“Convenient, comfortable & well appointed”
Review of Oaks Horizons

Oaks Horizons
Ranked #25 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne, Australia
“Convenient, comfortable & well appointed”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Three nights on business. Didn't get to try out the spa bath or combo washer/dryer. Staff very helpful and courteous, 8th floor room with view of adjacent car park, recently renovated, very clean. Suited me as literally over the road from Adelaide Convention Center.
Though fast internet was available, it was expensive.

Room Tip: Go for an upper floor to get a better view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Horizons, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Horizons Apartments. It is great to read that our hotel suited your needs and was close to the Convention Centre. We are pleased you found your apartment to be clean and our staff friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I have always stayed in hotels while travelling for work, however, in recent times I have moved away from hotels and started to stay in apartments due to the fact that there is more space and laundry facilities.

This apartment is in a good location. It is central to many things including the casino. Close to the tram lines and the mall as well.

The apartment has ample space for 2 guests in a one bed room apartment. There is a small electric stove, a dishwasher and large fridge/freezer with no cumbersome mini bar items. There is a large TV and DVD player in the main living room.

In the bed room, there is also another TV and there is a safe. My safe does not work and it cant be fixed and after settling down, they have suggested that if I want to keep any valuables, I wil need to bring them down to own safe and keep it there. or they will check and see if there is another room for me to move into with a workable safe. but if I am already settled in this apartment then perhaps I wont move again.

So why did I mention that there is inconsistency in customer service?

I start work really early so have to be up and exercising by 4.30am. Most pools will open at 6 am only. So whenever BEFORE i make a booking, I will ring and personally ask this and JOSHUA promised me that if I were to speak to the night duty manager, it will be okay and THAT THERE WILL DEFINITELY be no problems as it is only for one person. I am not in there for a party, just to do 30 laps and out I go in 30 mins.

Then I make the booking, I rang again and spoke to JOSHUA and again he said it was ok and although he didnt sound irritated, you know yourself when you have asked the same question once to many times, that if they say it is okay, then it must be okay.

This booking was made only 4 days before I checked in.

So check in day comes... I spoke to a Rachel who was really good. I landed early and housekeeping got my room ready in about 1 hour so managed to check in at 12.45pm instead of 2pm, so thank you Rachel and the housekeeping staff.

NOW AGAIN, i mentioned this to rachel and she said she will check. I told her about my conversation with Joshua and she said she will mention it to Darren, the evening duty manager.

When i came back from dinner I told Darren about the arrangement and said, please let me know if there is any problems. he said it should be ok... I said can you please check with Joshua but even at this point in time 8pm, no one has said NO. full stop. they are still saying maybe, all sould be okay...

so come this morning. now it is 5am, i rang the night duty manager , GARETH, to confirm that he hasopened the pool and he said, oh no, he cant. there is someone staying near the pool area. Whilst I understand that it could be noisy if there was a few of us, I am just in and out of the pool , alone and doing 30 laps.. and out again... he then said... the pool hasnt been cleaned. I said I understand cos the pool gets cleaned at 6.30am but I am ok with it... I just needed to exercise before work time.

I askED if he spoke to anyone, he said that DARREN has said that there was someone in the room next to the pool so they cant open the pool area. SO WHY DIDNT DARREN SAY THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE LAST NIGHT?

While I understand the reason behind it, my disappoinment is in the staff. I am a training manager and would never train my staff to be inconsistent in their answers especially if they are front line hospitality. if they have said so in the first place, IF JOSHUA never just said, yeah yeah, there will be no problem at all cos there has never been a problem, I would have looked elsewhere. As that was in teh case in OAKS EMBASSY, 2 doors down, but as front line hospitality staff, dont just be a " YES M'MAM, " kind of staff. teach them to be firm, yes is a yes and no is a no and goes uniform throughout every staff....... then you wont get irate customers who have received conflicting information.

I have asked to speak to a higher management team but GARETH just said blunty that he was the only one. I understand that as it is only 5am in the morning... but it was his tone although he did bear teh brunt of my frustration. I just told him that as a manager, he would probably need to coach his staff a lot better.

If Adelaide had Meriton apartments, I would hve stayed there. they customer service levels is second to none... as well as Quest, although Quest has no gym and pool, they standard of service is wonderfully good too.....

So the redeeming feature of this place is the location, the cleanliness and then you just go out your daily work.

I understand your rules and the way you run things. but be up front with the customer.

5 Thank Madabtcars
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Horizons. We have spoken with the team at Horizons and it would appear the confusion was possibly around the equipment you wished to utilise. The team had understood initially you requested to use the pool facility but however then requested to use the gym equipment at this time when you telephoned down. We regret there appears to have been a clear misunderstanding at the time of your stay. We do however have many residents staying within the complex and we are bound by strict guidelines on the use of facilities to ensure there is no disruption to guests and residents alike. We appreciate your comments regarding consistency of information and understand your frustration in that regard. It is a clear indication that we need our staff to follow our policy and guidelines consistently to avoid miscommunication or confusion for our guests. Please be assured we will be addressing this with the team at Oaks Horizons in an effort to ensure there is a clear understanding and delivery of policy for future guests and we apologise for the confusion at the time of your stay. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Mittagong
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed 6 nights with our two boys. There was lots of room, the decor was very pleasant, the location near the Theatre, Galleries, Museum and Rundall Mall was very convenient and the Glenelg Tram stopped a short way up the street. Great view. We enjoyed being right near the restaurants and bars of a number of top hotels. Staff were really helpful and efficient and the pool and gym facilities are well looked after. We slept well - good linen, nice pillows, quiet heating and it seemed very well sound proofed. I was particularly impressed to see Oaks Hotels were sponsors of the South Australian Theatre Company. We attended a fantastic theatre production and noticed them listed among the sponsors on the program. We booked through Rates to Go and the price was excellent value.

1 Thank Peripidous
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Horizons. It is great to read that you found your apartment to be spacious and good value. We are pleased to hear that you found the location of our hotel to be convenient to your needs and were able to enjoy our facilities and the Adelaide Theatre Company. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Surprised at how spacious the apartment was when we walked in. It was very quiet, clean, the beds comfortable, pleasant kitchen. There is a work desk with desk lamp, which is always appreciated. Didn't do much cooking so I can't comment on the compact grill/oven appliance.
Very close to the casino, the glenelg tram, and a short walk from buses in Currie st or to the Rundle Mall. The view was of a car park, so we didn't sit on the balcony, but you can pay extra for a view of the park. Loved the lap pool, though it was a little chilly. Meant we had it to ourselves for doing laps! I wouldn't like to stay in the room adjacent to the pool and gym, as the door slamming could get annoying. Otherwise, would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: not the room adjacent to the pool/gym on the third floor
1 Thank maidmaria
, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Horizons, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Horizons. It is wonderful to read that you found your apartment to be spacious, quiet and clean. We are pleased to read that you were able to take advantage of the lap pool and found the location of our hotel to be convenient to all your needs. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed at the Oaks Horizon for 3 nights in a one bedroom river view apartment.
The location was very convenient to the convention centre - just across the road.

The apartment was clean, the bed was comfortable, the shower was hot and the gym wasn't crowded so it met my needs very well.

The staff were chatty, helpful and sympathetic about lost luggage (unlike Qantas!)

I got a Wotif cheap price, so it was good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view apartment on a higher floor, you get a great view to the Adelaide Oval and Nort...
1 Thank BVBV
, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Horizons, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Horizons Apartments. It is great to read that you found your apartment to be clean with a comfortable bed and that you were able to get a good price on Wotif. We are pleased you were able to utilise the gym facilities and that our staff were helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.