New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #28 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Kew
“Friendly service and good amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental for two nights in a Club room. The room was a good size and had some natural light coming in through the atrium. The amenities in the room were very good quality including a Nespresso machine and a great selection of herbal teas.

We had access to the Club Lounge which provided a great breakfast (hot and continental), afternoon tea (scones!) and drinks/canapes. We went to all sessions and felt very well catered for. The Lounge itself had character with older style armchairs and cosy seating.

A couple of minor glitches with the services (our luggage didn't arrive in our room for ages and we weren't initially given club lounge access on our keys) but the staff service attitude was excellent!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to Flinders Lane - you will have a bit of a view and some natural light.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Clare L
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Clare L,
Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful review. Please allow me to apologise for any inconvenience that you experienced with your room key issue, I was glad to read that the team were able to turn this situation around with their great service.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Joerg T. Boeckeler
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I have stayed at ICH Melb Rialto a dozen times over the last 1 year. Prior to this, I have tried quite a few similar class hotels in Melbourne including Sofitel, Grand Hyatt, Westin, Langham, Quay West Suites, The Blackman to name a few. I have been a returning client ever since I discovered this hotel. The location is ideal, away from the hustle and bustle of the city after hours and weekends, yet close enough to the main shopping and dining areas of Melbourne including Southbank (Crown Casino). On that note, parking options are slightly better than the main shopping/dining areas within the CBD. The experience of this hotel, begins with the entry of the hotel and for me, this is the stunning architecture of the building surrounded by their refreshing signature scent of the hotel. Like most hotels, staff congeniality can be variable, but professional and relatively friendly without going overboard. I have had the privilege of staying in a variety of different rooms and suites of this hotel, at times through generous complimentary upgrades. The decor is consistent throughout their rooms and the quality of the furnishing and amenities (Elemis in rooms and Chopard in suites) are excellent quality. The beds had always been firm and provided many good nights sleep, clean and crisp white linen with matching quality pillows. Towels are plush and happily provided for if in-room massage is organized. I have had two external mobile massage service come through and both occasions the therapists reported that they had been well accommodated for with assistance with their parking. The rooms facing Collins St appears to be noisier eventhough it is doubly insulated for noise reduction, compared with the Flinder Lane end but some of their best suites are located facing Collins St - this is consistent with apartments on Collins St in general with the most priced units fronting the street. The breakfast in Alluvial Restaurant provides a good spread for breakfast. This restaurant is sublime to dine in for appreciating the architectural design of the building. In the evening, the stunning blue lit balconies and high ceiling of the building wows most people. The food although not amazing is palate friendly and above average most of the time. The Club Lounge has top quality delicacies and spreads for breakfast and evening canapes. Although understaffed during busy times, staff are mostly accomodating and tries their best to keep everyone attended to, but can be frustrating for some clients during these times. A choice of good drops, cheeses and meat platter never fail to be enjoyed in the evenings. The breakfast spread is the usual fare, although appear more limited in choice due to space limitation compared with the Alluvial Restaurant, can be complimented by made-to-order common breakfast items. I find the afternoon tea a bit of a hit and miss, with the spread quite limited at times and had been disappointed before. Located on the rooftop, they have a fairly average fitness centre with most standard equipment and a pool good for a dip but not for lap-swimming. I must say I do not stay in this hotel for the gym or the pool. Adjacent here in the rooftop is a herb-garden where they also harvest their own honey, sometimes offerred at the club lounge - yum! Saving the best for last, I find that management do value their clients' feedback and comments and I would encourage any dissatisfaction to be brought to their attention. I have felt appreciated with my feedback being previously acknowledged and thanked with complimentary lounge access on one occasion. My most recent visit caught me by surprise as I have become used to the familiar faces of the hotel, but certainly did not set any expectations on others to recognise me (although one might expect this to be the case). I could not have felt more special and appreciated when the Guest Relation Manager, Kishor acknowledged and greeted me personally by name without any prompts. I do think that these little personalization efforts go a long way, yet one can get dissapointed easily if they expect it. It is best felt when it is least expected. Although I enjoy my stays here, they are not perfect everytime but close enough for me with some minor hiccups here and there that I can live with.

2 Thank Kenny_Cool
Dear Choong_N,
Thank you very much for sharing with me your thorough and generous review. I was so pleased to read that you have been able to experience so many aspects of the hotel during your stays with us, particularly the Club InterContinental Lounge which is indeed a very special place.
I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the team at the hotel and in particular Kishor, please be assured that I will share these lovely comments with the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We just spent one night at the Intercontinental Hotel at the Rialto in Melbourne.
The service we received was the best we have ever received from a hotel in Australia and we have been to several in Melbourne, Sydney and on the Gold Coast in Queensland.
We were made to feel welcome as soon as we dropped the car off and this continued until we checked out. Every staff member from the Valet staff to the Chef at the Restaurant, walmly acknowledged us. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
Some other prominent hotels in Melbourne are happy to take your money but once you've booked in, make you feel more like a number.
We would recommend the Intercontinental in Melbourne to anyone wishing to stay in our great city.
And it's alot cheaper than these other prominent hotels too !

Room Tip: don't think any room will disappoint
1 Thank Peter S
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Peter S,
Thank you for sharing me with your generous feedback regarding your recent stay. It warmed my heart to read that you experienced such wonderful service as the hotel team and I constantly strive to deliver authentic and enriching five star service. I will be sure to share your lovely comments with them also.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

It was our weeding night my wife and myself were impressed from the moment we step inside the room , Courtyard Suite. The suit was offered to us with a very reasonable price By Kishor , Guest Relation Manager. Possibly because of the special event of our life. Followed by a very warm welcome the room was very well presented. The rooms facility were fantastic and certainly made our stay very special. We have enjoyed the SPA and the room service Breakfast in the morning.
The Hotel architecture still carries the history and at the same time very modern as well. In a word friendly staff and special care have made our time very memorable. A very special thanks to Kishor for his suggestion to experience the Courtyard Suite. It was money worth spending and we plan to have experience once again...............

1 Thank Mohammad Ariful I
Dear Mohammad Ariful I,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to share with me your kind review and may I also say congratulations on your wedding, we feel honoured to have been part of such a very special occasion.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again, perhaps on your anniversary, if not sooner.
Ocean Grove, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Let me start by saying that I stayed with my brother, who is a very regular client so we were upgraded to a corner suite whch was amazing, so this may have a lot to do with our enjoyment of the hotel.
But in saying that we were so well looked after. I loved the concierge, they helped us with any little thing my 7yo daughter and I needed, while my brother was at work. Suggesting a great restaurant for our dinner and giving us free chocolates from the shop next door.
The hotel is in a fantastic position within 5 minute walk from the train station. Trams and buses outside your door.
The pool, gym area is lovely. The room service was good. Breakfast beautiful.
A bit of confusion getting a remote that would work and also having the room made up but not a big deal.
We had a late afternoon check out which really helped with the relaxing.
The room was so big and they brought in a rollaway for my daughter no problems for us. We did only pay for the 2 double bed room but I have stayed in them before and they are nice too.
All up I loved this hotel and would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank katwallington
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear katwallington,
Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay.
I was so happy to read that you, your daughter and your brother had such a delightful stay and that and on this occasion you felt that we delivered the service levels that we aim to continuously deliver.
I would also like to assure you that we strive to deliver enriching, authentic and genuine five star service to all of our guests, regardless of whether they are a regular client or a first time visitor!
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel again soon.