“Value for money”

Tropical Heritage Cairns
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 2 October 2017

Stayed here for 2 nights.

Good:
> Clean rooms and bathrooms. Exceeded my expectations for the price.
> Location - Isn't on the waterside or in the center of attraction, but walkable to practically any tourist place of interest. It does get deserted at night post 10PM. Was ok for me as a single male.

Bad:
> No staff on duty between 7PM and 7AM. I flew in at 9PM and had to call a number listed on the door to get the passcode to access the locker that had my room keys. Luckily I had purchased a prepaid Australia sim. I may have had to stay out all night if I didn't have a cell phone. Watch out for this if you are arriving late.

> Phone didn't work. TV didn't work. At least I wasn't able to figure them out.

> Safebox available in the room. But not large enough to put a laptop or ipad.

> Wifi internet very basic and I believe only for 24 hours at a time.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
rosemarycairns, General Manager at Tropical Heritage Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is always good to see guests sharing their opinions.

We do state our reception hours and ask all guests who will be arriving outside of those times to contact the hotel to receive the afterhours arrival instructions. We are a small property and cannot afford the cost of having the reception open for 24 hours a day.

The WIFI system has become rather outdated but we are now in the process of upgrading it to a new modern system that will solve all of the issues that we have around the current system. I am sorry that it was inconvenient to you and hope that you will return to try out the new system.

Thank you again for choosing to stay at the Tropical Heritage Hotel and I hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

After staying at the Tropical Heritage I am confused by previous reviewers who enjoyed their stays. The bed was comfortable and the sheets crisp and clean. The location was near enough to the esplanade to walk down to the pier. The receptionist was cheerful and helpful with our many requests. The room was tiny but the bathroom space was adequate although there was a small bit of what looked like mold on the grout. The height of the bathroom ceiling was one inch above the door. There were no directions for operating the safe but the receptionist helped me. It was disconcerting to hear the shouts of a domestic squabble outside one evening and one morning but I believe that was an unusual event. Most annoying was the need to constantly log onto the internet and get a new code each day. The hotel was not a good fit for this retired couple.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

We get our positive reviews from the many guest who enjoy the service offered by all the staff here at the Tropical Heritage. Over the years we have had thousands of happy customers and our staff are as you say always happy to assist the guest with whatever they need.

I am sorry you were concerned about someone airing their dirty laundry in public but unfortunately there isn’t much that I can do to control the events that take place outside of the hotel on public footpaths. It was an uncommon event that I hope will never be repeated.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

I had asked for fixing the the broken toilet light since the first day I came here, and told the reception for more than 3 times, but even when I left, no one helped me to solve the problem. The broken toilet light made me uncomfortable!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

If you are considering booking the Tropical Heritage I urge you to ignore this review as it won’t apply to you assuming you know how to operate a light switch.

Two house keepers, our housekeeping supervisor, our maintenance person, two receptionists and myself all looked for the problem with your bathroom light while you were staying in the hotel but not one of us could find anything wrong with it. That is why the problem wasn’t "solved", because as far as we could tell their was no problem.

Your room has been occupied almost solidly since you checked out with no maintenance being carried out and we haven’t had a complaint from a single other person that anything was not working.

I am sorry everything was not as you expected but I can only solve problems that I can find and after almost half my workers looked for it and the numerous other guests have stayed in that room without indecent I am not sure that it even existed in the first place.

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

At short notice I managed to find a room at the Heritage. The room is very basic, the bed comfortable and clean. The shower has a strong water flow and the water is hot. The location is not far from the centre of Cairns, located on a quite street and no noise from traffic. For its price I would recommend the Heritage for a short or long term stay.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian D

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is always good to see guests sharing their opinions and especially their recommendations with the public.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

We lucked out with room 201 with two single beds and decent size wardrobe and separate lounge room with 3 seater lounge and two armchairs. Two balconies off bedroom and lounge with small table & chairs but no view. Small kitchenette area with bar fridge, microwave, toaster and kettle and a variety of cutlery and crockery. Nice size TV in lounge and smaller one in bedroom which we didn't use. Air conditioners in the lounge and bedroom which we also didn't use. Small table with two chairs for eating breakfast. Decent sized bathroom (no bath) had the usual towels & facecloths with 2 small soaps and 2 small shampoo & conditioners. Shower hot with adequate pressure. Free internet but quite slow. We came with two other couples who got rooms 208 and 308 which was a standard hotel room and we all paid the same price even though ours had the lounge room. Walking distance to the Esplanade which is full of restaurants and very lively plus the Night market mall and Woolworths. Very convenient locations at a very reasonable price. Definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RosBondi

Sounds like you really did luck out and received a complementary upgrade to one of our suits. I am very glad that you enjoyed the room and found the hotel to your liking.