“Perfect city stay, every time.”

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #83 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 16 October 2012 via mobile

Can't speak highly enough of Rydges in general, and of the Rydges Melbourne (Exchange St.) in particular. As a regular inter-state traveller, I've been coming here off-and-on for over 3 years and Rydges is always my first choice. Welcoming, friendly and helpful staff; Well apportioned rooms with extra-comfy beds; excellent food and terrific service in the Locanda restaurant (it's not just good for a hotel restaurant, it stands up in comparison to stand-alone dining). At full price, it's good value. As a "Rydges Priority" member (10% off room rate, 20% off food & drink), it's excellent. As a Platinum member (50% off in the bar & restaurant) it's an absolute steal!

• Stayed: October 2012
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

So pleasing to read your kind impression of the hotel and the value you receive as Priority Guest Member is taken advantage of. I hope we can consistently provide the positive service you have experienced to ensure your loyalty for future stays.

David Bornmann

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

The standard rate room we had was small and lacking of many features that would ordinarily accompany a 4/4.5* star hotel: most notably the lack of newspaper delivery and bathrobes! The bathroom was equally modest and I had the feeling of being somewhat crammed in the hotel along with other guests.

Nevertheless, the views from our room onto Bourke Street were stunning and offset any sense of claustrophobia. Equally impressive was the buffet breakfast offered downstairs which was provided in the room rate and proved handy for a bite to eat before attending to events in the city. These two features probably pushed this from a 3 to a 4 star review.

Moreover, the location was terrific and provided for easy access to attractions on Bourke Street and Exhibition Street. Being a stone's throw from Pellegrini or Grossi Florentino (great Italian restaurants) was a treat. If you're staying here I would also recommend having a drink at the Berlin Bar - a 5 minute walk in the other direction.

If you're looking for something spectacular, this isn't it. If you're happy with standard 3 star hotel room room in an exceptional location and don't anticipate spending much time here, I'd recommend this hotel.

4 stars overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to offset the modesty of space
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

The location is very popular with our guests and we are spoilt with such institutions as Florentino’s around the corner from the hotel which makes it even more beneficial to stay with us. The rooms are not overly spacious but are well appointed and most do have good views of the city. I am glad it was a comfortable stay for your needs.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

I have just come back from 5 nights at Rydges in Melbourne. I took my daughter to Melbourne for her 21st birthday and opted to stay at Rydges because I stay at other Rydges regulary for work
The front dest staff - Michelle in particular, made our stay an absolute pleasure. She took an interest in what we were doing and highlighted on a map places of interest and how to get there. Which made a huge difference when we did not know where we were going. She also organised a box of chocolates in our room for my daughters birthday (which made her feel very special). Thank you very much Michelle.
Yes the room are abit tired (but clean), but I feel that the level of service and care recieved, far out weighs this.
I would not hesitate to stay here again or to reccommend it to others.

I

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Was really pleasing to read of your personal experience at the hotel and that Michelle our Guest Service Agent made such a positive impact with your daughter and your stay. It is certainly recognised that regardless of what the hotel is like it is always the personal touch, the human interaction that can make such a big difference with guests stay and I am very pleased Michelle did this with you stay.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Old and tired would sum up this property pretty well.

As with most hotels the entrance is well maintained and looks grand as any 4-5 star property should. Reception staff are friendly and efficient. I'm allocated a room on the 4th floor, from the lift opening the alarm bells started ringing in my head. A musty smell across the landing, stains on the old and tatty looking carpet all the way to my room. Sadly the room was in a similar state, a tatty faded arm chair and sofa, stains on the carpet, the same musky smell. 'Oh dear' I exclaimed to myself. Im sure the room was clean but it just didn't feel it. After a minute of disbelief I thought to myself that I would ask for another room. Back to reception and my room was switched without hesitation (or apology) to the 10th floor.

1019 was a lot nicer but still disappointing for a 4 1/2 star property, still tatty and tired, old furniture, chipped wood, non ergonomic bathroom with the shower head too close to the wall.

I would say 3 star at the most for this Rydges & in desperate need of renovation.

For the best part of $200 a night your money can get you a much nicer hotel in Melbourne. Check out The Cullen for a far superior ROI.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2012

Was disappointing to read your review and see the low score you gave the hotel on your review. As noted in previous responses the suite side rooms are getting upgraded at the end of this month, so hopefully these issues of tired furniture and carpet will be addressed so our guests feel they receive value for money when staying with us.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We have now stayed at Rydges Melbourne 4 times and this is the first place we look for for accommadation when we stay in the city. Friendly and helpful staff. Room always nice and clean. Ask to stay on about 14th floor up as low levels can be a little bit noisy with the humming of the air con. We will be back again in December.
Sue T.

Room Tip: Queen room ensuite a bit small but clean.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

So nice to see you always choose to stay with us and have done so on 4 occasions. We really appreciate our regular guests and try to reward them with our Rydges Priority Guest program so they can benefit from their loyalty. From someone who has stayed and place numerous reviews it is appreciated you enjoy our service and facilities.