The hotel/casino is sited on a point of land projecting into the Derwent River. At an estimate it is about 4.5 kms from the city centre which can be gained by an interesting walk along Sandy Bay, past Graham Blackwood Marina and Salamanca Place. A taxi ride costs A$10.00.
My wife and I stayed at the hotel on three occasions in September 2017. Two of the stays were by design as part of a tour. The other stay was impromptu as part of our tour route could not be undertaken due to heavy snow closing the roads in the Cradle Mountain area.
As our stay was part of a tour check in was pre-arranged. It was very efficient and simple.
Before commenting further it is appropriate to note the very courteous, friendly and accommodating attitude of all staff. They went out of their way to make you feel welcome and were always ready with assistance.
During our stays we occupied Room No. 412 for two nights, Room 915 for one night and Room 602 for two nights.
Rooms 412 and 915 had mountain views. Room 602 had an outlook towards Mount Wellington and Graham Blackwood Marina.
In each instance the rooms were adequate in size, beds (1 double and 1 single) were comfortable and with linen clean and crisp. The rooms were equipped with air-conditioning, TV, alarm, clock, table, chairs, safe, mini-bar, tea/coffee making facilities.
Bathrooms are best described as compact. The layout is not good as the entrance door opens against the toilet which is not conducive to easy access in the dark of night. If there had been a bit of foresight the bathroom doors should have been hinged on the opposite side so that they opened against the bath thus improving toilet access. Towels etc. are just of adequate thickness and quality. There were the usual complimentary shampoos, conditioner, soap etc.
Rooms 415 and 602 had a shower over the bath. Notwithstanding there was a substantial handrail to assist entry and exit from the bath/shower it would remain a difficult manoeuvre for older people or those otherwise unsteady on their feet to step into and from the bath. Room 915 had a shower cubicle so the question of difficult access/exit did not arise. Water pressure was good and temperature flow of hot water was consistent.
The door to the bathroom in Room 602 looked a bit tatty as the bottom part of the inside was delaminating.
Each of the rooms were quiet and thick curtains ensured sleep was not spoiled by light.
We mainly dined in the Coffee Shop restaurant that has great views over the Derwent River. Breakfasts, buffet style, were very good with a wide selection of food that catered for many tastes. My only gripe is that there was no marmalade available but plenty of other conserves. Evening dinners were also buffet style and, again, the food was plentiful and varied to suit all palates. These meals were included in our tour costs so I cannot comment on whether they are reasonably priced or otherwise.
Overall our stays were very pleasant and I would not hesitate to book there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience an absolute Hobart waterfront destination at Wrest Point; with spectacular river and mountain views, many fantastic dining experiences - including the award winning 17th floor Point Revolving Restaurant - a range of entertainment and genuine Tasmanian hospitality. For accommodation in an amazing location, great service and quality food and wine, look no further than Wrest Point. Choose from 4 Star Water Edge Rooms or superb 4 1/2 star Rooms and Suites in the famous Wrest Point Tower that capture stunning views of the river, majestic Mount Wellington, Hobart city and surrounds. Equal access rooms are available on request in the Tower. Wrest Point also offers a choice of 5 restaurants and 4 bars, from one of Hobart's premier dining restaurants, the Point Revolving Restaurant to the absolute waterfront location of Pier One Restaurant and Bar; to Tassie's best cocktails and live music 7 nights a week in the iconic Birdcage Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Wrest Point reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wrest Point Hotel Sandy Bay
- Wrest Point Landmark Hotel
- Hotel Wrest Point Landmark
- Wrest Point Hobart, Tasmania