“Local italian gem”

Unica Cucina e Caffe
Ranked #690 of 4,649 Restaurants in Melbourne
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

The food and atmosphere at this local gem is great. My husband and I had the cozze, the kids had gnocchi and bruschetta.

It is byo, so make sure you bring your wine, however if not, there is a bottle shop within a 2 minute walk.

Michelle and the staff made our family feel welcomed and right at home. What was supposed to be a quick meal, turned into a few hours of drinking, eating and laughs.

We cant believe it has taken us so long to visit Unica, however we will definitely be regulars from here on.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 15 October 2018

Excellent**** Parking available out the front, Well priced meals which are huge, very generous sizing of serves. It is Italian Seafood cuisine so check out the menu prior to booking if you are fussy. The setting is quite intimate, tables for two are tucked in quiet niches, with larger tables for the more boisterous crowds. For the quieter eaters, on the smaller tables, the service makes you feel like esteemed family members of the owners.
advise booking for early dinner and getting out.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

A truextaste of Italy on the peninsula. From the moment u walk in ti the moment u leave. Staff & food is truly amazing. I haven't tasted true italinan cooking like that since i was last in Italy. Thanku so much for the wonderful experience. Will definitely be coming back again.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 8 September 2018

If you don't like sitting on a bench and most tables had benches, i would recommend specifying a table with chairs.
The staff were very friendly and attentive and it's nice to find a restaurant that is BYO.
The menu is simple and predictable Italian fare but nothing exceptional.
My spaghetti marinara was too salty for my liking and the seafood was nothing exceptional. The Caprese salad was ok, but the Italians are noted for their freshness of produce and simple and aromatic flavours. This dish missed that mark. Coming back from Italy the week before and eating that same dish, the difference is remarkable.
No one at the table considered any of his dishes a stand out.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

We started off with the Tasmanian oysters and the White Bait. Oysters were great, White Bait was soft and soggy. Then onto main, my partner had the 4 king prawns on salad with calamari and zucchini chips and thought it was nice(I can’t remember what this dish was called) . I had ordered the seafood marinara as it was the “chefs special” and the waitress spoke highly of it. Quite a large serving but it is mainly a big bowl of packet spaghetti! Barely any meat in the crab, the meat that was in there was mushy and the supermarket marina mix was over cooked. The prawns and the chilli sauce that was offered were great, otherwise very bland in the tomato base I ordered.

Half way through our night this lady stormed into the restaurant, making us feel uncomfortable. She was walking around in a huff and puff and started serving tables. No uniform, sunglasses still on her head at dinner service and a real attitude to go with it. We then find out this “lady” is the owner.

Up we went to get the bill and it wasn’t until we left that I realised the Seafood Marina was over $50!!! The marina wasn’t bad but it definitely wasn’t good and certainly not worth the $50+ If I had of been informed of the price (it was the only one on the specials board without a price) I wouldn’t have ordered it. Wouldn’t recommend at all!

*waitresses were lovely and polite

Date of visit: August 2018