“Haven of comfort and style” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #28 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth
“Haven of comfort and style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

When I checked in to the Intercontinental at the last minute for the second two nights of my three night business trip to Melbourne I was in desperate need of comfort having had a nightmare experience at a neighbouring establishment where I'd tried three rooms before throwing in the towel! My colleagues had recommended this hotel as the perfect antidote and it was everything they had promised. I loved the historic feel of the place and the stylish mood lighting. My room was one of the smaller ones overlooking the restaurant, but was perfectly appointed with all those additional extra touches that the intercontinental group do so well. The bed was super comfortable and having experienced the bathrooms from hell across the road I was delighted to find myself in a haven of comfort once more.
I took breakfast in the restaurant and opted for the continental offering as there was so much choice. Service was prompt and efficient and the ambiance very pleasant. The only thing that took a bit of getting used to was that it was impossible to tell what the weather was doing as both my room and the restaurant had no outward aspect, but Sky News weather came to the rescue.
I would definitely book in here again - not only is the location ideal, but the style of the property encapsulates my idea of Melbourne perfectly.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear PerthSquirrel,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with me your wonderful and insightful review. It made me so happy to read that we were able to come to the rescue and help you during your recent trip to Melbourne.
Joerg T. Boeckeler
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

This hotel is six stars.Very quite and great location, the rooms and service were excellent the beds are extremely comfortable spacious bathroom and shower.Located in the central business district and a short walk or tram ride to the shops and attractions trains are also close by.The Club lounge is excellent and staff very very friendly and helpful and we had the best breakfast I would say we have had anywhere we have travelled in the world.
Wonderful hotel

• 5 of 5 bubbles
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear steve4567,
Thank you very much for sharing with me your wonderful review, I was so pleased to read of your fantastic experience. Our Club InterContinental Lounge is indeed a very special and luxurious place and we are very lucky to have it in our hotel. Thank you also for your wonderful feedback regarding the hotel team, I will be sure to share this with them.
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We have just completed a 3 night stay at the historic and stylish Rialto. As Ambassador Club members we were upgraded to a Club Floor room (without Lounge benefits) and were delighted with the room. It was very large and comfortable and had all the amenities one would expect from a Club room. The bathroom was spacious and had separate bath and shower, good lighting and ample vanity space. Whilst there was no view other than the opposing building housing more rooms, you could look out into the atrium space joining the two buildings and see the sky. Breakfast was expensive so we ate at a couple of nice cafes across the street from the rear of the hotel. We did dine in the Merchant a restaurant inside the hotel and had a wonderful meal in a buzzy, open- kitchen Italian vibe. Plates were to be shared and the waitstaff were efficient and pleasant. This was recommended by the Chief Concierge of the hotel and it did not disappoint. We thought hotel staff were professional, friendly and efficient. Our only disappointment was that our Ambassador benefits did not arrive in our room until our 3rd day even after enqiring on day 2. All in all, a lovely hotel in a great location, near trams and trains and shops. We stayed on the 5th floor and our room was extremely quiet. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Any room facing into the atrium would be very quiet.
Dear floralsydney,
Thank you for sharing with me feedback from your recent stay. We are very lucky to have Guy Grossi's Merchant restaurant located within the hotel and it is indeed a wonderful restaurant.
Please accept my most sincere apologies regarding your Ambassador amenity, I hope that you were not inconvenienced in this instance and please be assured I will follow up where there was some confusion in this delivery or our system has not been correctly implemented.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights and really liked the style and design of this hotel as well as the location.
I was in town to attend a trades how, which took place in the convention center.even though there are closer hotels this was just perfect. It was only a 15 minute walk and had the advantage, that it was on the busy Collins street, close to some nice bars, right next to the Rialto Towers and therefore next to a great restaurant "Vue de Monde". Also as I don't Like to stay in. Use hotels such as the Crown with it's casino,this hotel was a comfortable place, from which you weren't too far away.

The Club lounge staff were very friendly and delivered a great and efficient service during my breakfast visits. I didn't check out the evening drinks and snacks as I was out, but I'm sure they would have been great too.

I must say, since InterContinenta took over this property it has developed itself into a great place.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear ck050877,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your thoughtful and enthusiastic review. I was so happy to read of your wonderful experience during your recent stay and that you had such a special experience in the Club InterContinental Lounge.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Booked the hotel last minute, tried to book online but had an error regarding the IATA code on the web. Tried to book direct with the hotel but no one answered the phone. Eventually got through and was put through I assume to the US. Never received a confirmation email. Arrived at the hotel to be told the rate which included breakfast was for 1 person, not according to the website that I looked at. This was eventually sorted and the receptionist apologised for keeping us waiting. Went out for a few hours, came back to turn the TV on to watch the news, no remote. After waiting more than 20 mins went for a swim. Came back, still no remote called reception was informed they would send another one up! Went out for dinner, on our way out asked reception to send the remote to our room. Also asked housekeeping to turn down our bed and replenish tea bags, never stayed in a 5 star hotel before that this wasn't an automatic procedure.Came back still no remote, no turn down service and no tea bags. My husband went back to reception and asked again. 20 minutes later he called for the 4th time, was hoping to watch a movie but by the time we eventually got the remote 10.10pm had gone past it. Never had a TV guide in the room. Have stayed in several 5 star CBD hotels and have always had fantastic experiences, would rate this hotel as 3 star. Today was a better experience, breakfast was excellent and all staff were friendly....shame yesterday left a bad impression.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FifiMelbourne
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear FifiMelbourne,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me the feedback from your recent stay. I was so disheartened to read that your stay was less than perfect and may I apologise in advance for any inconvenience that you experienced.
I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again and would like you to please contact me directly.
I will message you my email address and I encourage you to please make contact.