We were first time travelers to Melbourne and needed somewhere well priced, in the CBD, that was clean and reliable. We didn't want to arrive (after midnight) and find there was a problem with our booking etc. Went with Ibis as a well known hotel chain and was not disappointed.
The room was a studio unit that was fine for our 6 night stay. It was modern, clean, serviced daily and the hotel facilities were good. Staff were helpful.
A ten minute walk down Swanston Street had us on the City Circle Tram and the Queen Victoria Market was only 5 mins away.
The Ibis Restaurant is average. We ate two meals there and the food was palatable but not spectacular, and quite expensive for what it was. This sounds harsh but we would suggest dining out.
Only have two grizzles -
1. The air conditioning unit was off but seemed to make a humming noise that was off-putting at night time (it may have been other air con in the hotel or the roof mounted compressors as we were on the 11th floor).
2. The internet is prohibitively expensive at AUD 55 cents per minute to a maximum of $27 per day. We only turned the wireless on occasionally during the each day to check emails and Facebook and ended up paying AUD $88. Even though the times we had connected were listed on the account it seemed excessive and worked out at just over $14 a day for about 25 mins per day.
I'd recommend travelers buy a T Stick from the likes of Dick Smith for $50 with a Gig prepaid data.
In conclusion we thought that the Ibis offered a good, clean stay at a reasonable price - just don't use their internet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ibis Melbourne is well located within easy walking distance of the famous Queen Victoria Markets, the legendary Lygon Street restaurant precinct and the Melbourne Central Shopping district. Fully refurbished and boasting a fresh new look, ibis Melbourne features 250 rooms, including one and two bedroom apartments, a vibrant restaurant and bar, plus internet access and conferencing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, ACCOR and HotelQuickly so you can book your ibis Melbourne Hotel and Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Accor Melbourne
- Ibis Melbourne