See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 January 2018

The room was old but clean. Much more spacious than a hotel room with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, lounge and kitchen area. Loved sitting on one of the three balconies to watch the city lights. The hotel is surrounded by a lovely garden with bbq facilities and picnic tables. It is situated out of the hustle and bustle of Surfers but still within walking distance to Cavill Avenue and Surfers Paradise Beach. Theme park buses leave from within walking distance. The manager was helpful, friendly and went above and beyond to ensure we had a good stay. We had the whole floor for our family.

Room tip: The rooms on floor 12 didn't have air conditioning. You do get nice breezes but very hot with the morning sun shining in.
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2018

I can't believe I paid to stay at this hotel, Reception staff are extremely rude & are barely open, they charged me 50 $ for locking myself out of my room to let me back in, Also took my room deposit & when I asked for a reason was told because of what you did here, I asked politely what I had done wrong & was just given a repeat answer 'because of what you did' I stayed on my own had no visitors. As I was having a break from being Dads carer, the room was filthy & I spent the first day or 2 cleaning it. I DONT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE

Date of stay: February 2017
2  Thank battlek2017
Jimmy L, Manager at The Emerald Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

We can not define who are you as you using only a nick name but from what you mentioned I guess you are Melainie Mc. Firstly, we hardly charge any guest call out fee or room damage last 3 months. Maybe you are having an emotional breakdown and forgot what you have done to the unit. You booked in for you and your sister, for 2 people only. End up you sneak in your daughter and 2 boyfriends and you have several strangers visit daily. You messed the dishwasher and flooded the kitchen, you shuffle all the furniture. you locked yourself out afterhours and your boyfriend attempted to break to the firedoor to get back in the lobby and was caught redhanded. and you left your minor in the unit unattended while you and your boyfriend walk out of the building. afterall you were still trying to stay longer as you are homeless and crying over the reception. I hope you are getting well, but to put a bad rating on internet will not cover what you have done to us. thank you. (However, please come forward and use real name to place a complain if you are not Mel and we are happy to discuss)

Reviewed 11 December 2017

Old, dirty and unkempt. The staff were not helpful at all. It felt dirty and was obvious that the appartments don't get fully cleaned regularly. The kitchen oven and cupboards were also dirty with food.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Christine T
Reviewed 30 October 2017

I stayed in room 1302. The place is so run down it's crazy. The photo's do not look like the hotel we stayed in. They have been photo shopped to the max. However I could look past the broken lamps, peeling paint, rusty/mouldy bathrooms & broken facilities because of it's location & we just needed a place to sleep. However, when I woke up in the morning I was greeted by bed bugs crawling all over my pillow & mattress. On closer inspection my mattress and sheets had blood stains on them and the bugs were also crawling over the ceiling. I have never experienced anything like this before. My skin is still crawling from the situation 24 hours later. We were lucky enough to get our money back for the room however after reading reviews online, it seems this is an ongoing problem that no one cares about. I found reviews from a year ago for the same room stating that it had bed bugs. This is so not acceptable!!! DO NOT STAY HERE they clearly don't care about their guests. If they did they would have corrected the problem by now.

Room tip: Don't book the 13th floor. It's infested with bugs
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2017

The emerald is in a great location with lovely views of Surfers Paradise and the river. It is an older property and therefore has some issues like peeling paint in some areas but it is also priced accordingly. You can't expect 5 star for a 3 star price.

Inside it is clean and comfortable. The Manager, Wayne, is friendly, helpful and courteous and deals with any issues that may arise in an expeditious manner.

Overall we found it to be value for money.

Date of stay: September 2017