“Luxury at budget price!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges Tradewinds Cairns

Rydges Tradewinds Cairns
Ranked #29 of 66 Hotels in Cairns
New York City, New York
“Luxury at budget price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

I stayed at the Rydges Tradewinds Cairns for 6 nights, March 12-17,2012,during the second half of my Australian vacation. When I had researched it,I was happy with the advertised price of 110 AUD/night,but found that if I signed up for the hotels "frequent flyer" program,I got an additional 10% discount.Add that to the 3 night diiscount and I wound up paying $88 AUD/night!

After staying in a budget boutique hotel in Sydney,I was ready for a hotel with some more amenities. This hotel greeted me with a huge lobby filled with couches/chairs,a cybercafe corner,and views of their tropical designed pool(complete with waterfall and palm trees). I liked my inital room,which was clean with a queen size bed and a single bed,TV,desk,and full size bathroom and balcony overlooking the pool. Of course,there was also a mini-bar and fridge. I would have been fine with this room;however,when I went downstairs to inquire about in-room WiFi,I was told that it was only available on certain floors(I was on floor 2). The front desk clerk asked if i wanted to switch,and I hadnt unpacked yet,so I said ok. To my surprise,she upgraded me to an ocean view room on the 6th floor with a king size bed,flat screen TV, and separate sitting area near the balcony for NO charge!

The room was PERFECT,and I had no issues mentioned in other reviews with bugs,dirt, noise,etc.I especially loved the "fuzzy" blanket that seems to be the comforter of choice in OZ(like an extra thick chenille blanket).

The only qualm was that the WiFi was actually a broadband connection,for $20/day(pricy!!). I had some trouble initially connecting,but took my laptop downstairs where two of the front desk peeps took time to look at it and get it working:) Other options are buying hour increments of WiFi that you can use in the lobby/pool area(I think it was $5/hr) or use their computers in the cybercafe for $2/20 min. Its expensive.

I had also ordered a "welcome" bottle of wine,and it came up in an ice bucket with glasses-nice touch!

With the frequent guest card, I got a free drink at their restaurant. I could have had a 20% discount on meals,but I never did end up eating there,so can't really comment on the food. The seating area appeared nice though,overlooking the pool and the boardwalk.

As for location,it is at the top of the Esplanade-the actual "board"walk,seaside,is right across the street for joggers,etc. About 2 blocks south is where you start getting to the main drag of shops,cafes,hostels,etc. There are restaurants of EVERY type within a 5-10 minute walk. The marina is about a 20 minute walk if you aren't in a hurry.

Also,there is a tour desk in the lobby,where the agent is VERY well informed on different excursions,and there are a zillion brochures. She was able to book a few different activities for me,one of them at the last minute without a fuss. Most of the tours will come directly to the hotel.

The pool was beautifully designed,well kept up,and quiet at this time of year,due to heat and rain,I assume. i went out there one dry,sunny morning.A slightly random thing-the "hot tub" at the pool isn't actually heated.I discovered this when i wanted to hang out there one evening and found it ice cold.The front desk guy told me that they dont tend to heat the hot tubs in Cairns(?) but that the other Rydges property had an actual hot tub,and guests were welcome to go over there. It wasn't that big of a deal,so I didn't.

All in all,it was a very pleasant stay,everyone was polite and helpful,and it was an unbelievable value for the price. I would definately stay here again!

Room Tip: If you want to use the broadband WiFi at any point,let them know this ahead of time,since you have t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Sunbird121
, General Manager at Rydges Tradewinds Cairns, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

GM
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We had 5 nights at the Tradewinds over Easter. The room was a little bit dated, however the bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept in, in a hotel. There was plenty of hot water any time of the day and the shower was really powerful. The room had all the extras you could need, tea making facilities, minibar etc. We got a good last minute price which made it very good value for money.

Only thing against this hotel was the pool was great, however there were very few sunbeds and we were never lucky enough to get one.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I could not believe how comfortable and enjoyable was our stay for the last 3 nights at this hotel. We got a large & clean double room on 5th floor with ocean views. It is located very close to a number of restaurants and shops along the Esplanade. The front desk staff was friendly, and helpful. We got a great deal through online booking and it was simply a great value for money.

Room Tip: Higher floors on waterfront side offer great views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind comments!

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Could not be happier in the lovely big king bed room with comfy chairs to sit in as well. My room has not been upgraded as such, but very happy with the last minute price I got too!

Room Tip: If you want the king bed then ask for it!! otherwise you will get 2 queens or 1 queen and single.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dream bed and the views from your room.

We would love to see you stay with us again soon.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in a room with a partial seaview on the 6th floor, which is designated an executive floor. The room was large with a flat screen TV, drawer space, reasonable wardrobe space, iron & board, minibar, tea-making facilities, desk with chair, 2 armchairs and a coffee table. The room had air conditioning and a ceiling fan which I personally liked as too much AC has a very drying effect. We had a private balcony with 2 chairs and a very small low table. The bathroom was of adequate size with a shower over the bath.

There was a nice pool area with a few sunbeds but no parasols (why?) and not much natural shade. The pool was very warm and pool towels were provided.

After having free or very cheap wifi in New Zealand for the previous 3 weeks I felt that the wifi was a little expensive– so I declined.

The breakfast was expensive and from what we saw of it, didn't look very appetising so we opted to eat out and there are plenty of places providing good cheap breakfasts further down the esplanade.

The location of the hotel is very good – not far to walk to the shops and restaurants but quiet at night. All the staff encountered were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind comments. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

regards