturally, the coffee was great. Full marks.

1  Thank DavidHobart_Tasmania
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Nice atmosphere, lovely helpful staff and enjoyable meal for a family brunch. Always courteous and welcoming and usually people waiting.

1  Thank joybelle5