See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

I have never in my life been in a motel room so disgusting as this! We actually felt so unsafe we left after 20 minutes. Filthy linen & rooms. No smoke alarms, rubbish lining the hallways. How this motel has passed health & safety checks is beyond me! No fire exits, rubbish stacked 4 foot high in the quad in the middle of the motel. The fact they make you pay to stay her is a disgrace! It was like something out of a horrible nightmare

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank sage82
Reviewed 22 November 2017

Ignorance of the reputation of Hindley Street and lack of research are responsible for me booking a room in this hotel. The area is pretty dodgy but a quick google search will convince you of this. I can't imagine a native of Adelaide ever recommending to stay on this street. I stayed here on a Friday night, and despite being partially deafened by a concert I had attended the noise levels in the Hindley street side of the hotel are very loud. A mixture of music from clubs and the screaming and yelling of the drunken hoards on the street below will make sleep near impossible. My room smelled strongly of vagrants which dissipated somewhat when I turned on the fan and the A/C. The room itself wasn't terrible but it is the worst if have paid to stay in. The water pressure in the shower was virtually nil. The television was plugged into the wall but no signal was received on the television in any mode. The deadbolt on the door locked me in as it was broken and I needed to call reception to be let out of my room.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2017

I wasn't going to write a review of the Plaza, out of fairness. This is an old hotel in the seedy end of the "entertainment district" and we only ended up there because the Clipsal motor race had pushed vacancies down and prices up at all the other luxury hotels in Adelaide. The Plaza hadn't gouged its prices like the big end of town. It isn't fair comparing this ageing piece of real-estate with modern 4 and 5 star establishments. The next big renovation needed here would be a bomb, a fire or a badly failing aeroplane.

Having said that the staff at the desk were friendly and helpful, the linen clean and the rooms tidy within the constraints of what they have to work with. The wall-mounted air-con worked well.

What is less than pleasant? The room we were in reeked of three quarters of a century of cigarette abuse. It made my eyes sting. The TV only picked up the digital signal some of the time. There may have been a wireless hot-point but I couldn't find it. There was a fridge in the corner but experience with similar places taught me to turn it off before bed time, on account of the noise.

One pillow each precluded sitting up in bed. The sliding door to the ageing but clean bathroom was not able to stay on its runners for the whole cycle of opening and closing and needed to be lifted back and forth to enter and exit the bathroom- best done from outside the bathroom (bring a friend). Towels were fresh and clean and wrapped soaps provided.

It was a Saturday night. The sound of the night-club's music, fights and general after-party behaviour emanated around the little alley behind our room, even with the window closed.The multi-storey car park facing our room was the scene of some burn-out and revving action. It was plainly hard to sleep.

I don't want to take away from the staff running Adelaide's oldest hotel and the sheer historical aspect of staying in an Australian museum of detritus. Maybe Python's Four Yorkshiremen sketch summed it up: "Home? It was only a hole in the ground, but it was home to us."

Room Tip: Use the sniff test for stale cigarette odour. rear rooms exposed to noise in the laneway
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2016 via mobile

If you won't to be mental ill with or with there drugs from there grow room you can put that on me mark my words grumpy stooges at the desk I hate who they run probably hells Angels lol with call the cops ay they will steel you're money they say you get one week back they suck lots ichy sheets steel them and though them out

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Chrischris C
Reviewed 8 October 2016 via mobile

Located a short walk from the Rundle Mall, this quaint little hotel is a gem for budget accommodation. This place is reminiscent of backpackers accommodation. Our room contained a coffee making facilities, a bar fridge, tv and aircon. Don't know what other reviews are complaining about- depends on expectations I guess.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family