“Novatel Carins - oasis”

Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 13 September 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Well i recommend this hotel to all types of families. Good wheel chair access. All the staff were very friendly. The cleaners did a excellent job even with my 4 children in a room for a week. The beds were soft to sleep in. TV had the latest movies, cost $14.95ea. And kid channels for the littles ones. Room service was wonderful. Could do with a little more choices of food. The meals are of a standard size.Great for people whom don't eat big meals. The pool area was wonderful with one side with sand around and going to the pool, great for the little ones to play. And a kids pool with the depth of a 3 year old can stand with her/ his head is out of the water. The pool bar was great. There is a car hire place that has baby/ kid seats for hire across the road and laundry mat with the price at $4 to wash in cold water extra for warm and hot washes and $1 for 7min per drying time. Washing powders $2 per box. Easy walking to the centre of town, restaurants and the beach/pool. Taxi service was on time and cost was a bit high. Just want to say THANK YOU NOVOTEL CAIRNS OASIS RESORT for making my holiday a perfect and relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed for one night en-route from Port Douglas to Brisbane after staying at the stunning Sheraton Mirage. As Accor members for the last 7 years this was our first disappointment at an Accor Hotel.
The hotel was well located in Cairns and check-in was quick and efficient and the staff pleasant.
Shortly after check-in I went to the bar to get some hot drinks to be told by a brand new staff member who only commenced wortk with this hotel 20 minutes earlier, he was not sure how long it would take as the machine was not turned on. After 5 minutes the bar manager arrived and said I could have a latte but not a Chai Latte (a bit sad that a hotel of this calibre cannot make a Chai Latte when McDonalds can). He went off to get 2 Latte's from the restaurant but they were nowhere near hot, also in other Accor Hotels I have received discount on Coffee from the restaurant but he said this was not the case, which I accepted after he ranted on about terms and conditions in front of other guests as I was getting embarrassed and just wanted to get away from him.
That evening at dinner the same gentleman seated us and he was a lot more pleasant, however we were disappointed in the way the steaks ordered were cooked, medium/well was charred and cooked to a crisp on the outside tasting like leather. We informed the waitress but when the restaurant manager asked how our meal was we just said fine as I did not feel like another confrontation.
When we retired for the evening we noted that the air-conditioner was blowing out warm air but when we went to turn the temperature down we noted is was already set to 17 degrees, so we had a very warm night. Decided not to make an issue of the air-con as I did not want to become labellled a serial complainer
Breakfast the following morning was very nice with the option to dine inside or out.
The pool area was very nice though as it was not that hot outside we did not avail ourselves of it, though on reflection it would have been useful to cool off in the middle of the night.
Reception staff were very helpful the following morning, weighing our luggage before departure for the airport and check-out was smooth and friendly, we did inform them of the faulty air-conditioner too.
I would probably give this hotel another chance, though I would choose Macca's for a coffee and would not dine in again. Also if staying longer than one night and would also get moved to a room with better air-conditioning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2012

My room had small balcony - it is nice to get some fresh air. The pool was one with sand and look lovely but in winter the water was too cold to swim. I was disappointed that I couldn't find a spa near the pool. However there is a deck for cocktails near the pool area. The location of the hotel was only a short walk to the esplanade and restaurants. The hotel is also away from the touristy backpacker area of Cairns which suited me.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on a recent business trip. It was a bit of a hike from reception to the wing where my room was. The main issue was the size of the bed. I am 6'2" and I recon my feet stuck out the end of the bed a foot. Being a stomach sleeper I woke up with really sore knees. The ensuite was also really dated and noisy early with kids yelling in the pool. If your tall, beware the beds.

• Stayed: August 2012