See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

I stayed in the Wright Lodge in March 2017 with my sister in a double room. My motto with staying anywhere is, I don't mind about the facilities as long as it's clean - this place was not clean. When we entered our room we were greeted by a duvet that was covered in stains so we quickly removed that. Luckily the top sheet, bottom sheet and pillow cases looked clean. I refused to put anything the the fridge because it was dirty and in every corner of the room was dirt and dust. We were also asked to sign something saying we agreed to pay a $1000 fine if the fire brigade were called out due to steam escaping from the bathroom and setting off the fire alarm. The room felt very closed in as there were no windows with curtains that could be opened and also an air duct/vent was hiding behind a curtain. The only redeeming feature of this accommodation was the free WiFi.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2016

At the last minute, I booked a double room with window and no view for 95 AUD at the Wright Lodge in Dec 2016.

In hindsight, I should have wary that while all other hotels/motels in Adelaide CBD had no vacancy, this place had availability for all its room types (no window, window with no view, and window).

When I arrived at 4:00PM, instead of a greeting I got an admonition: "You were supposed to come at 6:00PM!". It all went downhill from there. The Chinese receptionist didn't speak proper English, and the other Chinese woman who manned the pitiful pastry shop with stale cakes, where reception is located, was bossy and unaccommodating.

The room I was led to was dingy, very dirty and smelly. The bed linen was unwashed, and reeked. Fortunately I travel with my own bedsheet.
The towels were stained and almost threadbare. Here it's worth mentioning that the lodge threatens to make you pay 45 AUD for staining the already stained bath towels, a little less for the smaller towels, surely many times over the actual worth of those rags! (see attached photo of towel fines)

The room window was screwed shut, and it was extremely dirty. When I asked for another room, knowing fully well the lodge had plenty of available rooms, the manger surly turned me down.

Upon checking in, you are asked to sign that you'll pay AUD 1000 if you trigger the smoke alarm. The receptionist went to explain that I need to let the bath fan run longer if I take a shower because the smoke alarm is sensitive to steam as well. Why not fix the smoke alarm instead of fining "guests" 1000 AUD???

On walls and on 2 paper sheets printed on both sides on the desk there were postings of numerous rules and regulations, mostly warning of extra fees.

In the shower there were various hairs, including pubic hairs, proof that multiple guests left their DNA without the room service bothering to clean.

The door lock is flimsy, the type used for bathroom doors, not for entry doors. The deadbolt lock above it was rendered useless.
The bathroom tile was chipped, the room furniture seems to have been gathered from the garbage. And worst of all, the mattress was so hard and lumpy I woke up with back pain.

The microwave. toaster and newspaper several reviews here mention are communal, one of each floor, placed in the corridor. Luckily nobody used them while I was there, or the smoke alarm would have gone off to wake up an entire floor.

The corridor carpet was stained and disgusting (see photo).

I couldn't wait to checked out! This was by far the worst accommodation I encountered in Australia, despite the fact that it cost as much as the excellent hotels I stayed in Sydney CBD and Melbourne CBD (see my reviews).

This place doesn't meet the Western standards for the lowest hostel in facilities or service.

Room Tip: Find another place!
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
6  Thank pulcino3
Reviewed 26 November 2016

For the price you pay (between $80 to $100 for a standard double room, with tv & dvd player, fridge, balcony, etc, the Wriht Lodge is preety good value. The location is 1 block back from the main restaurant strip of Chinatown, as well as the central markets, and being a short 5 minute walk away - so plenty of eating and shopping options to suit all markets. The tram stop is a short 10 minute walk away, with free trams to rundle mall every 15 minutes.

Some people have left negativereviews about reception being unstaffed - We didn't find this an issue - in fact, it just made check-in and check-out that much faster.

There is a communal-use microwave and toaster, and a coin-op laundromat isabout 2 blocks down the road.

Overall very good value, and will definitely be staying here again next time we're back in Adelaide.

Only a few minor negatives: squeaky bed, steep stairs, and mozzies hanging around the stairwells.

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms mean less stairs to climb, especially if travelling with a lot of luggage.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew_Alin
Reviewed 26 August 2016

It is located near Chinatown, a 15 min walk to the centre, but just round the corner from a busy street with restaurants (no noise at the lodge, do not worry about that). Rooms are clean. There is wifi and a café where you can have a lovely breakfast if you want to. You feel quite at home.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gabriela T
Reviewed 23 May 2016

The customer service that The Wright Lodge provided was stellar. Nancy and Renee were so friendly, so helpful, and truly believe in "Service with a smile". I absolutely loved staying there, and will surely make a booking to stay there when I travel to Adelaide next. Thank you Renee and Nancy for making my stay a very memorable one :)

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business