“Average, very slow service”
Review of Espana - CLOSED

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2012

First of all, it took us a long time to be able to use our voucher. Everytime I rang I found the manager very difficult and was in fact very rude to me on the phone.

When we arrived there was hardly anyone in the restaurant.
The sangria was nice but not traditionally Spanish. I've travelled to spain more than once and its a lot more of a darker colour in Spain.

Tapas! Well I know Tapas means entree but in Spain Tapas are completely different. Usually a piece of French style bread with toppings. My husband shared Paella with our friend and they both said it didn't really taste of anything. I've cooked paella at home after we had it in Spain and he said mine was much better!
I had the linguine but also I cooked have easily cooked this at home

We got there at 6.30pm and we didnt get our churros until 9.30pm. In fact the waiter gave ours to a different table!

Toilet areas need a good clean! Check out the dust in the fan! yuck!

One more thing - I think the atemosphere could be improved with some more Spanish pictures/photos.

I'm not usually a fussy person but I won't be returning here and wouldn't recommend it.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

After reading negative reviews we nearly cancelled our reservation.We are glad we did not.On arrival we were warmly greeted by the owner,our Sangria was delivered straight away by the delightful waitress and it was delicious.The entree platter was well cooked and tasty,my steak was cooked to perfection and the chips were lovely,as was my husbands chorizo and spinach pasta,the dessert was freshly cooked,crisp and in fact tasted nicer than we have eaten in Spain. There were over 30 other diners ,most had vouchers as we did,a Spreets voucher.I asked another diner as we were leaving how her Paella was and was told it was delicious.
As for the rude comments about the very tall,slim and attractive waitress I think that came from a jealous fat and frumpy woman!
We would like to eat at Espana again very soon,in fact we will treat our family to a meal there.
I have noticed a lot of reviewers cannot spell or use proper grammar,what does that tell me ???

Reviewed 28 March 2012

This Spanish restaurant in Melbourne Street has a nice ambiance, and although the staff can be a little slow at times, it is worth the patience as the food is fantastic, the sangria delicious! Try the authentic churros with hot chocolate dipping sauce for dessert, divine!! Worth booking and arriving early to avoid delays during your meal, as having been a few times we have noticed that service gets slower as the place fills up with people. It's a great place to go and have some tapas and a drink too.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Very ordinary,. Run like they just don't care. Poor food, poor value and arrogant distainful service. Waitresses have no training or knowledge of the industry they are in.

Go over the road to The Store, its a real restaurant.

1  Thank Mike D
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I have travelled a bit over the world, no major globetrotter, but Espana has to be the worst restaurant I have ever been to in all my eating experiences. The service, attitude of staff, food and ambience were all terrible, to the point where we left even though we had fully paid up front on a deal (Scoopon). The entre took 90mins to get to the table, mixed tapas not worth the wait - cold meatballs warm sauce, shaved chorizo slices 3, and then chicken things clearly cooked in a microwave as the skin wasn't cooked but meat was overlooked to the bone. We also waited 60mins for our first (& only drink), we did order our bottle of wine 3 times but they still didn't manage to get that to our table. We certainly weren't the only ones with this opinion as I would guess there was about another 6 table walkouts while we there, and there would have been more! The atmosphere was amusing and entertaining, but only because all the tables were talking to each other about the terrible everything of the place.

1  Thank BDN197