The comments made by 'What E' defy belief! We stayed in room 19 last weekend. Yes it has bars on the window but coming from the UK nearly ALL heritage buildings with basement flats/apartments in the city tend to have bars - for obvious security purposes!!! They were screened by curtains, so you couldn't really notice them. We found the room - whilst a little outdated - to be extremely clean and comfortable with a comfortable bed, flat screen TV and a decent mini bar. The shower room was perfectly clean and functional. And at least we had a hot shower which is more than I can say for the Leisure Inn on MacQuarie Street and a couple of other hotels we have stayed in Hobart (we stay in Hobart regularly - on a 2-4 week basis and have stayed in nearly all of the 4 star hotels now!!) I had an excellent night's sleep in room 19. There is double glazing on the windows and the room was blissfully dark & quiet despite the busy road.
I also suffer from Asthma and allergies and have a keen sense of smell BUT noticed NO pungent smells. I cannot understand 'What E's comments as they could not have been further from my own experience. My only concession to 'What E's" diatribe is that the hotel is perhaps getting a bit worn around the edges in places - even though the heritage decor is intentional in order to enhance the heritage architecture/ambience I am sure - it is a beautiful old building! Strangely I commented upon this as I was leaving because I like to give direct feedback so that owners can respond and the owners did indicate to me (as the told me that they had only taken over the hotel a year ago) that these small details were gradually being attended to.
The owners were just so lovely and so helpful (good old fashioned hospitality that you don't often see any more)! As to price - the price we paid via Wotif was very fair I thought.
If you want to stay in a beautiful National Trust heritage building, are looking for good old fashioned service, appreciate heritage influenced decor and the 'old colonial feel', want a decent night's sleep in a comfortable bed - all within easy walking distance of everything look no further.
It is quirky, it is a characterful heritage property, it isn't 'flash and sleek' (probably realistically more 3 1/2 star than 4) but its still a gem! We have stayed there twice now, so it cannot be that bad - I am a fussy old coot!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel is situated in the middle of Hobart City. Walking distance to major tourist city attractions. Limited Parking is available at $15.00 per day on a first in, first served basis. The guest lounge , bar and breakfast restaurant is very contemporary in design and the room rates are designed for the budget traveller. Rooms are large, air conditioned with modern bathrooms. Check in is between the hours of 2pm and 7pm. Check out is 10am Luggage storage is available for $5.00 per day. A continental breakfast is free to all guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macquarie Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Macquarie Manor Hotel Hobart
- Quality Macquarie Manor Hobart
- Quality Inn Hobart
- Macquarie Manor Hobart, Tasmania