“Awesomely Average”

Daydream Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Six months ago I booked my April stay at Daydream Island Resort & Spa for a friends wedding, and upon boarding the catamaran from Hamilton Island Airport was immediately blown away by the stunning surroundings. A truly spectacular ride, it made me look forward to relaxing on Daydream Island. This didn't manage to make up for the shock my wallet felt when the resort informed me how much the catamaran transfers were.

Efficiently, you are checked in to your room at the airport, receiving your room key and resort information before arriving at the hotel. However, upon arriving at the hotel you are greeted by staff who guide you into a holding room where you wait, eventually, for a 'tour/intro' to the resort.

After travelling for most of the day I really wanted to get to my room and settle in (as you do). I found the duration of the introduction a little long, and became frustrated - however we were soon released to make our way to our rooms.

I knew the stay wouldn't come cheap, so I booked the cheapest room available, the Garden Room. I tried to justify the exorbitent cost of the room by understanding it was on an island resort, in a great location - but it was simply disappointing (and upon meeting several other guests on the resort I soon found out that I had paid double the price they had - and was left absolutely stunned).

That night I met with others there for the wedding, and selected the 'International' themed buffet dinner. Unbeknownst to me at the time, this cost $47 which definitely threw me back on checkout. After a few more discussions with other guests over dinner, it was even more apparent that even the rate I had paid for my catamaran transfers were more which left yet another bad taste in my mouth after finding out about my room rate earlier.

Nevertheless, I was there for one of my best mates weddings and chose to keep a positive mind. The coffee from Coffee Bean Cafe was a welcomed relief, as was the daily breakfast buffet. Although at $4 a pop - it was expensive coffee, but the lovely lady that staffed the cafe on each day made up for it.

To touch on the wedding, Lovers Cove is a stunning location. After the ceremony, we headed back to the lobby for a drink where I had three beers that practically set me back the cost of a carton! Slightly buzzed, we headed back to Lovers Cove for the reception as it had now been setup to dine at - breathtaking sunset.

After a great night celebrating my friends new lives together, I walked the island. Great facilities on the south end including shops, a bakery, night time outdoor cinema, and a pool with amazing views. Unsure what time checkout was, and knowing I was booked on the (expensive, yet different in price) catamaran at 12pm, I checked with reception and was informed I had to check out now (approaching 10am). I queried whether I could check out a little later, and was informed that it would cost me $20 per hour. After advising that wasn't necessary, I sought out whether there was somewhere to store my bags for the two hours I would be roomless - I was informed no.

So I made my way to the pool bar for one last drink, bag in hand, before my catamaran back to the airport. Great pool, although nothing would have been better than swimming at the beaches surrounding the island - which you can't do due to Irukandji jellyfish.

Overall, a pretty average experience which I found incredibly expensive. My experience as a guest could have been better, but I understand every customer interaction is different. I still remain disappointed that I paid a far (extremely far) higher rate than other guests staying in superior rooms, and for this reason I don't think I'll be returning or recommending the resort anytime soon.

Fantastic location though. If you have the money and don't mind staying in an average 80's decor hotel - then this is for you. Definitely paying for location here, and you sure do get your moneys worth. Be prepared to pay the price for all extra's though, like airport/ferry transfers, meals and drinks.

Room Tip: Definitely choose an ocean view room, those that face east I found had the best views. Garden rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank droods
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Daydream Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed 19 April 2012

My husband and I have travelled to Daydream Island twice now - both times for weddings (inlcuding our own in 2009!!!). Both times we had large groups with us and the kids and families ALL loved it so much. The kids had an absolute ball (and for our wedding we had about 17 kids come - from babies to 16yrs old. It's such a great place to celebrate a wedding as it doesn't just go for 7 hours, it feels like a whole weekend!!! we made this our Honeymoon as well and enjoyed every day :)

Rooms: we've stayed in the Garden Balcony Room and my husband surprised me and he secretly booked one of the Daydream Suites which are amazing!!!! (We were lucky enough to have the Suite overlooking Sunlovers Terrace (where we had our reception) and the sunsets and views looking out over Lovers Cove are unbelievable!!!!. The views at the bottom end of the Island are also beautiful and the Glass Chapel - no words can describe it!!!, however it does get quite warm when the sun is shining, so dress lightly.

Food/Restaurants: Their signature restaurant (Mermaids) is a little expensive, I've never eaten (in) their as it's also not open all the time in quiet times. I have eaten from their takaway menu available lunch and dinner and can recommend their Pizza's - yummm.....

The Fish Bowl is where we all mainly ate, which is similar to going to a pub/club and ordering a counter meal - I had no problems with that and quite enjoyed all the meals I had there.

The buffet restaurant for dinner is a little pricey for kids i think, and the second time around, the breakfast buffet wasn't as good, but it's not bad and has a great variety (you can also ask the chef to make pancakes if he hasn't put them out!)

Bars - well, this is one the reason why you should go to Daydream - thier cocktails are Awesome!!!! And the guys will also love them. A couple of the guys that were with us are big beer drinkers and I didn't see them with a beer in their hand until boarding back on the Ferry!!! The whole time they were on the Island they walked around with cocktails - and their not too expensive at all.

Overall Daydream is a holiday if you don't want the population like Hamilton Island (we've been there too, but stayed at the Adults Only Beach Club). It's a great place to celebrate family holidays/weddings/Birthdays etc with large groups of people as it's big enough to do your own think, but small enough to enjoy your holiday with everyone you're travelling with (unlike Hamilton which is more of a city on an Island).

One final Tip - if you have young kids - Buy a loaf of bread from the bakery or get some from the buffet at breakfast, get the little packs of butter, vegemite, honey, slices of cheese from breakfast and there's lunch for the kids if you're not going on any tours that day.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrea W
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Nice place to stay if you intend on relaxing and not doing much. If you go during times when it is not busy there are limited options of places to eat. While were there in March it was very quiet with not very many patrons, there was one restaurant open at any one night and a takeaway option in the evenings, if you prefer variety you may enjoy your stay during peak season when possibly the resort will open up further eating options. Buffet meals in the evening were standard, the breakfast buffets were excellent for variety and takeaway options during the evening were good value and tasty. Staff were attentive and helpful throughout the island, especially the ladies in the restaurant. Resort rooms are older but clean and comfortable. Nice Spa to visit for treatments. Pools are very clean, pool lady working hard keeping it looking nice. Great snorkeling experience down at Lovers cove. Staff great with organizing pool activities, including water polo and dive gear practice. Overall, a nice place to stay and relax if you can get a good deal on rooms have money to spend.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank FamilyQld
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary on DDI. We had a wonderful time, soaking up the sunshine poolside. We took the rainforest walk, had quiet time in a hammock ,cocktails in the pool bar, lovely dinners at Mermaids. We were very happy with the hamper filled with food and a bottle of wine. We chose to eat watching the sunset on the pier all alone. It was fantastic. We received congratulations from a wonderful staff member who had provided gift from staff delivered to our room. We were so impressed with how friendly and helpful all the staff were. We supported our meals having brought a few food items with us and this worked out perfectly as the room has a good size bar fridge and they have tea and coffee in the room. We were also pleased with other amenities in the room, All over a wonderful memory and one we hope to repeat. Thankyou DDI

Room Tip: Ocean balcony room has great view and quiet location. Choose the rainforest wing, level two.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lyn W
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Went there for my sisters wedding, staff were lovely although thought it was alittle expensive for two people to stay not somewhere to take childern.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen S
DaydreamIsland, General Manager at Daydream Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Daydream Island Resort and Spa. I was very surprised that you felt that Daydream is somewhere not to bring children.

We have a great activities centre catering for children of all ages: Skippers Club.

We also offer a range of activities that children love, not the least of which is our 19 hole mini golf children’s playground, swimming pools, the outdoor movie screen and children simply can’t get enough of the Living Reef.

We offer great packages for families, include children eating free at breakfast.

Again I thank you for your feedback I do hope that you consider a return visit to the island.

Kind Regards

11.4 km away
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#5 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK