“Stay at the YHA - don't stay here” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wright Lodge

The Wright Lodge
Ranked #8 of 15 Adelaide B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Stay at the YHA - don't stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

I read other people's reviews and chose to stay here, and unfortunately paid all up front before I saw the room. This place was not designed to be guest accomodation, and in my tiny room, they had turned a cupboard into a shower. You had to literally close the door behind you and this became one of the shower "walls". I have travelled much and have seen some very interesting things (Africa, South East Asia) but I wasn't expecting to find in an Australian accomodation, jam jar lids, lipstick stains smeared all over the bed, wrappers and contents of confectionary in the bedside table drawers, and a nail head on the floor. I complained to the main reception, but they shrugged and said 'sorry'. I went to Cole's and bought cleaning supplies myself and banned the 'housekeeper' from entering the room for the duration of the stay.

The good thing about this place is that it's quiet and that it has free Wi-fi. I left and stayed at the YHA (cleaner, more comfortable, bigger rooms) and paid for Wi-fi and it worked out much better than staying at Wright Lodge.

I don't know if the owners had changed since other people's reviews, but I was very disappointed with this place and would highly recommend to others NOT to stay here. I realise Adelaide accomodation is expensive, but there are better options e.g. YHA.

If you ARE staying here, I would ask the reception when you're booking (ring them) for the door lock code. The reception is patchily manned and I found myself locked out at 4pm on my first day, with nobody at the reception or otherwise. I went for a walk and as it was getting cold, I rang several numbers on my cellphone (paying overseas rates) until I found someone who could give me the door code. Once again, the 'sorry I forgot to tell you'... Also, please just take a look at the room before you pay them anything. I wish I had.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DownToEarth255060
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

It should not be reffered to as a hotel. Reception is basically a desk next to a take-away stand in a room next to an 'entrance'. The premises themselves used to be an office, so 'rooms' were created by putting thin partitions is the office, which leave a 2 cm spacing between the wall and a ceiling. You can hear people in the next room talking, snoring, having sex etc., as well as their fan and air-con. One evening we came back around 8 pm, and the general air-con (not the individual in the room, but the one around the whole ex-pffice space) waas on, and it was approx 16 C in the room. Obviously, the reception was long closed, and we couldn't find the way to turn it off. So we had to turn on our room's air-con to +30 C. The two of them working were so loud we couldn't sleep...
On the tiny positive side - we arrived few hours before the official check-in time and were lodged immediately; room had an ensuite; there's a fast and free WiFi; location is not bad - not the very centre, but 5 minutes walk from it and central bus station.

Room Tip: Book it in a different hotel;)