“Mixed feelings”

Mantra Southbank Melbourne
Ranked #58 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We had a 2 bedroom corner apartment on the 10th floor facing city road. The apartments themselves are really spacious and well designed. The furniture is not flash but not bad either. Full kitchen and laundry facilities in the apartments were brilliant. Views from the balcony exceptional (if that is your thing). Balcony rail is not all that high so if you have kids be aware of this when booking. The bath/shower is quite small. I found I could not move so if you are anything larger than petite, this will annoy you. Gym and swimming pool upstairs on the 18th floor were clean and well equipped.
Now for the deal breaker. If you get a room facing city road you will not sleep as the noise is horrendous! wine and ear plugs helped me get the minimum to survive but it was not pleasant. Why they did not consider double glazing the windows is beyond me. If you are a light sleeper make sure you don't get one of these rooms.

Room Tip: Definitely not on city road. The view is pretty but the noise more than cancels that out
2  Thank Matnshaz
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Thank you for your recent feedback, we appreciate your comments and glad that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay.

I will be sure to pass this onto the team as we endevour to continue to make improvements to the poduct and the service at the hotel.

We are currently undergoing a review to upgrade certain aspects of the building including new furniture, replacing carpet and inmproving the noise penetration.

If you are looking to return to the hotel at any time be sure to let reservations know that you would ideally like a room on the rear side of the building away from the road.

Mantra Southbank, Melbourne

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Mantra Southbank Melbourne

Reviewed 26 April 2012

We travelled separately but stayed as one of a group of 40 from Sydney. I would definitely recommend the Mantra for the stay we had. HOWEVER, I had to make 4 separate phone calls to organise a Portacot for the baby. I booked thro the Gold Coast based booking number and was given all sorts of wrong info re Baby Cots. I couldn't believe a booking office could mess me around so much. I finally rung the Mantra directly after dealing with those girls in QLD and although I thought I made it clear I needed a portacot on our arrival, one was still not there. It was very quickly and easily sorted by the v professional Lady at Reception and she also had to change our rooms as they also had been messed about by the Booking number people in QLD. The Pool is lovely and clean - great for kids and adults. The Breakfast is lovely and the Restaurant staff are very nice and easy to deal with. So inspite of the people elsewhere having no idea what they were doing, we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and would return - but would book only directly through the Mantra.

Room Tip: For those of us who travel without a Sat Nav, it is v complicated to get to the Hotel's Parking...
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

I would like to apologise about the confusion and difficulty in getting a portacot organised for your room through our central reservations team. We have passed this feedback onto them to ensure that difficulties such as this are avoided in future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed for a wedding
Good service and room ready early
2 bedroom apartment, good space
Very dim rooms, no light over central lounge area where you could read
Need exhaust fan in bathroom
Busy road++++ and very noisy at front of hotel
We were on 8th floor
Excellent breakfast and childrens price for breakfast adjusted for size of serving

2  Thank tourham
AaronBond31, General Manager at Mantra Southbank Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the size of the apartments and the good service however note your comments regarding the lack of light and exhaust fan concerns I will look into making improvements in both of these area's to ensure it is adequate for guests needs.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

My experience with the Southbank Mantra was dissapointing on the whole. I had booked a room with a balcony, Upon arrival I was advised there were no balcony rooms available that weekend. The young girl at the front desk seemed to have no idea what she was doing and had very poor customer service skills. I unlocked my room to find a brown substance smeared across the main wall and the furniture and bedding filthy and unkept. When I contacted front desk to request houskeeping, The same girl gave me a rude response and hung up on me. I contacted the manager and requested a refund and was told "because you booked on a third party website, we wont be refunding you and you cannot change rooms".
Not to mention the city traffic noise and polution coming in my window that looked over a filthy alleyway an old dirty building.
Would not recommend this place to anyone, You would be better off staying in a backpackers!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Glaurenvalo

Dear Guest,

I would like to apologise for the hotel not meeting with your expectations during your recent visit.

I have sent an email with my contact details directly to your Tripadvisor profile and would be delighted if you would contact me to discuss your stay at the hotel.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

The location is great .the room was just brillant and the staff are just amazing friendly and helpful would stay and tell everyone i know to go here

2  Thank Vicki P
AaronBond31, General Manager at Mantra Southbank Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Vicki,

Thanks so much for your comments regarding your recent stay. The team were delighted to read that you had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Mantra Southbank