“Worst restaurant ever”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We were really looking forward to the paella and going to Espana. To start it was made difficult to book in(had a scoopon voucher). Made to go at 8pm on a Friday night in Feb. Restaurant had about 10 people. Asked about gluten free cook had NO idea told me meatballs okay apparently bread is not flour!! Luckily I rechecked. First waitress friendly but kept telling us how they are trying to increase business. Food- entree chorizo stunk of old oil, chicken wingettes like those from Leonards ?? Spanish influence. Seafood paella was the WORST meal I have ever had. Seafood still raw rice gluggy, no taste, I couldn't eat it. My husband had the churros which he said smelt of old oil. The bottle of wine was not the brand stated on coupon. When asked by second waitress how main meal was and told disappointed, no follow up from manager but instead when she brought the churros practically threw them on the table and walked off. Never again will be surprised if business lasts if service continues as is.

1  Thank mkak0

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Bit noisy and hard to hear your companions discussion but the food is good, service is a bit slow at times, bar staff tardy and food a bit slow too!

Would recommend it just for the paella and the dessert but lacks a little something!

Reviewed 2 April 2012

First of all, it took us a long time to be able to use our voucher. Everytime I rang I found the manager very difficult and was in fact very rude to me on the phone.

When we arrived there was hardly anyone in the restaurant.
The sangria was nice but not traditionally Spanish. I've travelled to spain more than once and its a lot more of a darker colour in Spain.

Tapas! Well I know Tapas means entree but in Spain Tapas are completely different. Usually a piece of French style bread with toppings. My husband shared Paella with our friend and they both said it didn't really taste of anything. I've cooked paella at home after we had it in Spain and he said mine was much better!
I had the linguine but also I cooked have easily cooked this at home

We got there at 6.30pm and we didnt get our churros until 9.30pm. In fact the waiter gave ours to a different table!

Toilet areas need a good clean! Check out the dust in the fan! yuck!

One more thing - I think the atemosphere could be improved with some more Spanish pictures/photos.

I'm not usually a fussy person but I won't be returning here and wouldn't recommend it.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

After reading negative reviews we nearly cancelled our reservation.We are glad we did not.On arrival we were warmly greeted by the owner,our Sangria was delivered straight away by the delightful waitress and it was delicious.The entree platter was well cooked and tasty,my steak was cooked to perfection and the chips were lovely,as was my husbands chorizo and spinach pasta,the dessert was freshly cooked,crisp and in fact tasted nicer than we have eaten in Spain. There were over 30 other diners ,most had vouchers as we did,a Spreets voucher.I asked another diner as we were leaving how her Paella was and was told it was delicious.
As for the rude comments about the very tall,slim and attractive waitress I think that came from a jealous fat and frumpy woman!
We would like to eat at Espana again very soon,in fact we will treat our family to a meal there.
I have noticed a lot of reviewers cannot spell or use proper grammar,what does that tell me ???

Reviewed 28 March 2012

This Spanish restaurant in Melbourne Street has a nice ambiance, and although the staff can be a little slow at times, it is worth the patience as the food is fantastic, the sangria delicious! Try the authentic churros with hot chocolate dipping sauce for dessert, divine!! Worth booking and arriving early to avoid delays during your meal, as having been a few times we have noticed that service gets slower as the place fills up with people. It's a great place to go and have some tapas and a drink too.