“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
Launceston, Australia
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Booked through wotif.com as a mystery hotel and stayed for one night.
Before going I read the reviews on trip advisor and was a little unsure what to expect.
I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived a little early, before check in time. This wasn't a problem. A man and women checked us in and were both very friendly and chatty.
The car park is small but not a real issue. Although we were there coming unto Easter and only saw 3 other couples.
The room was very large with extra high ceilings. Furniture nice and bed comfortable enough.
The shower was nice but took a long time for the hot water to come through, but once hot it was beautiful.
They had a breakfast room but we didn't use it.
Good location, close to town and easy walk to Salamanca .

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
CYPRESS COUNTY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I was a little sceptical when I booked our room based on the Tripadvisor reviews. We were very happy with the room, service, & location of the hotel. We had been touring for 2 months. This is one of the best rooms we have seen. I would recommend the hotel to anyone. The rooms are large & original. The location is awsome. The hosts work hard to ensure you have a great stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

The comments made by 'What E' defy belief! We stayed in room 19 last weekend. Yes it has bars on the window but coming from the UK nearly ALL heritage buildings with basement flats/apartments in the city tend to have bars - for obvious security purposes!!! They were screened by curtains, so you couldn't really notice them. We found the room - whilst a little outdated - to be extremely clean and comfortable with a comfortable bed, flat screen TV and a decent mini bar. The shower room was perfectly clean and functional. And at least we had a hot shower which is more than I can say for the Leisure Inn on MacQuarie Street and a couple of other hotels we have stayed in Hobart (we stay in Hobart regularly - on a 2-4 week basis and have stayed in nearly all of the 4 star hotels now!!) I had an excellent night's sleep in room 19. There is double glazing on the windows and the room was blissfully dark & quiet despite the busy road.

I also suffer from Asthma and allergies and have a keen sense of smell BUT noticed NO pungent smells. I cannot understand 'What E's comments as they could not have been further from my own experience. My only concession to 'What E's" diatribe is that the hotel is perhaps getting a bit worn around the edges in places - even though the heritage decor is intentional in order to enhance the heritage architecture/ambience I am sure - it is a beautiful old building! Strangely I commented upon this as I was leaving because I like to give direct feedback so that owners can respond and the owners did indicate to me (as the told me that they had only taken over the hotel a year ago) that these small details were gradually being attended to.

The owners were just so lovely and so helpful (good old fashioned hospitality that you don't often see any more)! As to price - the price we paid via Wotif was very fair I thought.

If you want to stay in a beautiful National Trust heritage building, are looking for good old fashioned service, appreciate heritage influenced decor and the 'old colonial feel', want a decent night's sleep in a comfortable bed - all within easy walking distance of everything look no further.

It is quirky, it is a characterful heritage property, it isn't 'flash and sleek' (probably realistically more 3 1/2 star than 4) but its still a gem! We have stayed there twice now, so it cannot be that bad - I am a fussy old coot!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building as opposed to the newer extension. Don't think there is a gy...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Stayed in room 15, enoungh room for 3 people easily. The manor had a nice ambience and was located well, being a few minuteswalk from the salamanca markets. Offstreet parking is available, but there are only 7 parks offstreet. Enjoyed the stay, and was made welcome when we arrived. Very nice!

• Stayed March 2012
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

I am writing in regards to a booking i made thru your website last week and the experience i had at the venue i had been booked into by your "mystery deal"
As being a little adventurous i thought i would give this ago and preceded with the $400+ dollars for the 2 nights (room 19) in the 4 star establishment.
The Venue was The Macquarie Manor Heritage Hotel in Hobart Tasmania.

I could go on about the plethora of disappointments of my stay at the Macquarie Manor, but i will keep it short

The below ground bottom level room with iron bars on the two available windows looking out on to a fire escape (we will forget the other window which is covered up by a blind with a broken fan behind it) did not quite rise my spirits for my 2 nights stay, The bath room was un-acceptably dirty with strings of black hair on the walls ( above the toilet & around the mirror) That just made my eye hone in on the pealing Floral dado print along the walls in the bathroom, But the smell of incense or some other masking agent being used to mask what must be damp / obnoxious odours and smells was to me the final disappointment of my room. I suffer from Asthma, along with allergies to dust mites and certain scents.

Upon my leaving the manor Sunday Morning 9.30 ish, I stood in the foyer for about 5-8 minutes noticing a young Female on the computer in the rear of the office jiggaling my keys looking for a bell saying hello into the dining room to no avail, i then stood at the reception and looked into the rear of the office hoping to get the young girls attention to hand in my key and pay for a bottle of water ONLY to get the office door slammed shut..I walked out in disgust !!!

This Heritage hotel or that room (19) is grossly over priced, disappointing and a world away from heritage or Class its damp smelly tired and i feel very disappointed with my experience with both the room and the concept of a "Mystery Deal" .

With the abundance of new/ refurbished and competitive accommodation that we as the consumers have a choice of, it will be very challenging for me to repeat either of my experience with your services again!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends