Melbourne Central YHA
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$ 218
US$ 139
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$ 176
US$ 148
CrownePlaza.com
  • Restaurant
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$ 149
US$ 137
US$ 143
US$ 128
Priceline
  • Room Service
Oaks On William(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$ 141
US$ 114
US$ 96
US$ 89
  • Fitness centre
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$ 117
US$ 110
  • Room Service
Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$ 86
US$ 71
US$ 257
US$ 206
  • Pool
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$ 146
US$ 126
Agoda.com
  • Fitness centre
All reviewssouthern cross stationbed female dormrooftop areaflinders streetyouth hostelkey cardtram stopbring earplugsdouble roomfree tram zonebudget accommodationthe ground floorfirst floorenjoyed my stayfree wificrown casinoperfect location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed at the YHA in Melbourne in the beginning of December for a few nights in a twin bunk bed room. Nothing impressive, but no complaints. However I have just stayed there for 5 nights over the F1 weekend, I stayed in a double, a mens 4 dorm for 2 nights and a twin bunk bed room for 2 nights. Rooms were again simple, nothing impressive however my girlfriends mattress in the twin room was covered in hair and obviously the sheets hadn't been changed. We told reception and they did nothing so we took some new sheets ourselves and made the bed up. The bathrooms on the third floor were also a state the entire time. Toilets had been cleaned to a rubbish standard and half the lights didn't work. Again told the staff and they did nothing. And then on the final day of checkout we had to leave our suitcases for 1 hour whilst we went to get breakfast before heading to the airport and they charged us. I think there needs to be a new management and a complete new staff system. Not morons who use most of their thinking capability for breathing. Rude, unfriendly and loud. The worst hostel ever. DO NOT STAY HERE, GO TO ONE IN ST.KILDA.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
17  Thank dowzy1234
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Great building, nice people, good price, great location! I strongly reccomend this hostel!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brmoulin
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Very good location, clean rooms, nice roof on the top, close to everywhere especially to southcross station from which buses are going for Avalon or Tullumarine Airport. Friendly staff- even I had Nokia charger borrowed:)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Alxandra_St
Reviewed 8 February 2012

The rate of hostel is good in Melbourne. The facility of YHA is new and location is also good. You can take no 35 city circle in front of YHA. There is only a small fan in the room and you will feel hot right now. Moreover, the man in reception is not friendly. Especially when you took a long flight, you will be exhausted if you meet the stubborn man. All other ladies are very good.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank xpeoplex
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Melbourne Central YHA was the first hostel I have ever stayed in and I honestly think I picked a good one! The entrance is located next to the hostel's bar, Bertha Brown's and the only indication that the hostel is there is a small YHA sign next to the door. You walk into a concrete corridor past the bar to a lift (useful for the heavy bags) and a car park style stairway. "Eek what have I let myself in for?" was my initial reaction but once I was lifted up to reception, I lost every worry I had.

For a start, this is the most secure hostel I stayed in on my trip. You need a key card to get into the building (it is open before 9pm) and the lift doesn't work if you don't scan your key card first. Once you get out of the lift, you need your key card again to access your floor and again to get into your room.

The reception area is warm and friendly with plenty of books to delve into should you wish to and every snippet of information you could wish for to help you get the most out of Melbourne, including noticeboards (also on every floor) advertising current events and local excursions. The staff were all lovely, very friendly and incredibly happy to help. Check in was also easy and quick.

I stayed at this hostel for four nights, the first of which I stayed in a double room. This room was very spacious but basic, containing just a bed and a chair, a mirror on the door and bedside tables. Linen was already prepared so thankfully I could jump straight into bed and a towel was provided too. The room I chose wasn't ensuite (though they do have ensuite rooms should you want one) but the communal bathrooms were just down the corridor, very clean and well looked after. the showers each have a changing room too with a bench and hooks to hand clothes on which was great.

Check out time is 10am and I couldn't move into my new room until 2pm but the reception staff put my bag in a secure storage room with a tag/receipt for free and also gave me a key card that enabled me to use all of the facilities in the hostel until I checked into my new room.

For the remainder of my stay I was in a three bed dorm on a comfortable top bunk. The room was quiet (apart from someone moving in at 4am) but very warm and stuffy. The window only opened a small amount and at least let some fresh air in but didn't really help. There are lockers provided under the beds but you need a padlock for them ($8 from reception if you don't have your own). Linen is provided but you need to make your own bed and remove the sheets when you leave (as per most hostels), towels are not provided in share rooms.

The communal facilities were excellent. There are laundry rooms, television rooms and kitchens on every floor, a lovely, spacious balcony on the first floor and a fantastic terrace on the roof with great views of the surrounding area.

The best thing about the hostel was the location. Being on Flinders Street you are close to everything. Southern Cross Station, home to the Skybus terminal is just around the corner, five minutes by foot. The Melbourne Aquarium, the Crowne Casino Complex and Yarra River are all opposite the hostel just behind the buildings you see as you walk out. The Eureka Building is about a 15 minute walk if you cross the river and walk down Southbank. The Neighbours centre and tours to Ramsay Street and Phillip Island leave from two doors down to the right and Flinders Street Station and Federation Square are a 15 minute walk if you turn left out of the hostel. There is also a tram stop right outside the hostel which serves the major tram routes (including up to Flinders Street Station and Fed Square) and the free City Circle Tram.

For the money you pay for a double room ($90 a night) you may find a cheap hotel or B&B that may be a little more amenable but I doubt you would find as good a location for the same price. My only other advice would be to be wary of the cafes locally as they are a little more expensive than other places used by locals. If you need to eat in the immediate area, take advantage of the hostel discounts for breakfasts etc. Also be aware of the wifi cards. If you have travelled in Australia/New Zealand before, you will know that wifi is expensive and most hostels connect to global gossip. When you enter your code and pin, make sure you choose the correct plan (ie. pay as you go, per hour, 24 hours etc) otherwise the $8 you paid for 24 hours disappears very quickly. The home page isn't always clear about this. Also if you connect using your iphone first, you have to use pay as you go and you can't transfer your credit to a laptop.

The Melbourne Central YHA is possibly a little more expensive that other hostels but you get what you pay for and with YHA that is a certain standard; clean, roomy, friendly, well looked after and a fantastic location. I would not hesitate to recommend this hostel or to stay there again myself.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo