“Hidden Gem away from bustle of Esplanade”

iyara by Sakare Thai cuisine
Ranked #69 of 667 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2017

you will have to pay attention to where you're going otherwise you might miss the staircase leading up to this great restaurant. It has a good sized balcony overlooking the Esplanade and yet the noise from below doesn't seem to bother you. The service is prompt and the food is great! The green curry was just the right amount of spice/hotness and the softshell crab salad was wonderfully crunchy and sweet.

Reviewed 5 April 2017

This is a delicious thai place in the middle of the Esplanade. It's hard to find because the main restaurant is upstairs, and the entryway is barely visible from the street. Some nights there may be a waitress advertising / promoting the restaurant. Don't think that means it's not a good restaurant. To the contrary- it's excellent. My husband and I passed it up our second night on the esplanade and really regret not eating here that night.

They have options for both vegetarians and meat eaters. We tried the vegetable green curry and the special stir-fry chicken with green peppers, onions and cashews. The green curry was excellent and the stir-fry chicken was good. The green curry was quite spicy, so if you cannot handle spice, you may want to tell them to make it mild.

It is hard to review this place without talking about the truly exceptional service provided. I don't know our waiter's name, but he's like a waiter-machine. Not only did he always refill our water glass, but anything at all that we needed, he was there to help us with. I dropped my napkin and within 5 seconds he had picked it up and was handing me a new one. My husband went to go use the bathroom and without even asking where it was, he pointed him in the right direction. He also co-works as the bar tender on site. Try the ciders! They are very good. We had the apple cider and it tasted like drinking sparkling apple water. Very crisp and refreshing.

On a nice night, you may enjoy sitting outside on the balcony, which overlooks the Esplanade. The decor and ambience are great. Good for groups or date night. It is a bit expensive and that was really the only negative thing I can say about the place. We ended up paying $80 AUD, for 1 drink, two main dishes, and a side of rice.

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

I always look forward to coming to Cairns so that I can have some delicious Thai at my favourite Thai restaurant in Cairns. Never disappoints. Great location, great service and excellent fresh Thai food.

Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

We were looking at the menu outside the restaurant last night when a fellow came out, stopped, and told me that he just had the best Thai meal ever. Ok, that's good enough for me to try.
We just walked away with the same opinion: outstanding food.
Iyara is not a large restaurant so it maintained a nice atmosphere even when 3/4 full, with a view out onto a park and the harbour.
The service was not lightning fast but that is nice for an unhurried meal. Appetizer and all mains were excellent and quite sufficient in quantity. My wife said her vegetarian Pad Thai was the best she ever had, and that includes meals in Thailand. My Massaman curry & Jasmine rice was similarly wonderful, being both flavourful and with a nice spiciness to it.
They have a good selection of beers and wines, too.
You should definitely try Iyara.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

Easy to miss but a great find, not our first visit but a nice restaurant with good service and lots of options. 1st floor so out of the busy traffic and a peaceful place to eat