“A wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Denmark
“A wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I was looking forward to staying at Clarion Suites Gateway again, and I was NOT disappointed. Again I was impressed by the service very high standards), the friendly and professional staff and the location. Being so close to the CBD and having a view over Yarra River! What more can you ask for?

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CSGManagement, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for staying with Clarion Suites Gateway again. It is lovely to have you return to our hotel and we are delighted to read such positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Clarion Suites Gateway in the near future.

Kyan May - Executive Office
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Please note: this is a follow-up of a commendation that I have previously sent to the hotel, and the timeframe of my visit may not be accurate due to the drop down box's allowable timeframe.

After arriving from Melbourne Airport unhappy that someone had accidentally taken one of my bags (returned later), I was already in panic mode as this trip was a stop-over.

We were allowed to leave our bags at the check-in area and take in the Melbourne surrounds prior to our check-in at the hotel. However, we stayed to get a hot chocolate, and listen to some music from the juke box before leaving.

Checking in later, we were handed our card keys. Unfortunately, I repeatedly forgot when going to the ground floor from the suite. This meant repeatedly one of the hotel staff had to let me up via the lift - no one grumbled.

Whilst waiting for the extra bag to arrive, we went for a swim in the pool which helped us de-stress from what happened at prior to, and after our flight to Melbourne that morning - technical difficulty at the departure airport meant me standing in a queue for approximately 45 minutes, the bag that was not there when I went to collect it at Tullamarine Airport, along with our logistics for our onward journey.

When we returned to the suite, we noticed my missing bag had already been brought up to for me, and was waiting for my inspection.

The suite that we had was well-appointed, and had a dishwasher, a good selection of cooking appliances, and somewhere to wash any clothes.

The only downside that I can think of is its proximity to some railway lines, and the passing trains could sometimes be heard by me from the suite. However, given the other inconveniences of earlier that day, this was minor.

I asked my other half if we could spend the night here again on our return stop-over. Unfortunately, this was declined as my other half wanted to try a different hotel. This decision was regrettable given what we experienced was nothing like the pleasing atmosphere of Clarion Suites Gateway.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite where there will be minimal disturbance to you from the trains. Please try to...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CSGManagement, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts with us. We’re so pleased to hear that our room and services was convenient for your stay in Melbourne. We’re very sorry to hear that you will be trying out other hotels on your next visit; however, we'll be delighted to serve you again for your future stays in Melbourne.

Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I recently had 3 nights at the Clarion and enjoyed my stay. I had a standard suite and upon entering couldn't believe how large the room was. Kitchenette with dining area, nice size tv, tables and chairs,couch/lounge and clean bathroom. Bedroom had ample room to place luggage on floor , wardrobes with hangers, iron and ironing board, and of course comfortable bed. Staff were courteous and more than helpful.
I had a couple of nice lattes at the hotel but did not dine there; not because I didn't think the restaurant wasn't welcoming or had a good menu, but planned to go restaurant spotting while roaming the streets instead.
I used the heated pool on a couple of occasions after long days,and from what I recall hours are 7 am to 9 pm.
The room looked modern, clean and had ducted air conditioning.
Tourism brochures in the lobby and staff held my luggage on day of checkout until my departure of Melbourne.
If I were ultra picky I would agree with one the other reviewers in that the bathroom is small with European style sliding entry door into the shower.
Will I be back, most definitely , good location, clean, good size room,air conditioned with comfortable beds and helpful courteous staff.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CSGManagement, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. It is amazing you can remember our pool opening hours, just to let you know, we open a bit earlier than you thought at 6am. It is our pleasure have you dine at our William’s Bar & Café on your next visit and looking forward to welcome you back!

Bali,Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and I decided to stay here because we were recommended despite my reservations.

I was proven wrong the moment I stepped to the hotel, the receptionist was friendly and when we arrived at our room, we were floored. The suite had a balcony and a view of the Yarra river and the city skyline. The beds were Westin grade comfort bed. The suite also comes equipped with IPod dock stations and a huge 37/40 inch television, not to mention a sink area by the minibar and a huge wardrobe. I also did not mind walking around the room barefoot because I can tell the carpet had been cleaned regularly.

Another plus is the daily complimentary breakfast, which my husband and I usually skip, well If you are at Clarion, do NOT skip it. The selections are good because I am a picky eater. They had fluffy scrambled eggs, the typical selections of bacon, sausages, etc but also herb tomatoes, yogurt and really fresh fruits, which you can tell have not been sitting there for a long time.

My only criticism would be the tiny bathroom and that there was no safe in the room. But I barely noticed it because the suite was so perfect. During our last night, we ordered room service and had dinner overlooking the river by our balcony. The next day during sunrise, we can see from our balcony, the city skyline lit in deep tangerine and blues, which was the perfect end to a romantic city trip.

If I ever come back to Melbourne, I will definitely book a stay with Clarion Gateway Suites.

Room Tip: The yarra view room is a must.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CSGManagement, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear valued guest,
It has been a great pleasure for us to host you during your last stay in Melbourne. Thank you very much for sharing your experience and for the nice words about our hotel, our services and our breakfast. We'll be delighted to serve you again for your future stays in Melbourne.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed one night only, Saturday night 25th February 2012, but we cannot fault this wonderful hotel...we dined there Saturday night and I think I had the best steak of my life! the room was perfect and the staff were superb! We will be back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CSGManagement, Public Relations Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your recommendation; it is always a delight to read such positive feedback. We’d like to thank you for your patronage and we hope to welcome you back for another stay very soon!