“Unfriendly staff!”

Backpackers In Paradise
“Unfriendly staff!”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Not very clean. They charged my card before letting me know. Unfriendly staff!

• Stayed December 2011
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, 18 December 2011
Hi Jlsandoval,
My name is Markus i am the manager at Backpackers In Paradise. I would firstly like to appologise about any staff member who did not make you feel welcome at our hostel this is not behaviour i will tolerate from any staff member if you could please email me @ manager@backpackersinparadise.com and let me know more so i can fix this problem.
Our hostel is cleaned daily and again i would like to appologise if your were not happy with the standard of cleaning again if you could email me and elaborate more i can again fix the problem.
Our website policy is Upon confirmation of your booking the first nights accommodation will be charged to your credit card. A booking fee of one nights accommodation will be charged if you are unable to give us 24hours notice of cancellation. This is standard with all bookings made.
I look forward to a email from you so i can address any of your concerns.

Kind Regards
Markus Warren
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Living conditions: The showers were old and grimy, and one of the shower heads kept falling so that you'd have to hold it up as you shower. Provided with lots of bed sheets, no blankets.. and with cold A/C, we'd wake up shivering. Noted cockroach sightings, we had to kill about 6 cockroaches across our two rooms. The pool is shallow and sticky feeling, one of our girls got serious cuts and bruises from jumping into it.

Service: Incompetent reception girl (blonde hair) who didn't have the basic math skills to check in a group of 12 of us. She was overwhelmed with the difficulty and ended up crying so that the manager had to resolve the issue. Our check-in was already delayed because the rooms weren't ready for us, and it was further frustrating to have to deal with the reception girl when we just really wanted to get into our rooms.

Party: The best part about the backpackers was the bartender who was extremely friendly and courteous and really made you feel welcome and a part of this place. He is by far the only perfect thing about this place, and he was what made the stay worthwhile. The cheap drinks easily prepared you for a good night out, and they hook you up with free entry into a club nearby every night. It is really recommended to go on the Bar Crawl Big Night Out on Wednesdays and Saturdays--the service was extremely efficient with gathering everyone and leading them from each club to the next. The music was amazing at all clubs and free drinks vouchers kept you at a steady high the whole time.

Overall, if you can put up with the lower than average living conditions, the partying aspect makes it fairly worth it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Hi Joni c
My name is Markus and i am the manager who helped check you all in.
Firstly i would like to appologise for the mix up when you all checked in.
The receptionist who was working at the time was in training & it was her first solo shift, your booking was her first big group booking.
The problem was when you all checked in as a group there was misundersatnding as there were two bookings that you had made under two different names, which nobody had seemed to have mentioned upon check in.
There was also a few cancellations so the payment had to be adjusted for your booking which is were the receptions got confused.
Upon reading your review i have now replaced the shower head in your bathroom.
If I had been made aware of this as soon as the problem was found I would have changed it straight away for you but as I was not made aware of the problem while you were here I could not fix it for you.
As a backpackers we provide everyone with new bed linen and we have blankets for everyone if requested at a $10 deposit.
We have had new a/c units fitted in our rooms and they are all on a timmer so they will shut off at 11pm and keep all the rooms at a comfortable temperature.
I'm not sure why your a/c did not turn off & i will look into it but again I was not made aware of this problem.
Our pool is cleaned and the water is tested daily by myself and is used by all our guest.
While your were in house the pool had been treated of salt which makes the pool go cloudy for a few hours but this was done late in the afternoon while no one was swimming.
I am glad to hear you were all looked after by Dave our bar man and you enjoyed our bar and our nights out.
Please check our facebook page as i uploaded photos of your group on there.
Again I can only apologise but with out being informed by the problems I am unable to fix or act on them.
Kind Regards
tel aviv
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I've stayed at this hostel during my visit in surfers paradise few months ago, got there because of the name and discovered the worst backpacker on my 6-month trip... the A/C doesn't work, the toilet was flooded (I wish I had the photos of that), bad smell everywhere and the general impression was terrible. if there was less than one green point that would be my grade...

there are much better places in surfers paradise... skip this one!!!

excellent comments down that page?! it must be the owners best friends or something!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Hi Tom my name is Markus and i am the manager @ backpackers in paradise i am shocked to see this review as myself and my team work very hard to keep our backpackers at a high standard all of our aircon rooms have had brand new units fitted 4 months ago and we have had no complaints about aircon since execpt the rooms are to cold at times. I am extreamly sorry about the flooded toilet but agian in the 5 months i have been managing backpackers in paradise this i the first time i have had this complaint. I am not sure were you were getting a bad smell from as all are rooms are cleaned daily as well as the whole hostel and again this is the first i have ever had this complaint . I am extreamly shocked to see you thort our hostel was the worst you have stayed in as since taking over i have spent a lot of time on making sure all our rooms are kept to a high standard and if you would have made your complaint aware to me while you were staying with us im sure i could have fixed any of the problems you had.

Kind regards
Backpackers in paradise
Banff
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Despite booking a (private double) room online 36 hours before we were due to arrive, I did not actually stay at this hostel. That's because we were informed when we arrived that although they had our information, there were no rooms available and they could not accommodate us.
The desk person confirmed our email address and said something along the lines that all they recieve is that and our name, but I booked directly off the website and provided my credit card number and got a confirmation number when I finished the booking, so I'm left quite confused:
1. If all they got was my name and email, why couldn't they email to say there were no rooms available (instead of being left w/o a place to stay upon arrival) ?
2. If booking directly from their website, what is the point of providing other information such as phone number and credit card details if all they get is a name and email address? Not to mention they provided a confirmation number?
I did not ask the receptionist at the hostel these questions directly as I didn't have confidence she could truthfully answer these questions. I have been a hotel manager for the past 4 years and am familiar with overbookings, but I have never, ever allowed a guest to arrive and simply deny them a room they booked and was confirmed. This is terribly shoddy business practice with no excuse and if you do decide to stay here, be sure to confirm over the phone (with employee name) or recieve email confirmation.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, 12 November 2011
Hi BanffyBanff
My name is Markus im the manager at Backpackers In Paradise i would firstly like to apologise for the mix up with your booking i have been managing the backpackers for 4 months now and i can honestly say i have not had this problem before. Can you please email me your name so i can chase up this booking and see what happened my email address is manager@backpackersinparadise.com again i am extremely sorry and hope that if you come back to the gold coast you would consider staying with us and i will personally make sure that you get looked after.

Kind regards
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Arrived hungover and the first things we saw in our 20 bed dorm was a pile of puke outside and a totally blocked and disgusting toilet... on three hours sleep this isn't what you want to see!

The only reason I'm giving this hostel two stars instead of one is because it was cheaper than some other places I stayed in - I think it was 22 dollars a night which is ok for Surfers.

Apart from the above the hostel was below average but not terrible - pretty manky beds, but the showers were ok. Kitchen seemed a bit small but I think it had everything necessary.

I wouldn't stay here again, I would try and find a similiarly priced hostel with much better quality rooms and more of a social scene.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Hi Sofiams91,
My name is Markus and I am the new manager of Backpackers in Paradise.
I would like to apologise for what you saw at our hostel.
I have been managing Backpackers in Paradise for 2 months now and since taking on the hostel I have been extremely busy getting the hostel to a high standard so I am shocked to see this review.
Every room in the hostel is cleaned daily from top to bottom.
Our 20 bed dorm is detailed daily along with all the other rooms though it's not until about midday that the cleaners get up there so if you had checked in early in the morning it wouldn't have been cleaned until later on.
I am in all week all day but Fridays and neither I or my receptionist had any complaints from our 20 bed dorm.
If we get anyone that comes to complain I personally ensure what ever the problem is it is delt with immediately.
I am extremely sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay and if you ever decide to come back to Surfers Paradise please contact me at manager@backpackersinparadise.com and I will make sure you have a great stay and leave with a different out look on Backpackers in Pradise.
Regards