“Simply the best - better than all the rest in Hobart”
Review of Garagistes - CLOSED

Garagistes
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Website is under construction. Luke Burgess is chef. e-mail is info@garagistes.com.au
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Wow. What an interesting place. I flew down to Hobart on business but my wife insisted she come along to try Garagistes and Luke Burgess' cooking. We arrived on a Friday evening at about 6:30 and the place was rocking. There is a no booking policy but there were four empty spaces left at the end of a table. We were told that we could wait for a few moments while another couple paid their bill and we could have their seats at the bar. We were offered a wine list to browse and asked if we would like a drink while we waited. While we waited four people arrived and told the waitress that they had four seats reserved. They were shown to the four empty seats at the end of the table - it seems that the no reservations policy is strictly enforced....for some people. Its who you know that counts. We were shown to our sears after less than five minutes so we were happy. Now to the menu. What a wonderfull menu it was as well. We ordered a bottle of 2008 Savaterre Pinot Noir. Savaterre pinot noir is most commonly a muscular, tannic wine in need of bottle age to show its best. However, this 2008 disappointed. We expected chicory, woodsmoke, cedar and dark cherries. What we received was less than that. However, that was not the fault of the restaurant. To the food, and I'll not go into everything we ate. What I will say is that we decided to share and we started at the befinning and worked our way through to nearly the end. Only one plate disappointed and that was because the fennel overpowered the dish - and I could still take it while we were eating the next dish. Even so the food, atmosphere, service and location are great. We are long time foodies having eaten at some of the "best" restaurants around the world. We will fly down to Garagistas again. It has that feel. We will wait until the winter menu or maybe until the next summer menu.

There are newer reviews for Garagistes

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Unique and exciting dishes with fantastic flavors. Dessert was out of this world. Try everything. Amazing!

Reviewed 17 April 2012

The chef obviously can cook and has a loyal foodie following. He has enjoyed much positive publicity. I love to try something different and of a high standard. I had seen the press reports about long lines waiting outside to have the privilege of eating there. Anyway, we went along on Friday night at 6pm. The tables were nearly full but the 5 bar stools were free. Probably because each time anyone dries their hands in the open loos, you hear the drier.The first feeling I had was the lack of a 'buzz', the room is interesting but dismal, there are 5 long wooden tables which seat 10 diners each. I could liken it to a boarding school dining room. The wine list by the glass is short but has a lovely selection of mainly European wines, we had Soave, the Pinot Noir and Cab Franc, all were wonderful.
Our waitress was attentive (good to have a bar seat) very pleasant and knew the menu well. Ok, so I don't eat meat - Garagistes was the wrong choice for me. Nonetheless, we decided to order the beetroot with marrow bone, then the 'special' Raw Blue Fin Tuna, Sea Urchin roe and mixed seaweeds. The Sea Urchin looked like cat's vomit and tasted awful (remember it's my personal opinion) one of the seaweeds was really good and the tuna was tasteless, there were 4 small pieces of tuna, we ate 2... Maybe someone forgot the dressing. My husband tried a dish which I believe had pig tail, he didn't actually know what he was eating. If you like quality wine, to experiment with food and eat meat, tongue, brains etc - You'll love Garagistes. Perhaps some people don't want to say too much in the negative, after all, no doubt some super dooper foodie will say "they just didn't get it''. I give it a few more months before the bubble bursts.

3  Thank grimrater
Reviewed 15 April 2012

As much as i admire what Mr Burgess is bringing to Hobart (thank you), i really felt like i was in a class room. The service went from 100% as other reviews say the staff do know what their talking about to 20%. Once we were served our meals that was it, gone. I ended up putting my hand in the air like i was answering a question in school until someone noticed i needed help. I recommend dining there for cheese and sake. The bathrooms are open, i quite liked people watching me put my lip gloss on ha. I'll be back...

Reviewed 13 April 2012

So they dont take bookings.... we know that so arrive at 5.30pm only to find the restaurant "full". There's a man sitting at a table clearly waiting for a group of friends. If you dont take bookings dont seat people until the whole party has arrived. We are told we will have a wait of an hour and fifteen minutes and go on the waiting list. There's nothing around the area so, like everyone else, we head up to "Sidecar" their little bar around the corner (thank goodness it wasn't raining - it's not that close). Sidecar doesn't even have any nuts or nibbles and considering we didn't eat much during the day (expecting to be having dinner early) the drinks are going to our heads. But its OK, we get to go out in the cold again, clear our heads and wander down to the restaurant when we get our call up. But our tables not ready AND there's nowhere to sit while you wait, no-one offers a drink or something to eat, we just stand around in the foyer for over half an hour. During this time people come in to be told there's now over a 2 hour wait but then in comes someone clearly friends with the hostess (they kiss hello and he comments that the restaurant "is not what he expected' so he hasn't been on the waiting list) - they are given a table within ten minutes. We called the hostess over and got her to take our order so we could be served as soon as we sat down - we were getting pretty damn grumpy by this time. The food was interesting although I have to be honest I found the whole "shared" food thing pretty slack; they dont even clear your plate - just the one the dish was served on (so my plate is tainted from one course to the next). I loved the carrot dish and was impressed with the trumpeter and the pork. There were just two desserts on the menu so we had both and they were very enjoyable (although I was surprised to find them served on the same dishes as the other meals - I understand the whole ceramic thing but a bit of variation in presentation wouldn't go astray). On the whole this was an interesting eating experience (which would have been improved with some "tasting notes" like you get at wineries - we were unfamiliar with many of the ingredients) but it was spoilt by the way they are handling the whole "no bookings" situation.

2  Thank Trace969