“Great Weekend”

Ranked #13 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Great Weekend”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We just returned from a weekend in Melbourne, choosing the Blackman in the art series hotels. I am a huge fan of Charles Blackman, particularly his Alice in Wonderland series, so it was the perfect choice. The rooms are beautifully decorated, modern but also a bit homely.

It was our ten year wedding anniversary and great choice of hotel. The staff were very polite and attentive, yet understated. We were also very pleased to find a bottle of bubbles in our room with a lovely note from the hotel. Very nice.

If I was returning to Melbourne I would definitely stay at one of the art series hotels. The others are possibly more centrally located, but I could not fault our experience. The only downside was the weather – quite cold and I wish I packed a few jackets!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SydneyLennox
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear Guest,
What a lovely review, and we are extermely pleased that you have taken the time to let us know about your weekend.
The staff will be thrilled that you had a wonderful time here at the hotel and that you chose the Blackman hotel to celebrate your 10th wedding anniversary!!!
We do hope to see you again one day soon.
Duty Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Greek first
Bay of Plenty
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I enjoyed a one night stay. My accommodation overlooked an office block but this did not matter on a Saturday night, in fact it was nice and quiet!
Receptionist was aloof and did not go the extra mile.
The decor in my spacious room was gorgeous - expect some wow factor for the $ paid.
Next day I walked from accommodation into city. I later read that there was complimentary shuttle but was never advised when I checked in.

Room Tip: If you stay on a Saturday night, ask for room looking out onto office block - I found it quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this comment about your recent stay with us at the Blackman.
It sounds like you loved the hotel, however, I am disappointed to hear your comment on your check in experience. This service from our Reception staff is not our usual high standard, and will be discussed at our next staff meeting.
We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed here for a week and cannot fault this hotel. Its 2 mins walk to tram/ bus stop which takes you either to the city or St Kilda. The room has everything you could want and it's very well equiped. We hope to stay here again when we next travel to Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you had a wonderful stay here at the Blackman.
We do hope to see you again in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I travel quite often with work from Sydney and I was compelled to write a review following my last stay at The Blackman.
I usually stay at the Park View on St Kilda road. On my last trip into Melbourne they were full so my company put me up at The Blackman and I'm glad they did. The rooms are clean and modern, I liked the touch of the cooking facilities. The beds are incredibly soft, it's the best nights sleep I've had in a hotel in a long time. The gym is ok a little small but functional.
The thing that separates this hotel from others is the staff. I arrived late in the evening and Rob was fantastic. He was welcoming and even though it was late he introduced himself, ran through the whole hotel and told me when he would be on for the next few days. It was nice to have a point of contact.
Also Argin (I'm not sure of the spelling) the night manager was very helpful and greeted me each morning of my stay.

Thank you to all at The Blackman I'll be returning soon

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Haylee J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for this wonderful review. We are very pleased to here that we will now be your choice of accommodation when you are staying in Melbourne. As you do travel for business, the hotel does offer very competive corporate rates, please contact the hotel's sales department if you are interested.
The staff really are what makes a great hotel. Both Rob and Arjun have been with us since the opening of the hotel, and are very valued members of our team. I will be certain to tell them of your very kind words, they will be extremely pleased.
We look forward to seeing you here again in the near future.
Nice, France
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I stayed in a studio suite balcony and it was altogether a nice experience :
Situation is not central but within easy access by trams. Nothing fancy in the area except some nice office buildings and converted old villas. Only a very small choice of dining venues are within walking distance, it is a business area.
The rooms are big and nicely decorated but all the hotel theme is about one artist so, if this is important to you, you'd better check on internet if his artistic style is suiting you.!
Nice kitchenette and original modern furniture in the room. Very harmonious tones, all together, the room makes you feel fine and relax (again if you've got nothing against the artist's style)
The room was very quite but with no view (7th floor).
Main drawback is the staff, The receptionist asks for your credit card and that's it; staff met in the corridors or lifts don't say hello. This is very often the case in arty or boutique hotels, no surprise on that level at The Blackman.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing this review about your recent stay with us at the Blackman. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are extremely honoured to have our hotel named after the famous Australian artist, Charles Blackman, and to have his art works throughout the building. The hotel is all themed around Charles artwork.
It is very disappointing to read, that you found our staff to be unfriendly. This is certainly not acceptable and it is certainly not our standard level of service, as you have read from all our previous tripadvisor comments about our staff.
We do hope that you will come back to the hotel and stay with us again in the near future.