Hotels.com
Priceline
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
StayForLong
All reviews boat transfer snorkel tour beautiful boat poke bowl seafood buffet jet skiing outdoor shower king suite high cost set the tone staff were extremely friendly heated infinity pool night stay dinner options every staff member beautiful property world class
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 January 2021

Hayman is sold as one of Australia’s best and most luxurious resorts, especially being an InterContinental, I had high expectations and looking forward to a week of carefree bliss! But as other reviews have alluded to, I was disappointed and reminded why I prefer to travel overseas rather than my own backyard. I typically do not write reviews, however, given the high cost and representation of the hotel, I felt like I needed to share my experience. I’m reflecting on the trip a few weeks ago as colleagues and friends ask for my thoughts and feedback and, I’m sorry to tell you this, I simply cannot recommend Hayman.

Naturally, there were positives. I loved the easy greeting/airport lounge, helicopter and boat transfers, activities (especially jet skiing and speedboat!), beach activities and the awesome pool access room. However, it’s the negatives that really spoiled the trip for us.

Housekeeping
Basically non-existent. For the 6 nights, we felt our room was a non-serviced apartment as opposed to a luxury resort suite. Our ‘housekeeping’ indicator was on each day from breakfast (9am) so there was no obstruction to the room. Throughout the stay I called the front office numerous times for housekeeping and it was never attended to – we were constantly out of towels and the only saving grace was the evening turndown service who would deliver them with bottled water. Our bathroom was filthy and stunk, and drink glasses and towels piled up. Hayman failed – big time.

Decent to poor depending on the venue. Nothing was particularly memorable. We had 7 days to try it all and give second chances. Pacific had a great breakfast spread and met our expectations, however at night the ‘signature’ restaurant dropped the ball and it really was the quality of an average pub. Aqua was great for lunch and the food was always fresh. Bam Bam for lunch and dinner was disappointing, it was probably one of the worst Asian/Fusion Asian restaurants I have been to. Finally, Amici overall was the best choice for dinner and came closest to our expectations of Hayman.

Finally, the service of staff was hit and miss and generally lacked the attentiveness, focus, problem solving and even consistency of service when compared with other InterContinental properties I’ve stayed in. It was generally the type of service I would expect from a mediocre hotel, not a 5-star world class resort. Predominately this was with some of the wait/bar staff, housekeeping (as mentioned above) and front office team. Even after staying and noticing a billing issue and contacting them, it was easier just to begrudgingly accept it than question it.

I did convey these issues at checkout and I really felt like they didn’t care. It was all brushed off and attributed to being ‘short staffed’. At the very least, I would have expected a follow up call from management. I found that appalling given our total (transfers, F&B, activities inclusive) bill for two people was in excess of $14,000 for 6 nights. Overall, it’s really left a poor impression and sadly, I can’t recommend Hayman.

6  Thank 376evank
Arpad Romandy, Owner at InterContinental Hayman Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2021

Dear Evan

Thank you choosing Hayman Island Resort and for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback from your stay with us.

Whilst it is pleasing to read of some of the positives you have outlined, it is very disappointing to read the breakdown of negatives and the clear shortfalls you encountered during your holiday with us.

I would very much appreciate discussing these further with you - would you be so kind as to reach out to me on graham.smith@ihg.com

I humbly apologise on behalf of the team for the disappointing impression you have departed us with, and look forward to discussing further with you at a convenient time for you.

Reviewed 6 January 2021 via mobile

Every tiny detail about the hotel was amazing
One of the most beautiful holidays that i had specially during corona time and travel restrictions
Food very delicious
Staff very polite and welcoming
Warm pool 24 h and the beach water like paradise
You will never regret going there just the transportation is expensive otherwise amazing vacation

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear mariet1988

Thank you for choosing Hayman Island by Intercontinental, and for generously taking the time to provide your feedback from your stay with us.

It is a true joy to read such wonderful comments, and I am delighted that the facilities, dining & staff made such a excellent impression upon you.

The luxury launch vessels are akin to a limousine style service, whereby the vessels meet arriving and departing flights instead of set daily timings like a ferry. We pride ourselves on delivering the luxury Hayman experience from the moment our valued guests commence their journey to the island, and I am hence so happy to see that you found it to be such an amazing vacation!

We thank you for your loyalty to Hayman, and so hope you elect to return in the not too distant future - it will be our pleasure to serve you once again!

All the very best for 2021!

Reviewed 4 January 2021

Where do I start? We stayed at Hayman island for our babymoon in early December. We had heard exceptional things about Intercontinental hayman Island and having stayed at Intercontinental Resorts around the world - had high expectations. None of which were met.

Our total bill came to just under AU$10,000 for a five night stay (this granted included activities and a transfer) of which a large proportion was F&B. The F&B was extremely low grade and definitely not what you expect from an intercontinental - and when you are stuck on an island you expect there to be decent food. To summarise, think waiting 15-20 mins to order drinks at dinner, long periods in between courses and over-cooked food for an average price per main course of about $45-50. My partner was pregnant too, so we weren't drinking as much as we normally would. Inexperienced staff, which you can appreciate the pandemic probably had a huge impact on, however the attitude is what got us. It's one thing being new/under trained/inexperienced but having a poor attitude and literally questioning things like "why do you want that?" is another thing. I've not stayed in a hotel for a long time that had service as bad as this one.

There were a lot of other issues, all of which we sent in an email to the GM (twice) and have not heard back at all. That's probably the poorest part about it all, they literally do not care. We have sent two emails to the general manager detailing our stay and the elements in which we were disappointed with - but have still not heard back. We have also emailed IHG rewards, as we are platinum elite members and have not heard back. So, we did give them opportunity to rectify/acknowledge the situation before making our complaints on a public forum.

Bottom line, the physical elements of the resort are beautiful - but its not worth it, there are other resorts in the Whitsundays that are just as picturesque that are a fraction of the cost and better service and better food.

so basically, dont waste your time or your money. very very disappointing. If you want luxury stay at Qualia

Room tip: just dont book here
4  Thank CHS91
Arpad Romandy, Owner at InterContinental Hayman Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2021

Dear CHS91

Thank you for choosing Hayman Island Resort for your babymoon, and for taking the time to provide this feedback.

Feedback, both good and bad, is of utmost importance to us, so that we are aware of any guest issues which are experienced during holiday visits on our island resort. This hence highlights the positives that guests enjoy so that we are maximizing patrons' experiences at all times, and also providing us the opportunity to fine tune areas requiring attention for improvement.

I am deeply concerned to read that there were issues during your stay, and I therefore want to investigate further, as I will then discuss further with the various frontline management staff about your issues that you highlighted.

Can you please contact me directly and forward me the emails that you are referring to, as I have not received communications in this vain to the Executive Office, nor have team members contacted me to try reach the General Manager on your behalf. Feedback with the shortfalls in service that you are outlining are at all times forwarded to myself and the Resort Manager & General Manager, and I therefore need to ascertain where these emails have been sent to then delve into the matters and address accordingly.

I would immediately contact you but based on the privacy of Trip Advisor I am unable to ascertain your reservation details/name.

Please send through to graham.smith@ihg.com and I will contact you to discuss further at a convenient time for you.

Reviewed 23 December 2020

The resort, from its facilities to its rooms, is stunningly beautiful. Serene, expansive and gorgeous. Unfortunately, the service was not at the same level. Not once was a drinks order for our group delivered first time correctly. Room service breakfast has two options. So how hard is it to bring the order in full instead of missing half of it? I was surprised a buffet was still the breakfast standard in these COVID times. And further surprised that gym users were not asked/expected to clean down equipment before and after use. We also had the really poor experience of our registration details not being entered in the hotels system, which meant some possibly serious info in relation to COVID restriction changes did not reach us. This ultimately influenced us to shorten our stay

Room tip: Book in the pool wing instead of the lagoon wing
Date of stay: December 2020
Arpad Romandy, Owner at InterContinental Hayman Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2020

Dear Leanne H

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback from your recent stay with us at Hayman Island Resort by Intercontinental.

I am terribly apologetic to read that there were clearly shortfalls in service experienced throughout your stay, and that it in turn influenced you to shorten your holiday in conjunction with the complications of Covid.

The issues you highlight with respect to the food and beverage have been immediately sent to the Director of this department - I humbly apologise that we have failed to make a positive lasting impression in this regard during your holiday with us.

I have reaffirmed with the gym staff that all cleaning equipment and sanitizing materials, as well as signage, is present throughout the gym. Guests are requested to please wipe down the equipment - with it being a 24/7 access facility however for our valued guests, we aren't able to supervise this on every occasion, and hence rely on the gym users to please carry out the cleaning when utilized.

I am very pleased that the setting of the island was so to your liking, but am disappointed that we have not facilitated the creation of cherished memories to which we strive towards. It is my sincere hope that you would afford us another opportunity in the future, to demonstrate that the unsatisfactory elements of your stay were an exception.

Wishing you a very happy new year!

Executive Assistant to Arpad Romandy, General Manager

Reviewed 21 December 2020 via mobile

I’m currently a guest for 4 nights. Normally I travel globally for in excess of half the year for work and pleasure, this year for obvious reasons I’m staying local.

Can’t fault a thing, from the welcome at HI airport, the one hour trip to Hayman on a perfectly adequate vessel with food and alcohol included, to the resort welcome and tour by Lisa the F&B Manager.

Dinner at Pacific last night and the meal arrived in what seemed like an instant from ordering and the salmon was cooked perfectly. The service was superb.

This morning at breakfast I saw the chef (I think he was Nixx, apologies if I spelled your name incorrectly) asked if he could make fresh pancakes - despite there already being some in the warmer. The request was met without any grimace and even delivered personally to the guests table.

I’d pre booked a massage (thanks Ben) at the spa, realising that it would be busy, and it was heavenly. Thanks to Mario and the team at the day spa. A great way to start the day.

Service by the pool at Aqua was prompt and friendly.

All in all given the current nature of catering for guests in a Covid environment with last minute cancellations and uncertainty the team are performing remarkably well.

The lagoon view room is spacious, equivalent if not better than some Six Senses resorts around the world, and housekeeping is spot on.

Congratulations to the entire team at Hayman Island. I’d certainly recommend the resort to many of my international friends.

Great job!

1  Thank Missfussytraveller

Dear Missfussytraveller

What a review! You have made my day to read such wonderful and inspiring comments from your recent stay with us at Hayman Island Resort!

On behalf of the whole team, and in particular the individuals you have so kindly mentioned in your review, we thank you immensely for your patronage to our island resort paradise, and for highlighting the various elements that exemplify our promise of True Hospitality for our valued guests.

We so hope you elect to return in the not too distant future, and hopefully with all your friends as well! It would be our pleasure to welcome you back home to Hayman Island by Intercontinental, and serve you once again.

Happy New Year from us all!

Executive Assistant to Arpad Romandy, General Manager