I stayed at the Rydges Tradewinds Cairns for 6 nights, March 12-17,2012,during the second half of my Australian vacation. When I had researched it,I was happy with the advertised price of 110 AUD/night,but found that if I signed up for the hotels "frequent flyer" program,I got an additional 10% discount.Add that to the 3 night diiscount and I wound up paying $88 AUD/night!
After staying in a budget boutique hotel in Sydney,I was ready for a hotel with some more amenities. This hotel greeted me with a huge lobby filled with couches/chairs,a cybercafe corner,and views of their tropical designed pool(complete with waterfall and palm trees). I liked my inital room,which was clean with a queen size bed and a single bed,TV,desk,and full size bathroom and balcony overlooking the pool. Of course,there was also a mini-bar and fridge. I would have been fine with this room;however,when I went downstairs to inquire about in-room WiFi,I was told that it was only available on certain floors(I was on floor 2). The front desk clerk asked if i wanted to switch,and I hadnt unpacked yet,so I said ok. To my surprise,she upgraded me to an ocean view room on the 6th floor with a king size bed,flat screen TV, and separate sitting area near the balcony for NO charge!
The room was PERFECT,and I had no issues mentioned in other reviews with bugs,dirt, noise,etc.I especially loved the "fuzzy" blanket that seems to be the comforter of choice in OZ(like an extra thick chenille blanket).
The only qualm was that the WiFi was actually a broadband connection,for $20/day(pricy!!). I had some trouble initially connecting,but took my laptop downstairs where two of the front desk peeps took time to look at it and get it working:) Other options are buying hour increments of WiFi that you can use in the lobby/pool area(I think it was $5/hr) or use their computers in the cybercafe for $2/20 min. Its expensive.
I had also ordered a "welcome" bottle of wine,and it came up in an ice bucket with glasses-nice touch!
With the frequent guest card, I got a free drink at their restaurant. I could have had a 20% discount on meals,but I never did end up eating there,so can't really comment on the food. The seating area appeared nice though,overlooking the pool and the boardwalk.
As for location,it is at the top of the Esplanade-the actual "board"walk,seaside,is right across the street for joggers,etc. About 2 blocks south is where you start getting to the main drag of shops,cafes,hostels,etc. There are restaurants of EVERY type within a 5-10 minute walk. The marina is about a 20 minute walk if you aren't in a hurry.
Also,there is a tour desk in the lobby,where the agent is VERY well informed on different excursions,and there are a zillion brochures. She was able to book a few different activities for me,one of them at the last minute without a fuss. Most of the tours will come directly to the hotel.
The pool was beautifully designed,well kept up,and quiet at this time of year,due to heat and rain,I assume. i went out there one dry,sunny morning.A slightly random thing-the "hot tub" at the pool isn't actually heated.I discovered this when i wanted to hang out there one evening and found it ice cold.The front desk guy told me that they dont tend to heat the hot tubs in Cairns(?) but that the other Rydges property had an actual hot tub,and guests were welcome to go over there. It wasn't that big of a deal,so I didn't.
All in all,it was a very pleasant stay,everyone was polite and helpful,and it was an unbelievable value for the price. I would definately stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Cairns hotel suites are convenient to Cairns lagoon precinct, where guests can take a dip in the clear, blue water or enjoy sunning on sandy shores. Nearby departure points for The Great Barrier Reef make it easy for guests staying in our Cairns hotel accommodation to explore its incredible natural beauty. The Cairns city centre is also within walking distance and offers premier area shopping and dining hotspots. We offer 246 Cairns hotel rooms exceptionally equipped with desirable features. Most rooms open onto a private balcony overlooking scenic views of the ocean, tropical gardens and swimming pool. All rooms are en-suite and boast complimentary WI-FI, a mini-bar, iron and ironing board and secure safe. Rydges Tradewinds is also pleased to offer recently released movies and games for hire on tablet computers. The cost is just $15 per 24 hours for a tablet which plugs directly into your room TV. Our Cairns hotel executive suites and ocean front rooms include luxurious signature Rydges Dream Beds where guests can rest from the adventures of the day. A variety of Cairns hotel rooms are available to perfectly suit those seeking business, leisure or family accommodation. Dining is available at the onsite restaurant, Drift on the Esplanade, where guests can enjoy a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner overlooking the Coral Sea. Spa by the Sea offers guests seeking relaxation luxurious onsite spa treatments. Those staying at the hotel for a Cairns event will appreciate its conference and events facilities, capable of hosting up to 500 guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Rydges Tradewinds Cairns reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Tradewinds Cairns Hotel Cairns
- Rydges Tradewinds Hotel Cairns
- Cairns Rydges Tradewinds Hotel