“Amazing water park, but it might not suit everyone's needs”

Paradise Resort Gold Coast
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed for two nights and even though it rained throughout our stay we made good use of the water park and had a good time. The food and drinks were priced well for a resort and we enjoyed dining in the bistro (the warm lamb salad was a winner). There's bottle shops close by and lots of parents save money buy BYO to their rooms. We had to pay $244 per night, as we have three kids and even though one is in a cot we were not able to use smaller rooms (they said it was fir OH&S reasons). Due to the cost for the family rooms being $100 more than the other options, we chose to stay for only the two nights and stayed seven nights in broadbeach in a nice spacious self-contained apartment for $99 per night. Throughout our stay on the Gold Coast we made use of public transport which was great. Paradise resort has a bus stop right outside the front which goes to the airport, themeparks, Australia Fair and Aus Fair. If you were going to themeparks from Paradise Resort, I would recommend paying extra for the Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle, unless you planned on leaving after 11am. This is because the buses fill up in the stops before Paradise Resort. We did not go to themeparks from Paradise Resort and I think it would be too much for little kids to do themeparks, make use of the resort's waterpark and kids club in one day. When you stay at Paradise Resort you don't need to take the kids anywhere as the waterpark is fantastic. It was a lot busier on the Sat, so I would go mid week if I had the choice.

Check-in was a problem for us, as I had booked on the phone and been told that one night's accom would be taken from my credit card and that they would call me back if there was a problem. I never received another phone call and was sent an email confirming the booking, so I presumed the payment was taken from my account. The staff member on check-in informed me that no payment was recorded and that I would need to show proof. This entailed us having to get out the laptop and search through our accounts for the payment, whilst trying to supervise our 3 little boys. We realised no payment had been made, but it would have been great to have been told that no payment was taken prior to check-in to avoid the wait. We were also told that we had been upgraded to a pool room, but when we arrived at our room we discovered that we were facing the street. By this time we could not be bothered to return to reception and get another key.

We chose family room over the updated bunks rooms, as it was a lot bigger. I personally thought the room was great, the balcony's looked a bit tired but having a separate kids room was fantastic. The cleaning staff were really nice and thorough too. BTW there's no cleaning on Sunday to give you a sleep in (like that's ever going to happen with kids in toe).

KIDS CLUB
The older kids club facilities are huge and have a lot of equipment and toys. However, there is very little natural light and for some unknown reason the lights are kept extremely dimmed, giving it a dungeon like feel. Some kids would love this but it wasn't our 4 year olds cup of tea. He did a night and a day session and both times he was telling staff he wanted to leave prior to the end of the session. Moving the facility to somewhere with more natural light would cost a lot, but it wouldn't hurt to turn the lighting up to make the younger kids more comfortable. My son also didn't like the food, which is surprising as he's not a fussy eater and the rest of the food we had at the resort was fine.

The third session we put our 4 year old into the younger kids club with our 1 and 2 year old, which he preferred. The younger kids club is much smaller but is more well lit and has a nicer feel. The staff were fantastic but we couldn't understand why they put a movie/TV on in everyone of the sessions our kids went in. We've never heard of any childcare facility using the TV as part of a routine and given that the government recommends that children under the age of 2 do not watch TV, we were really surprised that the 0-2 year old room used it so much. I would have expected staff to be reading a book or doing craft activities if they wanted to have quiet time with the kids. We weren't that bothered when they were watching a movie during the Friday night session, as that's a pretty normal treat for kids, but having them watch TV in the middle of the afternoon everyday seems really wrong to me.

On check-out day you can put your kids into kids club which was a lifesaver for us, as we had an evening flight and it was raining. Check-out costs $20 per hour up to 3pm, when you're charged full rate. Given that it rained the entire time we were there it would have been nice to be offered a later check-out but we weren't willing to pay $20 per hour. Instead we caught the bus up to Aust Fair and watched a movie which was great. In the afternoon we picked up the kids from kids club and took them to the waterpark. Even though it was raining everyone who got in the pool/spa/slides etc was having a great time. The rain only seemed to bother the parents trying to stay dry under the umbrellas. If you stay beyond checkout there is a unisex shower/toilet facility which was great, though a tad uncomfortable with two families in one change room (in terms of modesty).

Overall I think the resort was good but there should be different payment options, so that families who don't want to use kids club everyday don't have to pay as much. I probably wouldn't stay here if I wanted to spend a lot of time at the theme parks, as there are cheaper options that are self contained, with better cooking and washing facilities. Saying that though, we are considering planning another stay to paradise resort with the extended family. Hopefully with more cousins in toe, our eldest boys may be willing to stay in the older kids kids club. I really hope they consider making that kids club a bit lighter. The best things about Paradise Resort is the water park, the location and the option of using the kids club (if your kids are happy to use it).

Room Tip: If you're not sure that your kids will like kids club take them into a parent session before you...
Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Fiona2008
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Fiona2008,
Thank you for takin the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
It was great to read that overall you enjoyed your stay along with the Waterpark, creche, and dining experiences.
We are sincerely sorry for the confusion on check in were you believed you had paid a deposit and have met with those concerned to ensure the same mistake does not occur again with future guests.
We hope to see you all again one day in the near future.
Kind regards
David & The Team

Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed for two nights in a King bunk house pool view room (2adults and 3kids aged 8,6,3). Pillows weren't the best, but the kids liked the themed beds. Water park was great for the kids, however because the junior (under five) and senior parks are some distance apart it is impossible to supervise your kids on both parks unless you either let the older kids go unsupervised (which it seemed a lot of parents did) or have dad supervise one and mum the other. I imagine it would be far to busy in school holidays to enjoy, as we were there on a very wet weekend and the pool was quite busy. My biggest disappointment was the kids club. The underwater themed room has quite dark lighting, and for kids who don't like the dark it is not too inviting. the whole kids club is not well it. All of the literature states that "you will be contacted immediately if you child becomes distressed". this is not true. My 3year old was in tears on and off the whole time she was there. My other kids found it a bit boring as they had to sit around and wait until it was their turn to paint and it sounds like they playes a few exclusion games similar to musical chairs and when the kids got out they just had to sit there. After about 3hrs, and many many requests by my kids to go home from kids club, the staff rang and informed me that they were ready to go home. when i asked how they went, the staff told me "yeah, they have been fine, they are just ready to go home." no mention that two of them had been upset. When i complained at reception, i was told that they do try and settle the kids for 30mins and if they are not getting anywhere, then they call the parents. Which is completely different than what they state everywhere esle. the kids do not want to go back to kids club, which was quite disappointing. The meals were average - similar to a pub meal with restaurant prices. service at the Pool side bar was pretty average too. I would rather go for a day trip to wet and wild or somewhere similar..... Overall, everything was ok, but a few disappointment put a dampener on our weekend away. And I like to be a bit closer to the beach only a five minute walk, but that's a long way with little ones!!

Room Tip: request a pool view room unless you want to be watching cars go along the gold coast highway!

Dear Familyt752,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us, Whilst we are happy to read that you enjoyed the themed rooms and overall everything was OK, we were dissapointed that the kids didnt enjoy Zone4 kids. We have investigated the lighting in the games room and are in the process of improving the lighting.
Whilst we try to keep all kids entertained through the many activities and entertainment sometimes it just isn't what everyone is expecting.
We are sorry that your children communicated their disappointment and hope that for your next holiday you are able to find a resort more in keeping with your expectations.
regards
David & the Team

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We've just returned from our 4th stay at The Paradise Resort on the Gold Coast and it was the BEST! This was our first stay since the new waterparks were added and it was definitely the big hit to our stay! We went for a play on it everyday. Only downfall to it was that other parents did not supervise their own children like they're meant to, so there was many older kids ruining it for others (this is obviously no fault of PR, as they're not there to take care of your kids and make sure they behave). The staff are always lovely! We did have an issue with ants, but we're adults.. just went down and asked reception if we could borrow some surface spray, husband went and sprayed.. problem solved! An issue occured on busy morning at breakfast, spoke to reception like grown adults should.. problem solved! Too many people want to complain and act like children when problems (most are not even made aware to the PR team) occur and get nowhere. We never had a problem, as the team at Paradise Resort will resolve issues everytime... just be an adult about it people! Saw a few people just fly off their handles and get up staff, when it's obviously not personally their fault! No staff member there deserves to be treated that way.

Anyway.. kids always had a blast at kids club/creche! The staff in both rooms were great with the kids! Our 2 children went everyday of our stay.. they couldn't wait til it was time for kids club. The free play in the morning was good too, especially now we can go for a longer period of time. Also meant our 2 year old could play in the awesome rooms they have in the Z4K section. Our room was perfectly fine for us. We just chose to stay in the basic resort room this stay, as we honestly barely spend any time in the room.. we're always having so much fun! Yes, they are flash... but if it were a fancy room, I would be so worried about my kids breaking something. And honestly, the accommodation is $144 a night... I've done plenty of research and there is NO WHERE that offers what the Paradise Resort does. Even similar can't offer for anywhere near the price! It's about the experience and the fun you have on a holiday, not how fancy your room is! It was serviced everyday too, which a lot of other accommodation doesn't offer either!

The meals at the restaurant and cafe are great and EXTREMELY well priced for a resort/hotel!! Godfather Pizza was the best Pizza I've had in a long time!! Activites are always on and my girls loved the new cupcake decorating!!

We are definitely coming back again... SOON! Best place we've ever stayed and we'll always keep coming back! It'll become our home away from home! Thanks again Paradise Resort for another awesome family holiday!!! :)

Room Tip: Honestly nothing wrong with the basic resort room, you're barely in your room as there's too...
2  Thank Kiesha V
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear Keisha V,
Thank you so very much for your review of Paradise Resort and your coments about the pro-active approach theteam took when dealing with any issues.

We look forward in welcoming you all back and being of service to you and the family in the near future.
kind regards
David and the Team

Reviewed 13 February 2012

this resort has recently gone through some major changes to the pool area. there is now only swimming and water fun for children, which is great for the kids to be super entertained.
at the moment there is a deal for 2 night stay and receive a $50 coles myer voucher.
I'm hoping that with the new owners this will mean refurbishment to the rooms as well. they are clean and comfy but could certainly do with a facelift especially the bathrooms. The airconditioning in the rooms need replacing, they freeeze up all the time.
they now charge for parking undercover and no longer provide pool towels.
the prices at the pool bar/snack lounge are overpriced even kids meals have gone from $5 to $8.
I did notice the resort foyer and entertaining areas seem to be very clean and well maintained.But externally the room wings look tired.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room in wing 2 on the upper floors away from the pool if you would like a quiet ro...

Dear CoxySEQLD,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on your stay at Paradise Resort.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the new water play equipment and can confirm, that as new owners, we are committed in continually improving the property. As you would have experienced we have only recently completed the pool areas and food and beverage outlets along with 21 King Bunk rooms.
In the coming months we will be starting the refurbishment of our rooms.
We hope to see you again and be able to offer you a range of newly updated options.
Kind regards
David and the Team

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Have just returned from a week on the Gold Coast, when planning the holiday did a search on the net for Gold Coast Accommodation and Paradise Resort was on top of the list. I checked it out, showed it to my wife, we looked at other family friendly establishments on the Gold Coast and could not find in our opinion that a. met out tight budget and b. could better the facilities being offered by the Paradise Resort.

The staff were amazing, we arrived on the 5/02/12 Check in was wonderful, we arrived before the check in time of 2pm we were able to get access to our room strait away. In the latter afternoon, went down to the water park, my son disappeared on me and after a search of the water park the Water Park Supervisor was on the Two Way and a team of staff were on the look out for him, he had only gone off to the loo with his mum and had not told me.

The REC Staff were fantastic, my son went to the kids club one evening and although he loved the club when he inspected it that morning he was not that interested in the Structured activities and the career suggested the Creche opposite might be more his style which he went to the following night and didn't want to leave.

The food being offered in the Bistro and Cafe was fantastic, we had most of our meals in the cafe, Cafe and Bistro Staff we excellent, really friendly providing quick service.

The room, yes I agree with other comments that it was dated, but it was clean and tidy, the beds were comfortable, House keeping did a wonderful job, even making sure my son's Mickey Mouse and Snowman were comfortable on the bed also! But really there was nothing with the room that would turn us off from staying again.

Our son wants to know when we can stay again, we will be back that is for sure.

Room Tip: Others have complained about the noise from the highway side by traffic but we didn't notice it
2  Thank Glenn T

Dear Glenn T,
Many thanks for writing a review of your recent stay with us. It was an absolute pleasure to have you and the family with us and to be able to look after you all. We hope to see you again one day in the near future.
kind regards

4 km away
Sea World Resort
Sea World Resort
#2 of 5 in Main Beach

Been to Paradise Resort Gold Coast? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK