2,592 results
All reviewsqueen spa suitelocanda restaurantexhibition streether majesty's theatrerooftop poolbuffet breakfastclose to china townlate checkoutan upgradecomfy bedbourke streetcar parkinglocation is excellentcentral locationcbdmcgcheckin
Reviewed 15 October 2012

The standard rate room we had was small and lacking of many features that would ordinarily accompany a 4/4.5* star hotel: most notably the lack of newspaper delivery and bathrobes! The bathroom was equally modest and I had the feeling of being somewhat crammed in the hotel along with other guests.

Nevertheless, the views from our room onto Bourke Street were stunning and offset any sense of claustrophobia. Equally impressive was the buffet breakfast offered downstairs which was provided in the room rate and proved handy for a bite to eat before attending to events in the city. These two features probably pushed this from a 3 to a 4 star review.

Moreover, the location was terrific and provided for easy access to attractions on Bourke Street and Exhibition Street. Being a stone's throw from Pellegrini or Grossi Florentino (great Italian restaurants) was a treat. If you're staying here I would also recommend having a drink at the Berlin Bar - a 5 minute walk in the other direction.

If you're looking for something spectacular, this isn't it. If you're happy with standard 3 star hotel room room in an exceptional location and don't anticipate spending much time here, I'd recommend this hotel.

4 stars overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to offset the modesty of space
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

The location is very popular with our guests and we are spoilt with such institutions as Florentino’s around the corner from the hotel which makes it even more beneficial to stay with us. The rooms are not overly spacious but are well appointed and most do have good views of the city. I am glad it was a comfortable stay for your needs.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

I have just come back from 5 nights at Rydges in Melbourne. I took my daughter to Melbourne for her 21st birthday and opted to stay at Rydges because I stay at other Rydges regulary for work
The front dest staff - Michelle in particular, made our stay an absolute pleasure. She took an interest in what we were doing and highlighted on a map places of interest and how to get there. Which made a huge difference when we did not know where we were going. She also organised a box of chocolates in our room for my daughters birthday (which made her feel very special). Thank you very much Michelle.
Yes the room are abit tired (but clean), but I feel that the level of service and care recieved, far out weighs this.
I would not hesitate to stay here again or to reccommend it to others.

I

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Was really pleasing to read of your personal experience at the hotel and that Michelle our Guest Service Agent made such a positive impact with your daughter and your stay. It is certainly recognised that regardless of what the hotel is like it is always the personal touch, the human interaction that can make such a big difference with guests stay and I am very pleased Michelle did this with you stay.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Old and tired would sum up this property pretty well.

As with most hotels the entrance is well maintained and looks grand as any 4-5 star property should. Reception staff are friendly and efficient. I'm allocated a room on the 4th floor, from the lift opening the alarm bells started ringing in my head. A musty smell across the landing, stains on the old and tatty looking carpet all the way to my room. Sadly the room was in a similar state, a tatty faded arm chair and sofa, stains on the carpet, the same musky smell. 'Oh dear' I exclaimed to myself. Im sure the room was clean but it just didn't feel it. After a minute of disbelief I thought to myself that I would ask for another room. Back to reception and my room was switched without hesitation (or apology) to the 10th floor.

1019 was a lot nicer but still disappointing for a 4 1/2 star property, still tatty and tired, old furniture, chipped wood, non ergonomic bathroom with the shower head too close to the wall.

I would say 3 star at the most for this Rydges & in desperate need of renovation.

For the best part of $200 a night your money can get you a much nicer hotel in Melbourne. Check out The Cullen for a far superior ROI.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Rydges Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2012

Was disappointing to read your review and see the low score you gave the hotel on your review. As noted in previous responses the suite side rooms are getting upgraded at the end of this month, so hopefully these issues of tired furniture and carpet will be addressed so our guests feel they receive value for money when staying with us.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We have now stayed at Rydges Melbourne 4 times and this is the first place we look for for accommadation when we stay in the city. Friendly and helpful staff. Room always nice and clean. Ask to stay on about 14th floor up as low levels can be a little bit noisy with the humming of the air con. We will be back again in December.
Sue T.

Room Tip: Queen room ensuite a bit small but clean.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

So nice to see you always choose to stay with us and have done so on 4 occasions. We really appreciate our regular guests and try to reward them with our Rydges Priority Guest program so they can benefit from their loyalty. From someone who has stayed and place numerous reviews it is appreciated you enjoy our service and facilities.

Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights.

Pros
- reception area is really nice. Love the fireplace
- receptionists are friendly and very helpful
- good sized bedroom

Cons
- my room on the 15th floor is musty and smelly. It needs to be aired big time.
- bathroom needs to be updated. It's too tiny that you need to close the door to move freely inside.
- very dusty. The kettle and the cup for the complimentary tea/coffee is full of dust. I had to clean the kettle and wash the cup prior to using
- the Biggest and the Noisiest Air Conditioning unit ever! Do your self a favour and DON'T turn it On if you want a restful sleep.

• Stayed: October 2012

How unpleasant it must be to find dust in the room when you were expecting a good clean environment, this is something that is impressed upon with the housekeeping team and obviously the attendant needs some training. The bathrooms are not roomy and unfortunately the structural nature of the building is not something that is able to be changed. The AC units do get reviewed regularly and replaced on a need basis.