“Brilliant stay at a great rate”

ibis Melbourne Hotel and Apartments
Ranked #71 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Papamoa, NZ
“Brilliant stay at a great rate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were first time travelers to Melbourne and needed somewhere well priced, in the CBD, that was clean and reliable. We didn't want to arrive (after midnight) and find there was a problem with our booking etc. Went with Ibis as a well known hotel chain and was not disappointed.

The room was a studio unit that was fine for our 6 night stay. It was modern, clean, serviced daily and the hotel facilities were good. Staff were helpful.

A ten minute walk down Swanston Street had us on the City Circle Tram and the Queen Victoria Market was only 5 mins away.

The Ibis Restaurant is average. We ate two meals there and the food was palatable but not spectacular, and quite expensive for what it was. This sounds harsh but we would suggest dining out.

Only have two grizzles -

1. The air conditioning unit was off but seemed to make a humming noise that was off-putting at night time (it may have been other air con in the hotel or the roof mounted compressors as we were on the 11th floor).

2. The internet is prohibitively expensive at AUD 55 cents per minute to a maximum of $27 per day. We only turned the wireless on occasionally during the each day to check emails and Facebook and ended up paying AUD $88. Even though the times we had connected were listed on the account it seemed excessive and worked out at just over $14 a day for about 25 mins per day.

I'd recommend travelers buy a T Stick from the likes of Dick Smith for $50 with a Gig prepaid data.

In conclusion we thought that the Ibis offered a good, clean stay at a reasonable price - just don't use their internet.

Room Tip: We did not have any view from our 11th floor room apart from neighbouring buildings. Perhaps ask ab...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
JadeIbisMelbourne, Manager at ibis Melbourne Hotel and Apartments, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay. I appreciate you taking the time to do so and it was great to hear you were happy with the location. I was sorry to gear about your restaurant experience and I have passed this on to our Head Chef to follow up.

I do hope we can welcome you again in the future!

Regards
Jade Stunden
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed here on Saturday 21/04/2012 and I must say I thought it was fantastic. When I booked in I mentioned I was celebrating my birthday and on arrival was greeted with "happy birthday". I got to my room and there was a complimentary bottle of champagne and a lovely card wishing me a happy birthday. I had booked the bistro for dinner for 11 friends and was suprised with a dessert platter for all of us which looked so pretty and was absolutely delicious! I loved the late 2pm checkout option and how clean the room was. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel, it is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and rest assured I have shared this with my team.

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Regards
Jade Stunden
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Having never stayed at an Ibis before, I was unsure what to expect. It turns out however that it was far from disappointing. The 2 bedroom apartment stayed in was ample in space and surprisingly well satisfying in comfort. Expect minimalism in decor but everything expected from other apartments was available. Value for money was exceptional and I would recommend this for the budget but comfort conscious traveller. The location is also superb, a short hop from the city's main streets- Elizabeth and Swanston, the Victoria Markets, Little Italy in Lygon Street, and with trams a few seconds away.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business