Global Backpackers Central
US$ 213
US$ 163
Hotels.com
  • Pool
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$ 127
US$ 121
US$ 271
US$ 152
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$ 95
  • Pool
Cairns Plaza Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$ 107
US$ 82
Agoda.com
Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$ 139
US$ 106
US$ 184
US$ 171
Trip.com
All reviewsbuy nightspier barfab locationbathrooms and showerseast coast tripmiddle of townsocial areatravel deskbig kitchenrooms are bigcommon areashousekeeping staffprivate roomrecommend staying hereport douglasgreat facilitiesair conditioning
Reviewed 24 July 2012

When we arrived our first thoughts were 'great layout for a hostel' but the staff were very rude, this is due to the fact that all the staff and management were backpackers working for accommodation. The kitchen was useless as nothing worked and there was no cooking equipment. They close the common room and then everyone piles into the halls to drink so after 10pm there's no one to control the noise so sleep is not guaranteed. They do provide cheap meals at the pub which is good but we would not go back.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the hallway to minimise noise
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Four of us stayed at Global Backpackers for 3 nights in May. The facilities were great; the rooms were clean and neat, with a convenient ceiling fan, the bathrooms and showers were clean. However, the staff were not helpful. When we were checking out there was a huge line, and one person helping one customer find her reservation to check in. The rest of us had to check out by 10:30, and my friends and I had to catch a flight. Other staff members were around, but not helping out at the desk. The staff also did not seem very knowledgeable about the trips they were selling. We ended up getting great help and service from the Global Backpackers Esplanade, and booked our excursion through them.

Overall, it was good, and other people may not have had the same issues with the staff as we had. We actually met one very helpful staff member, but she was only there one day, and overall, the staff were not accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The hostel is in a excellent location, right in the middle of town. The staff at the front desk were relatively helpful however at times they seemed really unhappy.
The bed's were very poor, me and my friend had bed's with springs poking out of the matress, and the mattress being very flat. The rooms were also quiet small.
The main problem with this hostel is that the common room area's including the balcony and kitchen closed at 10pm. At 10pm everyone who was sat watching tv or chatting on the balcony had to find somewhere else to go to. This meant all the noise went to the corridors or bedrooms. This doesn't make sense as the noise is moving to the worst places. This was the main problem, as we didn't want to go to bed and didn't have money to go out into town and had no where to go. The hostel provide's food vouchers for the local pub which was excellent value. To improve this hostel free wi fi and extend common room times.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My friends and I stayed at this hostel for a little over a week and enjoyed every minute of it.
The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome!
The advice at reception on the great locations we could visit on our stay made our trip very worth wild. They were great with booking us tours at discounted prices.

Would definantly stay again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My friend and I stayed in this hostel for 6 nights. Throughout our entire stay all of the staff on reception were unbelievably unfriendly and rude. One receptionist in particular was very rude and we were lucky to get any kind of response any time we approached the desk. We stayed in a four bed dorm which didn't have a window and had much less space than any of the 6-8 bed dorms. The room was cleaned once throughout that week. The bathrooms were an absolute DISGRACE! Seriously I dreaded going into them as they seemed to never get cleaned and the sanitary disposal units were actually overflowing. The kitchen was fine however the fridges appeared to also never be cleaned and were completely full the entire week. To get plastic cutlery and dishes we had to hand over either our passports or credit card. Absolutely ridiculous having to exchange such important documents for plastic. When I collected my passport the receptionist handed over the entire box of passports and honestly I could've helped myself if I wanted to - unbelieveable!! Overall the location is the best thing going for this hostel. It's right in the centre and the $5 meals in PJ O'Reillys next door is fantastic value for money (although I believe the vouchers are available at many other hostels too). I wouldn't recommend staying here as there are other better options in the same location and at a similar price.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends