“3 day getaway”

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #88 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Booked here for 3 nights for a city getaway. The location is awesome so close to everything. Breakfast was great. Room was very spacious but we found the bed way too soft as well as the pillows. We asked about firmer pillows and received extra soft pillows. The Bec was the only downfall.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Tim F, Front Office Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Hello,
It is good to read that you enjoyed our location and breakfast, I will be sure to pass that feedback on to the Food and Beverage team. I do apologise that your request for some firmer pillows was not met and I will be passing this on to our Housekeeping team.
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

My partner and I stayed for 3 nights in a King Spa Suite and stayed on level 3. We were disappointed by the noise and the lack of consistency with the renovations in the room.

First, it was so noisy that I had to sleep with earplugs to get any sleep. It was not only the traffic outside but you can hear the loud flush of toilets and running of showers from the room above and the air conditioner/heater is also noisy.

The bathroom looks like it was recently renovated but the lack of renovation for the rest of the room (the wardrobe, doors and door frames look decades old) really let down the impression made by the room - feels like it's not the premium quality promised on the website.

Finally, just a small but easy to implement piece of feedback: We booked this King Spa Suite especially for the twin spa but there was no bubble bath for the spa. It would be good to provide this for guests.

Otherwise, the green rewards program was great - we enjoyed having the choice of not having our towels washed everyday and the hotel gave us a $10 credit to use at Locanda every day we did this. And we of course enjoyed the location.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi there,
Thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel with some feedback of your recent stay. We appreciate your candid comments in regards to the room. We are currently in the process of planning a renovation to the rooms and this feedback will go a long way to making improvements for our guests. It is also great to hear that you took advantage of our Green Room's offer!

Reviewed 29 September 2017

Lovely clean room, and most importantly it had a big bath! The room was very compact, but perfectly adequate and equipped for two, with plenty of tea/coffee choices, and the staff were wonderful. We only wanted a quick overnight stay but could easily have stayed longer. The food (dinner and breakfast) were excellent and plentiful, the ambience in the dining room was very good, waitresses efficient at clearing tables and friendly. The hotel was only a short walk from malls, Chinatown and coffee shops - an enjoyable stopover. And although I wasn't attending the theatre, I would definitely stay here again if I were to do that - you couldn't get much nearer!

Stayed: September 2017

Hello Anne-Marie,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. It is fantastic to hear it was an enjoyable stay but, as you said, a pity you couldn't stay for longer! Hopefully you can return soon for a theatre production!

Reviewed 28 September 2017

Fantastic location if city central is what you are looking for, walking distance to everything needed and 15-20 mins taxi from zoo, 30 mins taxi from Airport. Room was extremely clean and housekeeping had the best customer service on the occasion i had to ring them, however most other staff seem to lack even basic customer service skills. Front desk person didn't even look up from computer when greeting me or checking me in. There was a large vacuum cleaner left in the hall way of our floor for the entire time I was there (4 days) and staff very slow to take away dining trays etc from hallway left outside of the rooms which again were there most of the days i was there, one for nearly 24 hours straight and staff had been coming and going without doing anything about it. In room dining menu was very average, lacking any sort of condiments, no glasses provided with drinks, no bread with pasta, cold soup etc food obviously just reheated (i know that's what they do and that's ok but this was not done well, all the food I had (about 4 different times) had hot and cold spots and for the price paid it really was quite surprising. I travel a lot and this is one of the worst hotels for food and coffee in general. The coffee included in the breakfast buffet ($36 is not cheap breakfast so you expect at least decent coffee) was luke warm at best and vile tasting, if you wanted a proper espresso you paid extra for it and it too was only marginally better and took a long time to be bought out to you and was still not hot. There was a minor query with the bill at the end which i noticed after i had left so made an enquiry about it, the accounts person explained it but in quite an aggressive and rude way and dismissed my other queries which I then dropped as it was easier than dealing with this person.
Overall disappointing experience, have stayed in other Rydges Hotels and had great experience

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Hi there,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback from your recent stay at Rydges Melbourne. I appreciate your honest feedback and am quite surprised to hear of the service you received from different staff during your stay. Quality customer service is something we pride ourselves on and is a standard we ask from all our employees, so it is disappointing to hear this was not the case. I sincerely apologise for this and I will be following up with my team and also with the managers from our other departments. I do hope that you will return to Rydges Melbourne in the future to experience the quality service we know we can provide.

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

I have had the pleasure of staying here a few times in the last month. Each time I have booked online so easily and as a member of priority rewards I am able to get a good rate. The day before arriving, n email is sent with a link to check in. Here you can say exactly what time
You will arrive and add any special requirements. I was able to advise of my early arrival due to attending conferences. Each time, my room was ready when I arrived which meant I could go to my room and refresh before heading out. A huge benefit which I truly appreciated. I also advised I needed a Powerpoint near the bed for a CPAP machine. On the first trip they arranged an extension lead. The second time it wasn't necessary and the powerpoint was easily accessible. Staff are friendly and obliging. I couldn't fault anything about my stay. I even thought I had left something there. When I called I was put through to housekeeping. They hadn't found anything but went to the effort of calling the person that cleaned the room to check. They called me back advising that nothing was found. Later I did find what I was looking for (inside a shoe!), and called them back to let them know. We stay here quite a bit but the last two times were exceptional. Great work! Thank you!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Hi there,
It's so pleasing to hear how enjoyable your recent stays at Rydges Melbourne have been, and about how you take advantage of or prior check in email to communicate with the hotel before you arrive! I'm happy to hear you were able to find the lost item, I'll be sure to pass your feedback on to our Housekeeping team.
Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback to the hotel, we look forward to seeing you again in the future!