All reviews buffet breakfast great location bar fridge an overnight stay off street parking
Reviewed 29 March 2018

Booked on booking.com for Saturday night but unfortunately my ferry got cancelled. Called up to cancel and it was no problem for them to cancel my room. Have informed them that I will hopefully traveled on Sunday and they say no problem. Turned up and had a nice room ground floor as I had a few luggage. Had to go to the bar as the front reception was closed. The room needs a makeover but otherwise was fine for an overnight stay. Closed to lots of restaurant and amenities.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2018

Large room with air-conditioning, fridge, tea/coffee, television, toilet and shower. It was clean. Facilities are old but adequate for an overnight stay - some mould obvious. Very close to a large range of restaurants. Off-street parking available and close to rooms. Smorgasbord breakfast for $16.95 was great value.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the Hotel Allen on my way through Townsville. It was good value at $60 for the night.

The hotel itself is a pub with pokies but wasn't too noisy. It's close to the beach and plenty of restaurants and bars in the centre of town.

Buffet breakfast in the morning was good and only $14.95.

Overall, I was pleased with my stay.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Mary G
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Oh dear. This is like a halfway house. I can stay in places that are a bit dirty, don't have the latest mod cons and have a faint left over smell to them but I cannot stay in places where I feel unsafe or if there is noise that continues all night long. For the first night it was quiet, the bed comfortable and I thought, ok a bit shabby but I can deal with it. The 2nd and 3rd nights the airconditioning for the bistro downstairs was left on all night, it was like a aircraft revving up and about to take off right outside my room. There are no phones in the room to call reception or any other part of the hotel. To go downstairs to find someone means you would be wandering around a pub as the reception desk closes at 8pm. The 4th night was the highlight. There are no smoking signs everywhere and a sign in the rooms that warns of a penalty if you are caught smoking. Not sure how this is enforced but the guy 2 doors down from me who looked like a white trash drug addict pretty much smoked all day and all night and yelled constantly about something. From midnight until 3am people were roving up and down the hallway trying the door handles, there was also a family dispute in another room further down the hall. The entrance to the motel is open to the street so really anyone can just wander in and upstairs to where the accommodation is. At 3am I moved the mini fridge against the door to my room thinking if someone did try and was successful at getting in at least I would have prior warning. I was then able to sleep. I had one more night left in my booking but just left and stayed elsewhere. I give Hotel Allen 1 star because they gave me a refund for that last night without me even having to ask for it. If they had phones in the room I would have called down to reception or the night watchperson to come and get rid of whoever it was making the noise and trying the handles. Do not stay here. Location is great but if you are concerned about your safety go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

$75 for triple room with dbl & single bed. Very comfortable sleep with flat screen tv, bar fridge, coffee, tea milk. Good hot Shower. Room comfortable with pool in courtyard. Buffet Breakfast excellent selection of hot and cold. $14.95 Kids $9.95. Will recommend based on location, comfortable room (old style that needs some TLC and extra cleaning in rooms) and great breakfast. (Pub, pokies and restaurant on hotel site very good). Will stay again for value for money.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family