“Cairns is the place to be”

Cairns Central YHA Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #20 of 82 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 20 June 2012

If you are blowing all of your money as your just about to return home.. as we did. It's close to the barrier reef so were able to scuba dive. Lots of activities are organisable in the Hostel itself, with leaflets etc, then they picked us up from outside the Hostel to go Skydiving, yes it was amazing. All the staff were very friendly, and the rooms were spacious even though they were shared. Don't have any complaints but don't think it warrants a 5 out of 5, you know what I mean. But I would recommend this place, and would go back here if I went to back to Cairns.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andy P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Had a wonderful time in Cairns, was able to go on the Great Barrier Reef thanks to the booking done at the YHA, sweet :) Very clean facilities, very friendly staff especially Amandine who helped me to book some activities and the airport pickup :) H.R

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Friendly staff, specially Amandine ! Thanks to her for everything !
great facilities, clean, perfect spot

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 weeks in a 4 share female dorm with bathroom. Room was great although the air con broke near the end of my stay which the reception staff quickly apologized for and offered everyone a new room which everyone took but me. the air con fan was working and was pleasantly blowing on me so they let me stay in the room and I had the dorm to myself for 4 nites- bonus! However the floor of the main part of the room was not washed while I stayed there but the bathroom was every other day. Also there was a trail of ants going up the wall by my bed - but this is the tropics so there will be- and a bit of deet sprayed on the wall and around the bed and I didn't see them again! Reception staff were friendly and booked me my reef and rainforest tour and also sorted out booking an underwater camara for the trip! FREE $120 worth intro dive when book through yha with Reef Magic!!! Reception staff remembered my name which was nice! They also sorted out a booking mistake I had made with another hostel! I didn't use the kitchen so cannot comment on that. Location was great 30 seconds to the mall with shopping and food court! 10mins-15 if slow walk to the sea front. The bar nextdoor had music - which doesn't bother me (also ear plugs help in any hostel)- as stopped at about midnight which I thought quite reasonable. The hostel had great deals on in the evening burger nite pizza nite all for cheap prices also FREE cheese and wine nite!!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 12 May 2012

There are some YHA hostels that are outstanding, and this is not one of them. The facilities are tidy and convenient, and the outside deck and pool are nice, but for me this wasn't enough. The staff were polite but not particularly enthusiastic in answering questions. The rooms were ok, I stayed in a 4 bed ensuite and felt that $30 a night for this, with no free wifi, was a bit of a rip. The staff also managed to charge me $10 to park my car in the back, neglecting to inform me that as it was Anzac Day the next day, all carparking in Cairns city was actually free from 5pm - thanks guys! Great location, you are a short walk from shops, pubs, grocery stores etc. But for me there was just no personality and no real opportunities provided to socialise with other guests. I'd prefer to stay somewhere a little more colourful and warm (interaction wise- not temperature wise!)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple