“Not really my cup of tea”

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #87 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I stayed at the Rydges Melbourne for 4 nights. First of all, the location of this hotel is very good for exploring the city. It is located on Exhibition Street in a relatively quiet area of the central business district. Some people may appreciate the quiet of the area, however I prefer a more central and happening area of the city such as the area around Collins and Swanston Streets.

The entrance to the hotel is fairly uninspiring. There is no undercover driveway to the front doors, only the curbside, and nobody to greet you at the entrance to take your bags. There is no bell service at this hotel at all from what I could gather. Yes I understand this hotel is 4.5 star, but I would have assumed that extra .5 of a star included some of the trimmings of your typical 5. Besides that, check in staff was friendly and helpful.

My room was located on the 12th floor of the hotel down the end of a very dated and dimly lit hallway. It was an executive king room which apparently is quite a lot larger than the standard ones. Having said that, it was not overly spacious and the bathroom was very compact. I was thankful I chose to upgrade. The room looked out over the Parliament House of Victoria and St Patrick's Cathedral and was very picturesque. The bed was comfortable however it seemed they had used queen sized sheets on the king bed and therefore the ends were not tucked in. I occasionally found myself sleeping on bare mattress during the night. Not very nice.

Breakfast at Locanda Restaurant was generally good though inconsistent in quality. The first morning we ate at the buffet the food quality was dire. The eggs were watery, bacon was greasy and hash browns were soggy. Over the next two mornings the quality had improved quite a bit and the food was very enjoyable however on the fourth morning, the quality seemed to drop again. Perhaps there was a change in chefs during our stay, I’m really not sure.

Room service was of good standard and was thoroughly enjoyed. I highly recommend the ricotta ravioli with roasted pumpkin, sage and toasted pine nuts in burnt butter sauce as well as the chocolate semifreddo with pistachio crust. It made for a fantastic meal.

Overall this kind of hotel is not really my cup of tea. Though it represents a good value for Melbourne I personally would rather pay a little extra for the higher levels of service and care you get at a 5 star hotel. Even for a 4.5 star, Rydges has room to improve.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2009

It was disapointing to read your experience at Rydges Melbourne was not to your satisfaction. There was some obvious shortcomings with attention to detail such as the sheets on the bed being incorrect, unfortunate human error thay should have been picked up when making the bed.

Locanda breakfast is generally of a good standard, i generally inspect it personally daily, the size of the shaffing dishes are designed to ensure a more frequent turn over with fresh produce, unfortunately if the covers are not high, there can be a tendancy for teh hash brown to go soggy and the bacon to become oily, however the team should also be checking this more regularly.

Location is quite subjective, although it is not in the bustle of Swanston street and the china town precinct, being in the heart of the theatre precinct and some of Melbourne's award winning restaurants and boutique bars is also seen as a great advantage for different demographics.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback and this will be distributed to the team.

Reviewed 30 June 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Rydges Melbourne for 6 night just last week. We flew in very early and because I'm a Rydges priority guest I had already been checked in so arriving at 7am was no trouble getting into our room. We chose to upgrade to queen spa suite on the 6th level. We found it very spacious and the bed was lovely. The room had some little issues but they didn't bother us really like the reception on both televisions was not perfect and the taps in the bathroom were quite loose and sometimes fell off in the shower which made me laugh because of the loud clangs hahaha.

The ladies at reception were very friendly when assisting us with directions to the gym and organising our Skybus hotel shuttle. I also had the chance to dine at the Locanda restaurant, the meals were very nice and the chocolate semifreddo for desert is so yummy. If you can get up early the buffet breakfast is really good with a combination of hot and cold as well the is chef willing to cook your eggs how you want them or make you pancakes.

The location is awesome located a short stroll from Bourke Street you can basically catch a tram anywhere or even just walk up to La Trobe street and catch the Free City tram. But your pretty much within walking distance from everything you'll need with the local woolworths just a couple streets down.

I've read other reviews about garbage truck noise in the mornings and I didn't seem to have that problem and we were on the 6th floor looking out onto Little Bourke street. Maybe we were deep sleepers but it didn't affect us.

Overall I'd say being a Rydges priority guest is definitely worth it especially if you can snap up the great special rates. This hotel supplied a very comfortable stay and I'll definitely be returning hear in the near future.

3  Thank otigan
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2009

Thank you for sharing your experience at Rydges Melbourne, it was pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, with the service at front desk and the Locanda cuisine.

Melbourne has plenty to offer, and we certainly appreciate the great location we have to enable our guests to access these locations with ease. We're particulary excited about all the great shows coming to Melbourne such as Jersey Boys and Chicago that is literally across the road from the hotel!

I hope we see you back in Melbourne again in the future.

Sincerely

Reviewed 29 June 2009

My Saturday night at this hotel was one of those experience where a whole range of positives about the stay where marred by one drawback – not being able to sleep properly until about 3am.

As a Rydges Priority Guest member (free to join online) I was very pleased at check-in to be given a free upgrade from a Queen Spa room to the Premier Spa Suite. This suite is…well… huge, with a large bathroom and large king bedroom separate from the living/dining area. The sofa in the living area is a foldout bed so this suite might also suit two couples or a family looking for a spacious room in the city.

The master bedroom was gorgeous, with a double-spa bath tucked behind the bed and it’s own TV. Soaking in the spa while watching the tv was a definite treat and made for some very warm memories for the evening. So a big thumbs up in terms of room size and features.

As others have noted – the hotel does perhaps need to be a little more proactive on some items of minor maintenance. E.g. our TV had interference & spa-bath tap was loose. For me these are relatively minor things that I’m prepared to tolerate if I’m getting a good rate and especially so when being upgraded to an overall superior room.

The big negative on the experience though was the street noise. The room was on the fourth floor and the trade-off for having a corner room with great views was excessive street noise making it difficult to get to sleep until about 3.am. As most of the noise was from the nearby pub, things might be better on a weeknight. But if getting a decent nights sleep is a priority then you might want to let it be known prior to check in that you want a room higher up or further away from Exhibition St. As I was competing in the ‘Run Melbourne’ event on Sunday morning, I was less than impressed about having had such a poor and broken nights sleep in preparation for the event.

It was a pity that something (sound proofing? Thicker windows/glazing) couldn’t be done to reduce the noise in this room because it was the main thing that caused me to drop my rating back to a 3/5.

As to would I recommend this to a friend – it depends. If you can get this class of room somewhere else in the hotel (without the noise) than I’d say it’s a definite yes, even at full price. If this room (409) is the only one available then you might want to try and get it at a discount unless you plan on joining the crowd at the pub until things quieten down.

2  Thank HRG94

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Rydges Melbourne, it was pleasing to read you enjoyed the spaciousness of the larger suites albeit that we need to take some action with the street noise. We are looking at options of being able to double glaze the windows in some of these rooms that face the street on the lower floors, this will hopefully fix this issue.

Sincerley

Reviewed 23 June 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The room was clean, tidy etc. The bathroom, however, was very small, with the toilet at an odd angle, and I had to maneuver around just to shut the door - very unusual. The shower is within the bath and is likewise quite small. I wonder why they can't just enlarge the area by just having a shower alcove, and get rid of the bathtub all together, as I'm sure most travelers would prefer showers to baths.
I had a problem when I first got to my room, with my TV not working, a call to the front desk resulted in an attendant coming up within about 5 minutes and he fixed up the plugs etc for me straight away - very good service.
The breakfast buffet was quite good, although the layout of many of the tables meant that other guests came quite close to you as they were getting to their own seats. The selection was quite good, they also have a dedicated omelet/pancake chef on hand, which is a nice touch.
We had dinner there one of the nights, service was good, but there was a delay with the wine, as someone had misplaced a key to the wine fridge (don't quite understand this, but that is what they said).
The downside to a hotel in this location, not just this hotel, is that, being in the centre of a large city, you will get road noise. Melbourne is such a city. Exhibition street is busy. I could here dull construction noise and trucks from early in the morning, and I was 16 floors up. But the bed was very comfortable, and I slept quite well.

All in all, a very good hotel to stay in.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank MarcoDiGirolamo

Thank you for your detailed review of Rydges Melbourne, I agree with your comments that some of the bathroom configurations are not ideal, and is unfortunately the structural design of the building that is not easily changed. Removing the baths and making them showers only would be a possibility and something we may review at some stage.

Your comments on Locanda breakfast were appreciated the Rydges Rise breakfast is designed for freshness and variety to provide a more substantial offering to guests including the eggs and omellete cooke dto order. The note on the wine fridge seems odd and will be discussed with the restaurant as this doesn't sound very good practice. I am glad all in all you enjoyed your stay in Melbourne.

Sincerley

Reviewed 16 June 2009

My wife and I stayed for three days and didn't read previous reviews. (Lesson for all) Got a room on the 5th floor backing onto a side lane and for the three mornings at 5am a large truck collecting bins from businesses stopped outside our window (well it sounded like it was) and collected rubbish including bottles which were then dropped from a great height into the back of the truck. Sleep was impossible. The truck drove off at about 5.40am each morning. The TV reception is terrible with ghosting and continual lines running down the screen. There is mould on the tiles in the bathroom and we had to ask to have our room serviced on the Saturday evening. The hotel is in a great location. Staff we met were nice and efficient but would never stay there again

1  Thank johnandjanaustralia
David_Bornmann, David Bornmann General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2009

Appreciate your feedback and the comments on the noise will be addressed again with the waste disposal, the hotel has spoken with the company that does the hotels rubbish collection and they have assured us they are picking up as late as possible and will not crush the rubbish until away from the hotel. Unfortunately the other neighbours are a little more difficult to control, but will do our best to address with them also.

I will also have maintenance check all 5th floor rooms LCDs to check on the ghosting mentioned.

My apologies this disrupted your visit and it was disapointing to read you will not be returning.

Regards