“Food mecca on the hill”
Review of Templo

Templo
Ranked #26 of 601 Restaurants in Hobart
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After many previous trip attempts to gain a booking we were delighted to land a last minute Friday lunch spot. Unpretentious, warm and inviting, we loved it. They let the ingredients speak for themselves and laid out dish after dish of elegant deliciousness. Handmade pasta dressed with rich sauce that hangs off the spoon and heavenly pillows of gnocco fritto with pickles and freshly shaved charcuterie were our highlights. Special mention to the music selection, love me a bit of Sharon Jones as I nosh. I hope to return for a night service next time we can escape across Bass Straight

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (434)

Reviewed 21 July 2021 via mobile

I dined solo and had the $50 lunch. Every dish was great. Creative, tasty and fresh. Lovely service. Cosy atmosphere. Recommend BYO for $20 as wine lust is a bit eclectic and expensive. Highly recommended

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 11 July 2021

Had the second sitting with BYO sparkling - my wife and I
Hosts were very attentive and friendly
Sat at the communal table which I was worried may have been too noisy and intrusive - which it Wasn’t
Food was degustation menu - all delicious which too me is the main thing
Stools were not uncomfortable as some have reviewed
This restaurant deserves to be successful

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 16 June 2021

This small restaurant is located out of the main tourist and shopping areas but is well worth a visit. I definitely recommend booking ahead as the restaurant only seats about 20 people and that includes people on stools seated at the bar, those seated at a large round communal table plus a couple of other tables.

We were seated at the large round table with six other people we did not know but there was plenty of room plus the couple of large flower decorations in the middle of the table provided some privacy.

The Luncheon menu was displayed on the blackboard and was a degustation consisting of four dishes, a starter, an entree, a main and a dessert, for $50 per head. You could have had matched wines but we chose a local bottle of Pinot Noir.

Restaurant did provide gluten free options for my wife as we had advised of a wheat intolerance when booking.

All four of our dishes were very tasty with perhaps the standout being the house made Gnocchetti with cabbage and guancale together with the pastry puffs that were part of the starter. The cotechino entree was served on a bed of lentils. Full marks for the cotechino which was superb. Unfortunately I am not a fan of lentils. The quince tart dessert was also good.

There was what appeared to be a good, but not extensive, wine list on the blackboard that was focused mainly on local Tasmanian brands.

There was only one lady front of house and she was very friendly and efficient.

We will definitely visit again.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 24 May 2021

On holidays for a couple of weeks. Spent a few days in Melbourne prior to coming down to Tasmania. While in Melbourne went to Scorpi in Carlton. That was superb, seriously good. Who would have thought we'd come down to Hobart and strike a place where the food was definitely equal to, perhaps even better, than Scorpi? That place was Templo.

On the recommendation of a friend we came here. Simply brilliant. Booked about 4 - 5 weeks ago. At that stage could only get the first sitting, 6 p.m., on a Sunday night. We got there about 5.50 p.m. As per other reviews, it is in a quiet area of town, with nothing open nearby. We walked from the waterfront, near Salamanca Place - uphill all the way. We hoofed it because we thought we might be late. Took us about 20 minutes. Had read a few reviews where people had been held at the door pending their sitting time, but we walked straight in. I assume if you lob for the first sitting being a ten or so minutes early isn't the problem it might be for the 8 p.m. time slot. Of course, I assume, the 8 p.m. guests get to stay longer.

The place is small. By my count seated only 20. A round table with 8 chair height stools, where you may, or may not, be sitting next to people you haven't met before, and 6 other tables, each seating a max of 2. You are close to your neighbours, for sure. For us not an issue.

The set menu had 5 courses. $85 per person. I take it from reading revues and looking at associated pics the menu changes, if not daily, then very frequently. We didn't do the wine to match at $65 per person. Perhaps I should have seeing I had 3 glasses over the course of the evening for a total cost of about $50. They were lovely, by the way.

Bread was bought to our table as a starter. I don't know what the olive oil was but it was very good. We could have spent the evening there drinking wine and eating bread dipped in that oil and been content.

First course Gnocco Fritto. Lovely. Came with an accompanying mushroom croquette. 2nd course warm beetroot with hazelnuts and horseraddish. I do like beetroot but who would have thought it would be the centre piece of a dish?
Horseraddish I also love, but it can be overwhelming. Not so in this case - perfect.
3rd course, Dory and Potato Cappellacci. Superb. 4th course, Porchetta with sugarloaf cabbage. A taste sensation. Crackling to die for, pork melted in your mouth. Magnificent. Sugarloaf cabbage warmed to perfection, the perfect accompaniment. Crabapple semi freddo to finish off. Excellent.

It's not silver service, but the service was good, not intrusive. A world class meal, one of the best my wife and I have had. Who would have thought? 2 in 2 weeks.

Date of visit: May 2021