“relaxing atmosphere.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Sydney, Australia
“relaxing atmosphere.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Palm Bungalows two weeks ago and absolutely loved our stay. We were lucky enough to have amazing weather the whole time there, despite the weather forecast. Everything was walking distance from our bungalow, the beach, Sails Restaurant, souvenir shop etc. We were in one of the bungalows that has not been renovated. Although it was very spacious, nicely decorated, the cleaning wasn't very good. Under the bed was very dusty, the bathroom had stains on the wall and the coffee cups had coffee rings from not being cleaned properly.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed staying at the palm bungalows, the staff were great and the bungalow is private and have a very relaxing atmosphere, loved the hammock. I just think they need to put more effort into the cleaning standards.

You'll definitely love Hamilton Island.

3 Thank misskaf
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Palm Bungalows, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear misskaf,

I’m pleased that you loved your stay in one of our Palm Bungalows. Palm Bungalows are definitely one of the most popular options on the island and lying in your hammock in the afternoon sun, listening to the birds in the trees around you is priceless.
I apologise that the cleaning standards weren’t high enough during your stay. Cleanliness and guest comfort is extremely important to us and I’m sorry that your bungalow didn’t reflect that.
We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Kind Regards,
Matt Boileau
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is my second night staying at the palm bungalows, and while my initial reaction to the room was "wow, this is great" I am very disappointed by the cleanliness of the room, I don't make a habit of leaving negative feedback and I wouldn't not recommend it- the room itself is spacious and well decorated, I just personally wouldn't stay here again, honestly, I have stayed in $30 rooms in third world countries with better hygiene, firstly there was hair all over the bathroom floor, the toilet had not been cleaned very well, dust in every corner, there was a candy wrapper right near the bed in plain sight, in 2 nights I have had 5 lizards walking on the walls/ roof, 2 cockroaches and ants crawling all over the toilet, kitchenette and vanity. I could handle the lizards or the ants as it is among nature but the cockroaches is just too much.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank KnDtravellers
Umina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I booked the Palm Bungalows not really knowing what to expect. I was really looking for a place where my wife and I could relax and simply do nothing. Wow. Talk about hitting the jackpot!

The bungalow itself is very basic, yet clean & in a pleasant location. A/C works perfectly and the large ceiling fan really helped. The hamock on the front veranda got a lot of use!

Most vehicles are electric operated golf-buggies, so there is little noise apart from the birds!

Wallabies feeding outside on the lawn in the evening, Galah's all over the place! Perfect.

There were a couple of problems with the bungalow itself, but within a short time the handyman had been out and fixed them.

Housekeeping was very friendly and willing to give us anything we asked for - although could turn up at any time of day.

The bungalow we stayed in (26) was near to the road but we still didnt hear any noise. It also meant that walking over to the Marina was easy(ish). It must be remembered that Hamilton Island is quite hilly - and even the walk from the main resort over to the Marina can have you puffed out.

If you are looking for wild excitement and action maybe this isnt the place for you. But if you are looking to relax with the one you love in a perfect location, then this is the place!

Toukley, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

This was our first trip to Hamilton Island. We were told on arrival at the marina that we had been given an upgrade from our Premium Palm Bungalow to a Coral Sea View room in the Reef view Hotel due to over booking. We accepted the first night in the Hotel but requested the stay the second night in the Bungalows.
They are two very different styles of accomodation. Hotel rooms are bigger and offer lovely views from the balcony. We were on the 8th floor. But there can be noise from adjoining rooms. They only have a fridge with no plates or cutlery. We were in room 813 and we found the mattress hard and uncomfortable.
We spent our second night in Bungalow no.32 and this was more to our style. More comfortable bedding and despite not having a view the Bungalows offer a kitchenette with crockery and cutlery which will allow you to purchase your own foods,. Also they are more peaceful and the hammock on the porch is a nice way to spend the afternoon relaxing with a quiet drink.
So depending on your getaway I hope this helps

Room Tip: See above review
4 Thank matho67
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Palm Bungalows, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Hi matho67,

I was very interested to read your balanced and thoughtful feedback and delighted that you had such a good experience in your Palm Bungalow. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with your assessment of the two different types of accommodation that you tried. Reef View Hotel is our most popular option and offers beautiful views of the ocean, a 35 metre swimming pool, room service and free Wi-Fi hotspots. Its central location also means that it is just a short stroll to most activities on Hamilton Island. As you said, Palm Bungalows offers a more private and peaceful option and is perfect for visitors looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life and relax in their own outdoor hammock.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again sometime soon.

Yours,

Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

We booked the Palm Bungalows via WOTIF's website, having seen the newly refurbished layout in the photos. When we arrived at the island we were told by the concierge at the airport we'd been 'upgraded' to the Reef Hotel (a 1980s, Russian housing-style monstrosity). We checked in and again told we'd been given an upgrade on the 9th floor. When I asked what the benefit was the desk assistant said that the only difference was that the bungalow had a microwave but if we wanted one we could probably get on in the reef hotel room. I did a quick check on Trip Advisor and back on Wotif and saw that the Reef Hotel is inferior and actually at that time was $50 a night cheaper. So much for the upgrade. I insisted we were given the bungalow and thank god I did. The room is very nice and things like a hammock on the porch, wallabies and possums on the grass opposite and short walk to the pool and beach make it infinitly more appealing.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Colin B
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Palm Bungalows, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Hi Colin B,

Thanks very much for your review. I’m happy to hear that you were pleased with your stay in one of our Palm Bungalows and had an opportunity to get up close with our native wildlife. On the rare occasion when we have availability in Coral Sea View Rooms at the Reef View Hotel we like to reward our guests with an upgrade as a token of our appreciation that they have chosen to holiday on Hamilton Island. Our Coral Sea View rooms are always popular due to the spacious rooms and amazing views of the Coral Sea from the balcony. The Reef View Hotel is a 4 star hotel and a more expensive option than the Palm Bungalows so the upgrade offered to you was bonafide.
I apologise if this wasn’t communicated to you clearly enough and you felt that the upgrade was being forced on you. However, I’m glad that you were delighted with the Palm Bungalows and that you were able to experience the privacy of a garden cabin amongst our beautiful flora and fauna.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,263 reviews

Been to Palm Bungalows? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK