2,595 results
All reviewsqueen spa suitelocanda restaurantexhibition streether majesty's theatrerooftop poolbuffet breakfastclose to china townlate checkoutan upgradecomfy bedbourke streetcar parkinglocation is excellentcentral locationcbdmcgcheckin
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I just stayed on my own for 3 nights from Monday till today (Thursday). Prior to booking the trip, I took some sounding through internet reviews and conversation with staff at the hotel.

After getting some confirmed information, and gauging there's more positive feedback than negative on the site, I decided to take the plunge to book.

I booked the Superior Suite, given there was a special on at the time and I was able to pay for it the usual price of a standard room.

I was excited about the trip and on Saturday (2 days prior to check in), I made a confirmation with the hotel. At the time, I asked about a special request I made through the iOS app, which was if possible, to be placed as high a floor as possible. The man on the phone confirmed this and said that I was already assigned to level 22, which is the highest floor. This was reflected in the app as well. To say the least, I was ecstatic, thanked the man and hung up.

I arrived at the hotel on Monday and the staff were friendly when checked in. However, I was checked in to room 1004 (Level 10) so I questioned it. They explained they have already assigned the room on level 22 to another customer. When I explained that I had already confirmed with them on Saturday that I would get level 22, all they said was they had already checked in another customer. There was no apology but excuses.

I was disappointed, but I ploughed on. I asked about the parking. When I booked I was told that it was $20 per exit. I was sure I was not mistaken as I asked this several time when I made sounding calls. However I was then told that it was still $20 a night as well as $20 per exit.

The good thing is that after I expressed my disappointment the manager decided to just charge me $20 for the entire parking.

The service of the staff and the price of the room is what kept this review from 1 (terrible). However, I would still say that the staff service is not perfect and may be a training problem.

When I walked into the room, a room which is supposedly recently renovated, I was less than impressed. The paint on the walls were chipped and looked poorly applied, looking like the painter did not bother to sand, cut in nor put in multiple layers. Curtains had holes in it. Doors were falling off the hinges on a couple of cupboards and furniture looked old and tired. The cleanness of the room is a bit dubious - black oil/mould? is found behind shower screen hinges, grout was dirty, stains were on the bath (how do they even manage that?!), chips on the wooden furniture and there is this stain on one of the dining chairs that I seriously hope is food, not something else.

Not to mention there is not real gym (a treadmill and a training bike is not a gym) on site and depend on the local Fitness First partnership and the corridors outside the rooms look tired too. Also there is no centralised heating system and, instead, there is one heater for the lounge and one in the bedroom. Both are extremely noisy, making being in the same room with one, e.g. sleeping, is near impossible.

While the rooms were cheaper than most for a suite, the condition of the room and the hotel facilities does not warrant 'good' value.

I have seen 3 star motel rooms in much better nick than this supposedly renovated room. They claim, on their TV information page, that they're 4.5 stars. I seriously doubt this...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Was very disappointing to read of your experience at the hotel that initially looked like you were so excited about your getaway. I can imagine having confirmed your requests the frustration that this had been changed by someone prior to arrival - which has been addressed with the front office since. I apologise also that you found the room quality and cleanliness of a poor standard and will be inspected and rectified. The rooftop fitness equipment is not a gym and we certainly dont advise people it is, we have complimentary access for guests to platinum fitness first a couple of blocks away which has extensive gym equipment. We have provided these few items on the roof top pool area purely as a convenience for our guests wanting a bit of cardio exercise. We unfortunately do not have space for a full gym and generally guests enjoy using the fitness first benefit as they are obviously the experts in this field. I havenot stayed in many 3 star motels to make comment on the note about your comparison to our rooms, but am sure readers get the picture you are trying to portray. I assure you the hotel takes all these constructive comments very seriously and will fix this issue.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 12 July 2012

This is truely a good priced and quality hotel in an excellent location in Melbourne. The rooms are comfortable and are fitted with the famous "Rydges Beds" which are so nice to sleep in. The only fault of the rooms is the bathroom which is so small and at times inconvenient, and as it was a very cold time we had to use the heater which was extremely noisy. Plenty of lighting via spotlights and a working desk. I found the room clean, quiet and check in was very efficient. A very satisfactory hotel for the price and prefer this over some others.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Andyoz
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Was very pleased that our hotel met your requirements on your recent stay and although the bathroom and heating not 100% you enjoyed the location and other aspects of the property. It is certainly rewarding to see someone who has made 48 reviews and stayed in 20 odd cities provide a positive report on the experience here.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

we arrived from a very long London via Singapore flight at 6am and managed to kill few hours before becoming so tired we decided to make our way to the hotel early (well before the official 2pm check-in) and the front desk staff were just Wonderful.
Quick, efficient, no questions aksed or problems, so the nanna-nap on the comfy bed was just perfect before we had to attend the early evening Opening of the conference i was attending.
Overall, the room was fine - a decent quality for a very cheap price in a handy location in the city - and the staff were terrici overall.
Breakfast is REALLY GOOD - fresh and good quality - and comparatively cheap (and i do a LOT of these hotel eggs n bacon breakfasts!) PLUS, as i was my partners birthday we had a delightful glass of champagne with our brekky - which I am sure made everythign taste even better.
The only downside - it is very frustrating having to pay an extra $29/day for internet access (and only initially connectable in the room via a cable).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sparklarkly
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Was really pleasing and I must say quite humbing to read your great experience in particular from a senior reviewer who has obviously lots of experience in hotel stays. I have shared this with the team and my Directors to impress on them how good it is to be rewarded from their efforts! I am glad they ensure you got a room when you got it in, I can imagine what a relief it would have been to get into your room and put the feet up. Hope we may see you back with us again.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Ive travelled the world, best hotels- but this one is the standout. Staff are incredible especially Stephanie and ian. Theyre outstanding ! enough said

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank csob85
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Really appreciate the comments on the team, they certainly make the difference for our guests and in particular our regulars who get to know them so well. Location, services and facilities in hotels are always important but it's the human factor that will ensure a guest returns.....

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Our family of four stayed over while on a city stay. We had a queen spa room that had a divider with queen bed on one side & double fold out on the other & a telly on each side. Big ensuite bathroom(with spa bath) & walk in robe.
Excellent location, walked around the block for dinner at chinatown. Breakfast buffet was amazing & cooked to order as well, so DD & I enjoyed a stack of pancakes. Staff were universally friendly & efficient, but no spare staff for concierge so I couldn't find out about attractions because there was no tourist display & counter staff were always busy with check in/outs.
Heated rooftop pool looked nice, but a bit cold for us!
Verdict: I wouldn't pay full price as it is pretty tired looking upstairs from the lobby, but a package deal with parking & brekky is good value in the CBD.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank CLHL
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Very pleasing to see you enjoyed the stay at the hotel in our queen suite and enjoyed the services and facilities the hotel has to offer. We are very proud of the new Breakfast Rise buffet we recently updated. The team down there perform well even under the pump on the weekends, in particular the pancake teddy bear shape that Vikas our breaky chef puts out hat the kids love! Hope we see you back again.